what time do you set your feeder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

what time do you set your feeder?

Post by bobcattrapper »

I'm new to this feeder stuff.Thought I'd try it this year to get closer to the deer for a crossbow shot.I had it set for 8AM and 4PM.I seldon see deer come to it tell about a hour after it went off.Think it might scare em.They do come in though.Mostly all does and yearlings.I see pics of bucks about a hour after dark on my trail cam.So I set my timer to go off once at noon the other day for 5 sec to see what happens.Mines a moultrie bucket feeder I hang in a tree about 10 feet up on .So how do you set yours up? I should have mentioned I have seen a few does on my trail cam shortly after 8AM or before when I set in my stand.I just don't see as many then.So I thought by setting it at noon might be good.
steve rodo

Re: what time do you set your feeder?

Post by steve rodo »

I run 3 feeder's in a triangle.My time's i use are 7;am 7;30 am 8;00am & 6;30pm here.But my feeder's are 200 plus yard's away out of sight.Law here.
I just try to back track them in the triangle,maybe get lucky to get a shot.Some time's i get right in the middle of the triangle,if the wind is right.A good west wind is good for me .
Deer are habit creating animal's.They will get trained to go to the feeder's as they hear it go off flinging corn.Untill season really kick's in, then that all change's .lol
Still have to be at the right place at the right time .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
rayman

Post by rayman »

1/2 hr after first light and 1.5 to 2 hr before dark. Reaction seems to depend upon how hungry the deer are and how used to the feeder they have become. Sometimes I have better luck just putting the corn out on the ground. :)
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

bobcattrapper wrote:I'm new to this feeder stuff.Thought I'd try it this year to get closer to the deer for a crossbow shot.I had it set for 8AM and 4PM.I seldon see deer come to it tell about a hour after it went off.Think it might scare em.They do come in though.Mostly all does and yearlings.I see pics of bucks about a hour after dark on my trail cam.So I set my timer to go off once at noon the other day for 5 sec to see what happens.Mines a moultrie bucket feeder I hang in a tree about 10 feet up on .So how do you set yours up? I should have mentioned I have seen a few does on my trail cam shortly after 8AM or before when I set in my stand.I just don't see as many then.So I thought by setting it at noon might be good.
Sun up and sun down.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Morning at legal shooting time which is 30 minutes before sunrise.
Evening at 1 hour before sunset with 30 more minutes of legal shooting time.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone