Dogs busting my hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Dogs busting my hunt

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm not having much luck this year, this is one of the reasons why...
I hunt <600 acres of leased land right in the middle of a national forest, and about 3/4 mile or so past us is a farm. They have 3 big dogs they let run free, and 4 different times this season they've busted my hunt. Happened a few times last year too but for some reason it seems a lot worse this year. They come yapping up and down the trails, you hear em all thru the woods, they run across greenfields... they run deer, coyotes, rabbits, whatever they can find to chase.

Now I'm a dog person, I've got 3 dogs myself and I love em to pieces, so I've never ever took a shot at somebody's dog, I just don't have the heart to do it. But this is really starting to P me off in a major way. Nobody is seeing squat for deer this year but we hear these dogs raising hell all the time. I doubt talking to the landowner would do much good, even thought about contacting the Game Warden to see what his opinions are. Any thoughts on what to do?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Re: Dogs busting my hunt

Post by vixenmaster »

I ran into that the 4 yrs prior to this one. Other ppl. i reckon took care of the problems. I am like you i have 3 i love, so its very hard to dispatch one
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

What about calling animal control If that doesnt work I would call Game Warden
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Boo

Post by Boo »

I love dogs but would have no problem whacking one with a rubber blunt from good distance. That way only you and the dogs would know. :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

.22 rat shot in the butt!!!!!!
"Eze 18:21"
rayman

Post by rayman »

I've had a lot of problem with this in the past. Might try the game warden route as folks are not supposed to let their dogs chase game animals like that in most places any more. I think that you might find the game wardens are too busy to help you with something like that though, even though you buy a license every year. Good luck with it. :)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just spoke with the Forest district office... in Alabama dogs are considered private property, therefore it's illegal to kill them in this circumstance, even on your own property. Only exception is if the dog is threatening or trying to attack. They suggested setting live traps and then calling animal control to come get the dogs. Animal control will also set traps at your request. Probably get a few 'yotes in the process. But that's that much more people and noise and commotion in the woods, not so good for the hunting either.
FWIW it's not the dog's fault, they're just doing what dogs do, and they can't read the property boundary signs. It's the owners fault for not properly securing the dogs. Also a sad fact is people dump unwanted dogs in the forest.
Anyhow, we're gonna mull over the options.... thanks everyone.
Matrix 380
Exomag
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's pretty disheartening that there always has to be folks out there that take such poor care of their dogs. Plus it's always the dog that takes the brunt of whatever the humans screw up.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I would first approach the owner then the authorities.
Tenpoint Matrix
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

In Ontario here it is against the law to let your dogs or cats run free and chase animals. In fact the law says you have to be in control of the dogs at all times. If not you can be fined and or lose your pet. People shoot dogs that run deer and other animals around here. The road we drive by has a sign that states if your dog has been running wild animals and you can't find your pet look for his collar here. City people bring their dogs up to the cottage and let them run free. It is those people who cry foul when they find their dog missing or been shot. They don't realize deer are already under enough stress from the rut let along hunters coming into their bedroom.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

There's no leash law in this particular area. Out in the country folks let their dogs roam free, its just the way it's done around here, no laws against it so what can ya do?
Also gonna take the suggestion to talk to the lease holder and see if he can be of some help. Truthfully I'm hoping somebody not as soft hearted as me fixes the problem.
Anyhow, took off work today and headin' out shortly, maybe I'll have some luck today!
Matrix 380
Exomag
ranger

Post by ranger »

Here it's illegal for dogs to chase or push deer, there is a person just north of were I hunt and she would let her dogs run on the property I hunt and chase the deer while I was in my stand, they even walked behind me barking on the property I hunt, I confronted her about it and told her the next time the dogs come on this property and ruin a hunt for me I would shoot the dogs with my bow, even if they walked up to my stand with me in it. That was 6 yrs ago and I have not had a issue since with her dogs. I will still kill them if they come on the property and scare or chase deer while i'm there.......
All you can do is confront the owner of the dogs about the issue and if they are pushing the deer just see what your regs say about it.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Heard em again this evening, could follow them thru the woods by the noise, they were close but I never saw them.
Gun season opens next saturday, I got a feeling things may get better, I'm not the only one that's tired of the dogs running all over the place.
Matrix 380
Exomag