Hunting apps for smartphones

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Hunting apps for smartphones

Post by Pydpiper »

A year or two ago I had a fall, stepped off a roof and my ladder gave way, 22' drop, landed on my back on my ladder, ladder slid again and rolled me down 7 concrete steps. Would have been a funny video to watch, if it didn't hurt so much.
Bottom line, I was alone at a customers house, and I was lucky to get up.
So I got an app for my phone, it detects falls and sends an email and text to my wife with a pinpoint map on Google maps. It is a very impressive free app for people who are in a position to take a fall.
It is called "FADE", after a fall you can set the amount of time you can recover, and avoid the emergency text (or call). It is a great peace of mind for work and pleasure.

I see BlackBerry finally released BBM for android, it is the only thing I miss about my BB. Prepare to wait, it is in the app store, free and jammed up.

"Huntgeek", is another I use, it instantly locates you, and gives you legal light hours for your location, vibrates to tell you the hunt is over, or beginning.

"Fish and Hunt", another sunset alarm, but it also incorporates moonphase charts, wind direction, temperature.

"Backcountry navigator", one of my few paid apps, topographic maps with a built in compass. I do not use it locally, but it comes in handy way north where it will locate logging trails, beaver dams and any other point of interest to a hunter. It works off the cellular system and on the phones internal GPS.

Now the Chrony app, still working on that one..

GoPro app, I can put my GoPro on the tree facing backwards, and from my phone screen watch a very impressive wide angle view of the woods behind me. Or mount the camera at ground level and record the hunt from eye level of the quarry, all camera functions done from the phone.

The fall detector is pretty much all I use, or at least use for a reason other than boredom.

Any suggestible apps?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
evaughan

Re: Hunting apps for smartphones

Post by evaughan »

Windfinder.com

Hourly wind forecasting up to 5 days out, speed and vector. Pretty much determines which days I hunt and which stands.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just grabbed that one, that is pretty cool!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Pyd: I think you need an app that will hold the ladder!

Geeze, that's quite the fall.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Not exactly a hunting app but the "Ballistic" app by Jonathan Zdziarski is a great ballistics calculator for setting up your deer rifle. It's not free though, I think it was around $10.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I start hunging when I see them and stop when I can't. :shock:

How far do you have to fall before it's determined to be a fall? I don't climb trees, but, I do fall.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

My father fell from a 15' ladder stand and died. If one of us could've gotten a text when he fell that could've changed the outcome. Thanks for the info on the app. It's going on my phone now.
Matrix 355
Diablos with 150 BC (not very imaginative, but accurate)

"Put on your harness. If you fall today, you can't hunt tomorrow"
Drew

Post by Drew »

My brother in law and I use ScoutLook. You can drop waypoints at your stand locations and it will show wind direction, scent cone, etc. It really helps us determine which stands to use based on wind and our approach to the stands.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

In the US, I use the NWS site:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

While not a app, it generates a graphical forecast for any targeted area. Been using it for years. It also allows quick access to realtime radar images. No advertising.

To change for your location, look on the lower right for the 7 day forecast. On that page you can enter your zip code. Then click on the graphical strip chart box, again on the lower left.

You can also select a remote area forecast by using the "click map for forecast" function (again in the lower area of the 7 day forecast.)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

one shot scott wrote:Pyd: I think you need an app that will hold the ladder!
Geeze, that's quite the fall.
It was raining, and I had a promise to my customer to get it done by the weekend.. Just business..
Told the wife I was going to get a petite blonde to hold my ladder, better on gas if she were slim..
She looked me straight in the eye and said, "if that's what it takes to bring you home every day, we will put her on payroll".
I opted for no more ladders.
Falling isn't all that bad, kind of freeing for the spirit, it was the landing that sucked.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Found a new app, it is pretty awesome for hunting.
When your stands are entered it keeps track of them, and a wind arrow across the top of each stand. Accurate weather as well as sunset/sunrise times.
I have it on Android, and I think it is on Apple stuff too.
I emailed him to see if he can add a metric conversion, he quickly responded, positively.

It is called "Antler Insanity"
WMU 91
Boo string
ponyboy1995

Post by ponyboy1995 »

I use 2 hunting apps on a regular basis. one is called "ScoutLook" by Mossy Oak.
It is a great app. It allows you to mark your stands and will give you wind direction for each stand predicts wind direction for the next 3 days. It is very accurate on my land. It also shows official sunrise & sunset times, lunar phases, and weather forecast for 5 days out. awesome app!

The second app is called "Time2Hunt". This app gives uses moon phases to predict and rate hunting days and times. It rates the day for deer hunting and then gives you the best time range for a morning hunt and best time range for an evening hunt. of course nothing can predict nature, however, I see deer on my cameras when it says the deer are moving. could just be a coincidence.

Great thread. I will be downloading the fall notification app. thanks for the info.

Joe
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Fade. ?

Google android app or apple app

Thks found it

It would be great for those posting to indicate app type ( os)

Thks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Fade, the fall app, works perfectly. The only time I can see it being a problem is if you drop your phone. It allows you to adjust the time needed to "recover" before it sends out the dreaded message, but I think it tops out at 60 seconds. Another time while setting it up, I sent a false message and email to my wife, a few seconds of panic was solved by a phone call to cancel. Poor girl thought I had a fall, when I was sitting comfortably on the couch pushing buttons.
"Time to hunt" is great too, once set up it will allow you to program actual hunting times, like the half hour before and after sunset. The phone will vibrate to let you know when those times are present.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

sumner4991 wrote:How far do you have to fall before it's determined to be a fall? I don't climb trees, but, I do fall.
It has three settings, depending on what activity you are participating in. From grandma walking around in the house to aggressive sports. One button use. If activated, it gives you time to cancel the call for help.

If you fall, and do not recover, it sends out an email and/or a text to whoever you preprogramed it to. It will tell them you had a fall, and also include a pinpoint location to where you are.

And no, before you ask, I did not fall 52 times, that is the 60 second countdown working away. :lol:
WMU 91
Boo string