Hog Experience Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cherokeeson

Hog Experience Question

Post by Cherokeeson »

On another topic here in part it reads:
***** wrote:My advise is a fixed two blade for hogs. Min 500grain.Heart lung shot is a must for quick recovery. Also a very heavy arrow..

Anyone like to share what you use?
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
Boo

Re: Hog Experience Question

Post by Boo »

I used a G5 Striker Magnum (125 gr, 1.5") on a 19" Carbon Express Maxima Hunter. Total weight 380(?). Shot out of a Vortex one shot went through and killed 2 good hogs at once.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Boo wrote:I used a G5 Striker Magnum (125 gr, 1.5") on a 19" Carbon Express Maxima Hunter. Total weight 380(?). Shot out of a Vortex one shot went through and killed 2 good hogs at once.
Sounds like Don has nailed it down because of experience.

I would stay away from a mechanical if I was hunting big hogs and stay with a good fixed blade head but I would like a 3 or 4 blade head such as G5, QAD Exodus, Slick Trick etc. that flies true every time. I don't like 2 blade heads they penetrate well but don't aways leave good blood trails and if you're tracking one in some thick cover you need all the help you can get.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

Hester0305 wrote:
Boo wrote:I used a G5 Striker Magnum (125 gr, 1.5") on a 19" Carbon Express Maxima Hunter. Total weight 380(?). Shot out of a Vortex one shot went through and killed 2 good hogs at once.
Sounds like Don has nailed it down because of experience.

I would stay away from a mechanical if I was hunting big hogs and stay with a good fixed blade head but I would like a 3 or 4 blade head such as G5, QAD Exodus, Slick Trick etc. that flies true every time. I don't like 2 blade heads they penetrate well but don't always leave good blood trails and if you're tracking one in some thick cover you need all the help you can get.
I'm partial to 2 Blade Buzzzcut's but but reading and hearing various good and bad on the 4 Blade for blood trails and penetration, so I contacted Magnus and they stated that the Snuffer is great but I would have to sharpen it out of the pack to be hunt ready? :shock: Like the warranty but not that much. May take a look at the G5 and see how it flies outta the Nox
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have shot a few thru the yrs. I have used Snuffers/Spitfires & old zwicky's 2 blades like eskimo & others simular. Yer coc type probably would be yer best choices. Although i never had a Spitfire 1 1/2" mech. fail to kill my hogs n they been down in 45 yds or less wid good blood trails
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315