Finally scored on #2 last night

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Finally scored on #2 last night

Post by nchunterkw »

After scoring on a doe the 2nd week of the season here, it has been a little bit tough. Gun season came in 2 weeks ago in this particular county, so lots of deer have already been taken by rifle hunters. Still, I prefer my crossbow. I had been seeing evidence of deer activity around some corn I had out, but not seeing any deer. In stead I had been seeing them by my truck in the evening darkness as I walked out. :roll: I was beginning to think all of the activity I was seeing was happening after dark. So last night I debated on where to sit, and went with the corn again. That proved to be a good decision.
I decided to change my setup some after looking around a bit more, and sat beside a small conifer, with some brush and weeds to my front. I was wearing my usual "Leafy Wear" suit. As I was only 17yds from the corn, I sat completely still with my bow up at my shoulder supported by a monopod for about an hour. I knew I would not have time to pull it up or even move a muscle if a deer came in so I just stuck it out. Finally I saw something flash to my left in the weeds. It was an ear. Slowly the deer worked it's way through the weeds/new growth pines to the corn. There was not much left so it was scratching around etc., for the last few bites. After about 5 min. it was almost clear of the last bush one more step and I would have a perfect broadside shot at 15yds. She waited and waited then took a bite and raised it's head. She saw me at that point but didn't know what I was, so she took two more steps bobbing it's head at me. Now slightly quartering to, I put the crosshair just in front of the shoulder and let the arrow loose. It was tipped with a 150gr Slick Trick Xbow Trick. I heard the tell tale splat followed quickly by a whack. Everything seemed good. Checked my watch and it was 6:10pm. I waited about 5 min and looked for the arrow. As I suspected it was stuck in the side of a tree, but it came out easily, and didn't look damaged at all. Even the feather fletchings didn't look damaged. Hmmmmmm. In fact I could not see much blood on the arrow, although there was definitely blood. Hmmmm again. Then I took a look in the direction she ran. Within 2yds there were several large drops of blood, obviously coming out of both sides and some seven sprayed forward. Very good. I went back to my spot, packed everything up and waited another 5 min. as I wanted to get on that blood trail before dark . If it was a double lung I knew she would not be far. So I wanted to go at least 50 yards on it. All was well. I think she only made it about 40 yards total. (good thing because it was pretty thick where she ran). The Slick Trick made a great hole and gave me a very good blood trail to follow. Lots of blood initially, then it tapered off a bit (while she was filling up) then steadily increasing to the deer.
Thank You Lord, for allowing me to harvest one of your beautiful creations. She won't go to waste.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mr meat

Re: Finally scored on #2 last night

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Congrats! way to go I,m still looking for my first :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATS on the harvest!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Congrats :D
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »