Bowhunting and speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Re: Bowhunting and speed

Post by taz3 »

vixenmaster wrote:
taz3 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:I will lay it out to ya ppl. If'en i had $1100 i would own a Blk. 380, man punch a deers lights out! :)

And if pigs had wings and square a**es the could fly and s*** bricks! :lol: :lol:
Is this an insult towards me ? Yer pt is ?
Nope not at all, just tongue in cheek, because IF I had the money, I'd have one too! :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

strum wrote:A couple of things I forgot
one: its good to see you posting on here Aging
two : Limbs and Sticks's bows are slooowwww :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Stan and its aways good coming here. I always butt heads with speed is everything bench shooters and target shooters. There are some great people on the other site but a couple talk speed, kill, kill, kill. They are just missing the flavor 0f hunting. I posted this over there and got them going;

A bowhunter see's a deer at 300 yards and blames himshelf for not being in the right place at the right time and plots for another day.
A deerhunter see's a deer at 300 yards and blames his equipment and looks for something to reach that far.

To me that is the fundamental difference between a bowhunter and deerhunter. Its that if you come home empty handed then somehow you have failed attitude. Heck, the best hunt of my life I came home empty handed from a western state hunt. It is the greatest adult game of hide and seek where winning is good but playing the game is just the best, the best. :D
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I like a decent compound bow shooting in the 280's range and My Matrix is cut down 2 inches so its shooting close to 300 fps with my setup I guess each to their own.

I love my Excal just the way it is mine is quieter than it was and a lot easier to cock and shoot multiply times while practicing.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

To me the numbers seem to be more about atracting customers than being a true reference of performance.

The vertical bows have an IBO standard measurement for speed.
60 pounds at 30 inch draw, shooting a 540 grain arrow or at least that's what it used to be. Horizontal bows are all over the place depending on mechanics of the equipment and generally with an arrow weight which is the minimum required for said bow make to be shot safely.

I have hunting bows and I have target bows and to me each has it's own place for my own reasons.

Just like my choice of broadhead is a fixed blade which limits to a degree how fast I can shoot it. For me a heavy arrow around 500 grains gets the job done. I can shoot a coyote from just about any angle and filet him from one end to the other. On a deer a well placed shot dispatches it quickly. A heavy arrow does more too. It tames vibration and noise somewhat because more energy is transfered to the arrow.

aging.........good topic............lots of info here and not just noise like elsewhere.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Hester, I'm with you. I have two 355 Matrix, one is cut down like yours and I love them both. I too am lucky in being able to afford both, I also have a thumbhole custom Vixen. As for hunting, I had one of the best hunting trips of my life this past weekend and I didn't even harvest a deer. Had an 8 point and several spikes and does within twenty feet. Just being there, hunting and observing and enjoying those deer was what hunting to me is all about. Fast is good to a point, and fast sells, but hunting is what I'm in it for. I've killed more deer arrows than I am old. Just being out there is what hunting is to me. A few posts ago someone said he got buck fever and missed a chance at the buck of his life. When I quit getting that stimulation, I will quit hunting. That is the difference between short range bowhunters and thousand yard magnum shooters. The game of hunting is the reward, meat is just an added bonus to some of us. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes