Why not use a fixed blade broadhead?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cevans

Re: Why not use a fixed blade broadhead?

Post by cevans »

I know a lot of users like the mechanicals,,but, I am the type of hunter that just wants to elimainate all the variables that can or possibly screw with my hunting. I like simplicity. I have to agree with you so I use the Slick Trick 100g. 1" 4 blade and so far have shot 5 deer with them and no losses. Can't complain about lack of blood trail either and all have ran no more than 60 yrds from the stand at most. And I like the way they blow right thru the rib bones with no show of wear on the tips or blades after going thru 2 sets of rib bones. Simplicity, shoots same as my field points for sighting in, sharp and hard hard pointed, and easy to use. How many of ya's remember the Bear 2 bladed broadhead that YOU had to sharpen to use and wooden or fiberglass arrows they came on? Had to go thru the arrows to get a straight bunch of arrows to hunt with??? Using the fixed blade on a Bear Recurve? Long before the Allen Compound bow was invented? :lol: Now I am telling how long I have bow hunted. :)
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

The first deer I ever took with a bow was also using the old style Snuffer, the ones with the hot glued insert. They had a huge diameter that made a hole from hell! That double lunged doe (37 yards, standing on the ground) left what looked to be a quart of blood on the ground, sprayed from both sides where she hit the ground after each bound. She only made about 5, and fell over stone cold dead, and the field dressing wasn't too bloody!!!! :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I know what my slick trick fixed blade heads are going to do every time cut a perfect 4 blade hole some times I get better blood trails than other times but it has nothing to do with the broad head becouse the broad head preformes the same cut every time.
I get great accuracy with them but I use a arrow squaring tool on my shafts
and nocks to help elimnate inconsistancyes in cutting and manufacturing.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

My first arrows were wood with bear heads then when I got my first compound I shot the fiberglass arrows with wasp three blades then to aluminum an now carbon an aluminum from a crossbow an now slicktrick ,Magnus that I settled on after trying many. we came a long way an wonder what's next :lol:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Those are wise words. If your bow shoots a fixed head with the accuracy and speed you need, I see no reason to shoot anything else. There are some great fixed heads (Slick Tricks, etc) on the market.

My ExoMax wouldn't toss a fixed head with enough accuracy for me with stock arrows. If I added brass inserts, then it would toss anything fine but I would give up a ton of speed. I opted to use a mechanical to keep the speed and have field point accuracy. The only drawback is that I have to deal with higher priced heads and the reliability will never match a fixed head.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Cause i want to use mech. every now & again, don't cha knowed!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm partial to the 4 blade Magnus Stingers, they shoot pretty good for me.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
needmorebacon

Post by needmorebacon »

Dad shoots thunderheads has for years and years for me its slick tricks..have never seen a reason to change! Bulletproof tough and fly great
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I've killed deer with 3 different fixed blade heads this year and they all fly like my field points within an inch of each other. Slick Tricks 100gr. Mags, QAD Exodus 100 gr. 3 blade and the Toxic broadhead 100 gr. that has a crazy blade configuration. Even though I've killed a lot odf deer with mechanicals I don't see a need to ever go back to one except to try a new one out every now and then.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Part of the reason why I chose excalibur is the simplicity of the design and functionality. That is why I chose fixed BH's as well. Less things that can fail the better the likelihood of success. I have also not been over adventurous and only used boss wasps and bolt cutters which were recommended by Excal. If it works for them it works for me. Just my opinion tho.

F
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well, to answer your question . . .I use mechanicals because they are the absolute best thing to use.

Less things to go wrong . . .I've seen that debate and I'd have to tell ya, when you add in all the variables, there are less things to go wrong on a good mechanical.

Less planing on a mechanical . . .that's simple, the absense of exposed blade gives the mechanical the advantage here, it also gives the mechanical more speed and less down range loss of speed . . .of course, that's a minor advantage, unless its windy.

Less chance of hitting a limb or other low hanging weed on the way to your target . . .less blade exposure.

Cutting surface . . .mechanicals win that, it's easy to find a good mechanical that has more cutting surface. We kill via blood loss, so, stands to reason that the more you cut, the better. With all other factors being equal, the broadhead with the most cutting surface will drop a deer faster. I collected enough data from this forum to post this as being a fact . . .the larger cutting mechanicals dropped the deer faster . . .less tracking, better chance of a recovery.

I shot a large doe with a Hammerhead. The doe dropped to her knees and bled out. I hunt from the ground and I thought this was odd . . .I thought I'd cut her front legs or something. Upon inspection, I had a double lung shot. The shock of being hit with those large blades made her drop to her knees.

I gut shot a 6 point buck that only went about 25 or so yards using a Hammerhead . . .I've hit deer in the same area with a rifle and they went farther.

I've had issues with the mechanicals . . .but, I have also had issues with the fixed blades. Regardless of the broadhead you decide to use, you need to use them wisely. I only use the "over the top" mechanicals . . .less things to go wrong. The downside is it uses more energy(so they say). However, I'm using a Max, I have energy to spare. Since I hunt from the ground, the amount of travel after the pass through is important. I have mine setup to where the arrow is typically laying on the ground within 10 yards of the POI . . .those low profile broadheads would travel forever(I think I've shot a couple that are still travelling).

I use dental elastics . . .these are perfect and I've not have a issue of blades opening prior to impact since using these.

There are a lot of great fixed blades and there are some great mechanicals. I can understand why people would want to use either type, both will kill a deer if you hit the "spot".
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I gotstid no data about nutten! I gotstid 2, 200 lb hogs on the ground the same day & neither went over 45 yds usin my used & resharpened Spitfires :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:I gotstid no data about nutten! I gotstid 2, 200 lb hogs on the ground the same day & neither went over 45 yds usin my used & resharpened Spitfires :)
what !! you had to resharpen them. I don't know Mike you may need to rethink your broadhead selection :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I had already made kills usin them fine Spitfires :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

xcaliber, I recently also love NAP Thunderhead broadheads. I tried 150 grain Slick Trick Xbow broadheads, but they didn't group like the field points. I also only use fixed bladed broadheads even from my compound days.

I returned the Slick Trick to the company for a full refund.

I found 170 grain NAP Thunderheads and these fly true exactly like the field points. Maybe its the increase in FOC that helped, but I am all set and happy. I shoot 18" Easton 2219 aluminum shafts with 3 1/2" wraps and 2" Bohning Blazer vanes. My total weight is 470 grains.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's