Bowhunting and speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Bowhunting and speed

Post by vixenmaster »

Boo wrote:Mike, I think the previous generation of archers would be saying the same thing about the speeds you like. It wasn't long ago that 250 ft/sec was considered fast and before that 180 ft/sec. Speed is relative and it's good to some degree.
But who is going to draw the line? What speed and why? I think this next generation is going to think we shot slow bows! Should we dictate what others shoot? Are we going to have different rules for bears and antelope? It's a slippery slope to be sure.
I don't have the answers and neither does anyone but one things for sure the faster it is the more the young pups we are going to have in the field tomorrow.
Don,us older ppl.did have fast Bows fer our time. Now they make them faster fer the newer shooters/hunters. I won't draw the line on speed, thats an individuals choice. Like i prefer the 355 to the 380 & the newer 405 i guess they be callin it. I can put one of me logs in the 355 n have a small framed lighter weight Thumper! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

double post
Last edited by Limbs and Sticks on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Always the same when one of these threads come up everything that's wrong about fast bows, I read a lot of things here in this tread that are out and out wrong, you need weight for penetration, ke isn't enough, holes healing because the arrow was to fast, i've never seen folks with fast bows look for flaws or criticize the slower bows ever, to each their own, i know my fast bow takes care of business out to forty yds, that's my limit right now.
why can't you have speed and patience both, maybe some people can't :mrgreen:
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote:. Fast bows have a downside most folks don't consider: everything, esp the arrow, has to be just right to get consistent accuracy.
I agree 100%

I still like a fast arrow. I like to get close, that part will not change for me. The speed just help me make a better shot and I can add weight to the arrow for some real punch, using those LARGE cut blades.

With the 405 . . .maybe they will make a 4 inch broadhead. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

The thing that grinds me about it is in a way speed after and who knows what that is gets so fast that there will be no need for judging yardage and the vertical crowd will he a good argument that crossbow is getting more like a rifle. I would hate to see that day come. All the bows kill and the only reason I see for speed is to get rid of misjudging yardage and that is part of ARChery is it not?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike . . .the vertical guys are shooting faster too.

There may very well come a time when the season opens and it's all open. I say that more because there are more and more deer and fewer and fewer hunters . . .at least in the parts I hunt.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Just my 2 cents in the matter
Once told to me by a wise man-Speed kills air
And if you want to set the world on fire get yourself a 220-swift.
Bows will and have always been considered a close range weapon.
Native Americans stalked up close to their game they were gonna harvest
Along with shot placement. Faster bows are nice but not always better for the sport of Archery-Again just my 2-cents!!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ppl. if'en y'all have Excal stop makin models faster than 350 fps they will go out of Business real fast!
Half Bubble Off BD360

Mtnfun

Post by Mtnfun »

First of all I just joined the forum a few days ago and wanted to say hello

Speed is personal choice but mostly being comfortable and confident with what you are shooting. I have an equinox and 355 and practice at various yardage 3-4 times a week. I want the speed for the fact that I don't have to be exact on yardage and I want to make the best shot I can. I am limited on the days I get to hunt and I love the thrill but I also want to make the best shot and harvest whatever I am hunting . I don't have a lot of days to pass up a good shot at 40 yards knowing I can adjust my stand and try for a closer shot.
Again my thoughts, being comfortable, confident and knowing your limitations is key. It will be different for each person
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:Ppl. if'en y'all have Excal stop makin models faster than 350 fps they will go out of Business real fast!
I agree Mike,,
I had a 225lb bow and now I have a 200lb bow..i am liking (much to my surprise) the 200lb model better..
BBuuuutttttt...I want a 405 :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

A couple of things I forgot
one: its good to see you posting on here Aging
two : Limbs and Sticks's bows are slooowwww :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Sadly 2 things will affect speed more then actual necessity, our competitiveness, and money IMO. For companies that want to stay top, they need to be innovative, and if they don't, someone else will, as we've seen with Excal knock offs.

Another thing to be aware of, is reducing the skill level, also opens the sport to more hunters with a smaller learning curve, and again increased sales. Golf is a perfect example of this, I own a driver that I can hit 275+ yards with all day long, 25 years ago that was unheard of at the amateur level, and with clubs more forgiving it allows a few strokes off the average golfers game, but it all becomes relative. Instead of taking lessons, most folks buy new clubs, twice I've used rentals that were terrible clubs, but I was still able shoot low 80's, so the true passionate hunters will always understand the art it's origin.

I think the most important thing is folks that enjoy more traditional methods and equipment stay with it, to keep the art of knowledge alive. My Dad prefers is motor boat for fishing and rifles for hunting, yet I prefer my canoe and crossbow. We both have a mutual respect for each other and both the other side of the coin so to speak. What I find most interesting is my son wants a vertical bow. Change is not always good, but it is how we are, so keep doing it the way you enjoy it, to prevent it from being a lost art.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I will lay it out to ya ppl. If'en i had $1100 i would own a Blk. 380, man punch a deers lights out! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

taz3

Post by taz3 »

vixenmaster wrote:I will lay it out to ya ppl. If'en i had $1100 i would own a Blk. 380, man punch a deers lights out! :)

And if pigs had wings and square a**es the could fly and s*** bricks! :lol: :lol:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

taz3 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:I will lay it out to ya ppl. If'en i had $1100 i would own a Blk. 380, man punch a deers lights out! :)

And if pigs had wings and square a**es the could fly and s*** bricks! :lol: :lol:
Is this an insult towards me ? Yer pt is ?
Half Bubble Off BD360