Newbie hunter ? Regarding tree stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Re: Newbie hunter ? Regarding tree stands

Post by taz3 »

After watching the safety video, it is also important to have yourself correctly strapped in and at the right height relative to the platform too. It recommends when you are seated the tree strap should be tight so you cannot fall any lower then you sit, the harness can do damage or worse if you hang to long in it because it cuts off circulation. Strapped in at the correct height will allow for an easy self recovery should you fall from the stand.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

You are 100% correct Taz3. The whole point of a harness is to keep you IN the stand to start with.
The hunter safety systems vests are IMO the best thing out there. They take all of about 10 seconds (if that long) to put on and are secure, comfortable, and they come with straps with loops to put your feet in so you can lift your weight up and take the pressure off the femoral arteries in the event you do take a fall and are left hanging for a while. Lots of folks maybe don't realize that, you can die just as easily by hanging in a harness as you can from falling.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Learned something new today. I have a cheapie vest, but I wear it. Seen a small nylon pouch with a strap in it, couldn't figure out what it was.
Now I know.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pydpiper wrote:Learned something new today. I have a cheapie vest, but I wear it. Seen a small nylon pouch with a strap in it, couldn't figure out what it was.
Now I know.
Pressure relief strap. I also make sure i have a knife I can reach in a hurry.

If you ever hang from a harness for any length of time and then make your way down to the ground DON'T LAY DOWN. Walk around a bit.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
strum

Post by strum »

if I don't have a harness I don't get off the ground period.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Same here Strum. Mr Murphy's always waiting.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Google suspension trauma. This from OSHA's website
https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib032404.html

"Prolonged suspension from fall arrest systems can cause orthostatic intolerance, which, in turn, can result in serious physical injury, or potentially, death. Research indicates that suspension in a fall arrest device can result in unconsciousness, followed by death, in less than 30 minutes[4]. "

Use a harness, use it properly. Enough said
Matrix 380
Exomag
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had my two-man ladder stand in the same (big oak) tree for several years now. I check the straps annually, and have never had to replace one yet. It has two straps and a cable (with a lock) on it, though. I figure even if one strap breaks it isn't going to fall. I even have on of the back braces on the stand lag bolted to the tree (not a safety measure, but a squeak cure). :lol:

Most manufacturers want to print such warnings to protect themselves from liability. If the stand has been out for more than two weeks and the strap breaks they've covered their butt if you didn't move the stand (and in real life who is going to go through that ordeal if it seems secure?).
wabi
strum

Post by strum »

on the subject on harnesses..
I believe you must test yours out at least every season..
get a friend to help . set you stand up just off the ground and hook up the harness then ease off the stand . try to work out how to get back on stand or back to the ground. this test may save you life.
I figured out that if I can get turned with the tree to my front I have a lot of control. I also figured out its a lot harder than I thought.
I too use the HSS harness love it..
do not ever use the kind that is just a chest strap.
I tested mine(had been using it for years) and I realized that it cuts off all the air. so you have about 1 min to get back on stand or youll be out of air and die..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Mine are also cabled and locked to the tree, partly to deter theft, but more as an added safety measure. Maybe I'm in a little different situation, I'm in a club on leased land and other people are welcome to hunt my stands and they do, so I have a responsibility to the next guy to make sure the stands are as safe as I can make them.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I leave mine up all year as i have nine out. And i have had three straps break but for last ten years i ALWAYS put a chain around them along with the strap, i will not get in any stand without a chain on it.