The rope cocker answer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schrona1

The rope cocker answer

Post by schrona1 »

In my previous experience with my Equinox, I had posted a concern that I had with regards to my rail being scratched; Thanks to everyone on the forum it was conclusive that the rope may have fallen off the groove on the stock and over the scope mount. A mere half inch drop, a gouged side rail, live and learn, well I have learned that the Red Hot rope cocker makes sense, anyone spending a grand or more does not want a scratched crossbow, regardless of how it was used. This cocking aid will NOT scratch your bow; which is why they print it on the packaging stating this fact. People make mistakes, hence the ant-dry-fire system that Excalibur finally acknowledged, why would you not use it, here is the link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5X_AjXTuM
Xbowkiller

Re: The rope cocker answer

Post by Xbowkiller »

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

The standard Excalibur rope cocker works just fine. I always ensure the rope is in the groove prior to cocking.

Same way I prevent a dry fire. I always ensure I have an arrow properly installed in the rail and seated to the string prior to ever touching the trigger.

A person has to be in the right mindset for these crossbows or it will bite you and/or you will damage it.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I dryfired many times, no ill effects, that anti dryfire thing is not for me.. I don't dryfire any more, but that is not the only reason.
I do however, still yank that darned ropecocker up with it around the safety all the time, so do a lot of people who come by to shoot my bows. I don't have a camo rail, so it has never left a mark.
Live and learn I suppose.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

schrona1 wrote:In my previous experience with my Equinox, I had posted a concern that I had with regards to my rail being scratched; Thanks to everyone on the forum it was conclusive that the rope may have fallen off the groove on the stock and over the scope mount. A mere half inch drop, a gouged side rail, live and learn, well I have learned that the Red Hot rope cocker makes sense, anyone spending a grand or more does not want a scratched crossbow, regardless of how it was used. This cocking aid will NOT scratch your bow; which is why they print it on the packaging stating this fact. People make mistakes, hence the ant-dry-fire system that Excalibur finally acknowledged, why would you not use it, here is the link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5X_AjXTuM
My wife uses a Parker red hot rope cocker, they are very nice.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
strum

Post by strum »

i watched the video think the RHRC may be fine but what I heard at least 4 times was
"Scratched my 1,000 bow"
when I hunt ..I use a tree stand and I always have to pull mine up with a rope..same with a gun right?
I always always end up with little dents and skins here and theres no way around it unless I stay home and keep it wrapped in a blanket..
Im not bashing you schrona and I dont mean any disrespect but what you need to do is go hunt and quit worrying about a scratch
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree with strum . . .I buy it to use it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Zap

Post by Zap »

Scratched works for me..... :mrgreen:
Duck or Bleed.....
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

strum wrote:i watched the video think the RHRC may be fine but what I heard at least 4 times was
"Scratched my 1,000 bow"
when I hunt ..I use a tree stand and I always have to pull mine up with a rope..same with a gun right?
I always always end up with little dents and skins here and theres no way around it unless I stay home and keep it wrapped in a blanket..
Im not bashing you schrona and I dont mean any disrespect but what you need to do is go hunt and quit worrying about a scratch
For some people a grand is a lot of money, There is a difference between USE and ABUSE, If somebody can benefit from this video I am satisfied..
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

yooper_man wrote:The standard Excalibur rope cocker works just fine. I always ensure the rope is in the groove prior to cocking.

Same way I prevent a dry fire. I always ensure I have an arrow properly installed in the rail and seated to the string prior to ever touching the trigger.

A person has to be in the right mindset for these crossbows or it will bite you and/or you will damage it.

Andrew
I guess it is possible; some people really are perfect..
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I drive my 4 wheeler through mud, sump and over limb and log. I buy equipment that keeps up with me and performs every time I need it. That is what an Excalibur is for, to hunt hard with, and they are tuff and always ready. I don't have scratches on my crossbows, mine are all battle scars.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

strum wrote:i watched the video think the RHRC may be fine but what I heard at least 4 times was
"Scratched my 1,000 bow"
Not to add fuel to the fire, but if you heard me say "scratched my 1,000 bow" AT LEAST 4 times, then you must be watching a different video, because it was only mentioned twice! I guess this is like the post you made stating yopperman posted a picture of his Leupold scope 5000+ Times?
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

schrona1 wrote:
yooper_man wrote:The standard Excalibur rope cocker works just fine. I always ensure the rope is in the groove prior to cocking.

Andrew
I guess it is possible; some people really are perfect..
I meant was to be focused on the task at hand and avoid distractions. I certainly didn't want to come across as sounding perfect. I am in no way perfect. I just shared my way of thinking hoping it would help you or someone else.

I know how you feel when you pay lots of money for equipment and it gets usage marks. It hurts, but I tell myself it adds character which sometimes helps. I am always grateful that my equipment is still functional just not new looking anymore.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I don't think anyone on here has ever claimed to be perfect, but there are many how practice continually to get as close to perfection as they can. I am not one of those fortunate folks and I certainly have made my share of mistakes myself, some worse than others. Some of theses "Brain farts" have even resulted in a lot more than a superficial scratch to a bow with a current value much closer to $700 than $1000 (depreciation is a bitch but a fact of life my friend). I also know they include an excellent set of instructions and numerous videos on how to assemble and use the Bow of your choice. Several of which show proper use of the rope cocker and warnings to ensure you always have the rope properly positioned before attempting to cock the bow. It appears that you made an honest mistake while cocking your bow and have learned a valuable lesson. You have also found a tool that can aid you in preventing any additional damage to your bow in case you make that same mistake again. I for one will check that red hot cocker device out to see if it would help me also and I thank you for sharing the info. But please drop the "I scratched my new toy" garbage. It is time to move on, shoot the bow, and learn to love it as many of us do, be it deer hunting or target shooting. They are a beauty to behold and even better to shoot.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Excal has probably put over 100,000 rope cockers out over the years.

Since '05/06 we can count the posts about them on one hand.

I shoot a wood stock Y-25 and have to watch my rope constantly, a good thing! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"