Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FNARSCOT

Re: Bolts

Post by FNARSCOT »

First of all please do not be so hard on the guys that forgo the Diablos in favor of other arrows. I shoot my 380 a lot with my son and we wear our arrows out. The guys that pass on shooting the Diablos pass them on to guys( like me) for a good price and in some cases for the price of shipping(thanks Bro) We also hunt with them because that is what we are sighted in for. Stuff happens arrows get lost and or broke. I traded for my 380 got it from a friend who owns a shop. That said I could not own one otherwise. I am on a budget and if I loose or break a arrow it hurts a lot less with Diablos . I enjoy the time with my Son more when I do not have to stress a high dollar arrow. I would love to have a bunch BEE zombies all tricked out with lumenoks and the latest greatest broad heads. Some day I will. After my Son is grown and is buying his own. :lol: If loosing arrows is a concern never hunt Hogs I have never recovered one from a Hog that was good for anything but a conversation starter :lol:
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
tammie

Post by tammie »

I cant help but shoot at the hogs here in texas they are plentiful!just made 30lbs. of sausage with deer and 150lb sow .and the sound that 380 makes when you hit one at 20 yards is ,well,AWESOME!
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Sweet music :D I here you! Ground a buck(old) yesterday for Sausage and just got a invite to hunt on a 500 acre lease for hogs . Boy said they are covered up .My middle boy is home on pre deployment leave and we are going to whack and stack some meat hogs . I'm sure both my sons will want big boars. I like 100lbs sows my self roasted whole but I will grind anything that they want to drag :lol: Have a friend that is a trained Sausage maker and will make any kind I want for a cut of the finished product .Works for me :lol: I got fancy with the old buck and sliced all the back strap for jerky gotta be fast when it comes out as the boys eat it faster than I can make it . :shock:
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Lake shooter wrote:My plan was to stick with them through the season and then possibly experiment in warm weather. Until I can stop my bolts from burying to the vanes or past the nock in a brand new, tough target, I'll only shoot enough to make sure that the scope is still on as well as myself. One of my first posts was that I ain't rich and just spent $70 on a target that's supposed to stop about anything, along with the grand dropped on the 380. I ain't buying another target anytime soon, and believe me when I say that the 380 is a freaking beast!!!!!! :shock:

On the arrows, I've made plenty in the past and actually enjoyed that more than shooting, which to me is a means to an end (putting venison in the freezer and a possible trophy) instead of something which I want to do a lot of........ That's why I bought a crossbow!!!! I used to piss off the dudes at the pro shop by going in to buy some shafts and insisting that they let me spin them first. Even in the high end carbons 75-90% were junk, which they then sold to someone else!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, keep 'em coming! 8) :wink:
you must not have bought a Rinehart... yes they are a bit pricey. however I got one and has yet to bury an (bolt) arrow, half of its length. with broadheads! well worth the $$
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

When I bought my Equinox all I used was Excalibur's Firebolts and 150 grain boltcutters. The setup was easy and very accurate. I shot a large doe with a 25 yard double lung and she went 40 yards. I sold the Equinox to buy my Matrix 355.

I already had some Easton 2219 gamegetter green aluminum shafts on hand from my vertical compound days. I sold off the 4 each unfired Diablos arrows to make the switch to all aluminum.

Aluminum is very inexpensive vs expensive carbon shafts. I can buy Easton XX75 2219 magnum bare shafts for $34 per dozen very close to half price of carbon in some cases.

I don't have a arrow saw, but my pro shop cuts them to 18" for $0.50 each. I use Easton plastic flat nocks and aluminum inserts. I fletch them with Arizona EZ bolt fletcher using Bohning Blazer vanes. I use 7" reflective wraps cut in half for a ease of re-fletching without scraping. The reflective wrap help locate the arrow after the shot.

I tried 150 grain slick trick xbow magnum broadheads, but they didn't shoot like the field points. I made the switch to 170 grain NAP Thunderheads and these do shoot like the field points. My total arrow weigh is 470 grains with a 15% FOC.

I can make a dozen of these arrows for far less money then most half dozen carbon arrow packs.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
oldnbroken

Post by oldnbroken »

I just upgraded to the 380 from a very happy life with an Exocet 200. Mainly for shorter lighter easier to cock experience.
My litestuff package included Diablo's and shot ok w/my previous 100 grain heads but to try to quiet it I tried some old 140 razorback 4's and 5's. Both drilled a 1" group @ 20, 2"@ 30 & 3"@ 40 but opened by a foot @ 50 yrds. not sure if its not enough spine or ??? but for now have settled with some 125's and ordered some BEE's to try.

PS the 140's hit like they would shoot through a truck door!
Backin up ain't the same as given in...Been there and done that and paying the price... meanwhile looking to the next double dog dare.
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

With 125 gr field points or 125 Spitfires @ 50yds off the bench using a Harris bipod/Xcalibers Flemmish string w/whiskers .My 9yr old can hit 1 1/2" dots on our target using Diablos out of the 380. I never shoot groups because I hate to tear up arrows :lol: 6 dots 6 shots rarely is he more than 3" off center. We shoot everyday . Any Diablo donations please P.M. me :roll: I would like to try some BEE arrows but I will wait till after the season as It seems unfair now as good as he is shooting 8)
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

I think you should give BEA Zombie Slayers a try :)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

FNARSCOT wrote:First of all please do not be so hard on the guys that forgo the Diablos in favor of other arrows. I shoot my 380 a lot with my son and we wear our arrows out. The guys that pass on shooting the Diablos pass them on to guys( like me) for a good price and in some cases for the price of shipping(thanks Bro) We also hunt with them because that is what we are sighted in for. Stuff happens arrows get lost and or broke. I traded for my 380 got it from a friend who owns a shop. That said I could not own one otherwise. I am on a budget and if I loose or break a arrow it hurts a lot less with Diablos . I enjoy the time with my Son more when I do not have to stress a high dollar arrow. I would love to have a bunch BEE zombies all tricked out with lumenoks and the latest greatest broad heads. Some day I will. After my Son is grown and is buying his own. :lol: If loosing arrows is a concern never hunt Hogs I have never recovered one from a Hog that was good for anything but a conversation starter :lol:
I wasn't being hard on anyone here. Just asking those who replied to stay on point as to the question that I asked. :wink: