Sighting in the scope on the Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brborb

Sighting in the scope on the Matrix 380

Post by brborb »

I am upgrading my xbow to the matrix 380 to get more distance and accuracy for hunting.

As I understand it, the Matrix 380 has a reticle with 20-60 yard ticks.

Most of my shots in the field will be in the 30 to 70 yard range.

My question is what is the optimal way to sight in this scope/bow? Usually when the 20 is dead on, the 50 or 60 is off and if you get the 50 or 60 dead on, the shorter shots are not as accurate.

When I do the usual sighting in at the 20 yard crosshairs the high yardage shots can start to get inaccurate.

Should I sight in primarily at the 30 or 40 yard tics to minimize the accuracy of variation on the outlier ranges of 20 or 60?

Any rec's on the best happy medium to maintain accuracy at both short and long ranges?

Any info appreciated.

Also, if anyone has experience with the 380 can you tell me how accurate is it in general in the longer extreme ranges of 60-70 yards.

Thanks
Boo

Re: Sighting in the scope on the Matrix 380

Post by Boo »

There are instructions about 3/4 of the page down on this page http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html
I would sight it in as per the numbers on the lower reticle. The only reason I wouldn't is the fear of screwing up under pressure. It works well for most who want to use it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

IMO getting a 380 will not increase your effective killing range and 70y shots at deer or other 'jumpy' game is dicey business. The crossbow is too loud, the deer will be on its way before the arrow gets there, keep in mind your not shooting a compound anymore and keep shots reasonable, like within 40y. I own a Vixen and an M380, and I would never even think about taking deer at the ranges you mention with either bow. Maybe you don't hunt deer, but at 70y you'll have to account for crosswinds. Again, speaking from experience and in my opinion...don't want to touch off the whole ethics debate here.

I don't practice past 50y, but on a good day I can put three arrows in 3" circle at that distance but there are many marksmen with way more skill than me that have tighter groups.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on the shorter than 70 yd ranges. There's always another day or hunt.

Slow down a bit on the speed ring, the closer you get to perfection, the lesser amount you twist it.
"Eze 18:21"
chrisbp

Post by chrisbp »

I got the same feeling when I dispatch some bolts with Matrix 380. Wondering what's more a product from Xcalibur can give next year 2014?

http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/exc ... ow-review/
Excalibur is the best recurve crossbow I ever tested.
Thanks for mentioning my blog on Excalibur's Facebook Page the other day. And hope I could add some value here to the community. :)
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

First and foremost make sure your scopes crosshairs and crossbow are perfectly aligned. I use a small set of levels to assure my crosshairs are level. Also when shooting be careful that you aren't canting your crossbow which will affect accuracy.

When I used to own the Equinox I sighted in the Shadow-Zone scope dead on at 20 yards. I then adjusted the speed rings for longer ranges. Taking some time to adjust your speed ring then all your ranges will be in.

I personally don't shoot past 30 yards as I pass on longer shots. It truly isn't worth risking wounding an animal. By all means practise at longer shots since practising is never wrong.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
JTL

Post by JTL »

I'm switching from Diablo to illuminated Diablo bolts and using the same 125 grain broadheads. Should I resight my scope or do those bolts fly the same?

I'd rather not re-sight with the illuminated Diablos because of their price. I'd hate to screw up a $20 bolt or $10 plastic nock for "practice." Especially if it's unnecessary.
-
JTL
Boo

Post by Boo »

JTL wrote:I'm switching from Diablo to illuminated Diablo bolts and using the same 125 grain broadheads. Should I resight my scope or do those bolts fly the same?

I'd rather not re-sight with the illuminated Diablos because of their price. I'd hate to screw up a $20 bolt or $10 plastic nock for "practice." Especially if it's unnecessary.
-
JTL
It will change the point of impact. In regards to damaging the lighted nock just shot at different dots on your target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JTL

Post by JTL »

Thanks guys. I was hoping they'd fly relatively the same so I could interchange without having to re-sight.

Guess I have to shoot at targets today. DARN! LOL
-
JTL
JTL

Post by JTL »

I shot a regular and an illuminated bolt back-to-back this morning and they hit the same hole at 20yds. I'll try it further back when I get a chance. But I'm not expecting much of a differential since I'm using the same broadheads.
-
JTL
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Welcome to the forum nice to have you here.
The matrix is a first rate bow and tops in performance but I would recommend keeping your shots under 40 yards with any archery gear string jumping,twigs,wind,nerves,deer just deciding to take a step and groups just opening up at longer distances invite poor hits at longer ranges.
Heck the fun of archery hunting is the up close and personnel encounters the equipment dictates.
I like to keep my shots under 35 yards myself.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.