String Life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: String Life

Post by 8ptbuk »

I got between 300 and 400 shots on my original serving . The string should last several re-servings before you have to replace it . Im sure some of the excellent string makers on the forum will chime in shortly . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I got about 500-600 through my stock serving on the M380.

Really good string makers on the forum, (only one great one though!), Try them all, I did. I'm partial to Boo's strings. Worth the wait and extra $.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am on year 5 for my string, and I shoot a whole lot! It is the servings you have to keep an eye on, I do my own on a jig Boo made. I have found the serving life is directly related to how much wine I drink before I begin to serve. I typically get 5-6 hundred shots out of them before I replace. I also replace before each season just so I don't have to do it during hunting season.
Serving is not difficult, if you do it yourself it wont likely be as good as someone who does it all the time, but then it doesn't matter, because you can serve it more often! If that makes any sense.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
strum

Post by strum »

I also have strings that are a few years old and going strong..
learn to reserve and keep em waxed they will hang in there..
main thing to look at is (of course) the strands. if they start fraying badly or breaking its toast.
we talking in general not knowing which string/strings you are referring too..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

racking up points wrote:I got about 500-600 through my stock serving on the M380.
Now over 800 shots on the Boo string in my Matrix 380. VERY little signs of wear on the serving, so although I did grab a "spare", the one I've practiced so much with is the one that is Hunting... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Pydpiper wrote:I also replace before each season just so I don't have to do it during hunting season.
This was a lesson I learned this year myself . I had to re-serve in the middle of hunting season and it wont happen again . I'll reserve a week or so before it starts from now on . What I didnt realize was the bow being cocked while hunting is really hard on the serving , my brace height even changed some from the string stretching while cocked so much .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
strum

Post by strum »

8ptbuk wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:I also replace before each season just so I don't have to do it during hunting season.
This was a lesson I learned this year myself . I had to re-serve in the middle of hunting season and it wont happen again . I'll reserve a week or so before it starts from now on . What I didnt realize was the bow being cocked while hunting is really hard on the serving , my brace height even changed some from the string stretching while cocked so much .
im a little different on this one..
don't bother me to take the string off, reserve ..take a shot er two to check then hunt..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

8ptbuk wrote: What I didnt realize was the bow being cocked while hunting is really hard on the serving... .
I'm finding this as well.The bow has been cocked for extended periods the last month and it's starting to show latch marks on the serving.I plan to polish the latches as per Boo's tutorial,hopefully that will help.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Fred T wrote:
8ptbuk wrote: What I didnt realize was the bow being cocked while hunting is really hard on the serving... .
I'm finding this as well.The bow has been cocked for extended periods the last month and it's starting to show latch marks on the serving.I plan to polish the latches as per Boo's tutorial,hopefully that will help.
Get a Boo string and you wont even think about it anymore :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
cevans

Post by cevans »

Also take and give your bow string a half twist every now and then so your not shooting on the same side of the serving. Serving will last longer.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

JPjunkie wrote:Get a Boo string and you wont even think about it anymore :wink:
Too funny.When I was typing I was thinking I might get that exact reply from you JP :lol:At least your consistant.I'm very pleased with the string I'm currently using.As for a Boo string there is a good chance I willl try one in the future.As it is I don't qualify for one as of yet having only owned my Ibex for 6-7 months.To his credit Boo has certain stipulations( to protect noobies from themselves)such as having a years worth of experience with your bow before moving to one of his custom string.

I'm no expert but I would expect non polished latches to leave their impressions on any serving if cocked for extended periods no?
Last edited by Fred T on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

cevans wrote:Also take and give your bow string a half twist every now and then so your not shooting on the same side of the serving. Serving will last longer.
Good point.I have started to do this but wish I had started sooner.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

IronNoggin wrote:
racking up points wrote:I got about 500-600 through my stock serving on the M380.
Now over 800 shots on the Boo string in my Matrix 380. VERY little signs of wear on the serving, so although I did grab a "spare", the one I've practiced so much with is the one that is Hunting... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
DITTO Boo is the man
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things