Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lake shooter

Bolts

Post by Lake shooter »

I failed to find my bolt after shooting my buck on the 12th. I wasn't that high, maybe 12', and it was a double lung clean pass through at approximately 20 yards. The terrain was rocky and covered with leaves, I figured the bolt ricocheted to parts yonder as I can't believe it buried in that stuff. Do most of you find your bolts after such a scenario?

If the answer is even close to 50:50 then I see the need to have some extras, and if that's the case I'm interested in everyone's opinions on their favorite brands and lengths for the 380' shooting 125 gr heads. The Diablos that came with my 380 shoot great, just looking for options.

Thanks,
Dave
Lake shooter

Re: Bolts

Post by Lake shooter »

Do you have a problem with the Diablos or are you just partial to the Gold Tips? Inquiring minds need to know! 8)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

xcaliber wrote:Never shot them, I'm a Gold Tip fan for many years.
I was a GT II fan 'til I got/shot some BEE's. [2" blazers, 92 gr inserts, 400 gr w/ 100 gr tips].
"Eze 18:21"
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

18" BEE here too. They are great with the 380. Jerry at South Shore sells them and you pick all options. I think Big John makes them as well.
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Something funny strikes me here: how can anyone make a fair, rational and impartial judgement on the Diablos against anything else if they haven't bothered to shoot the Diablos?????? In a nutshell that's what I want to know. IF you have shot the Diablos and chose something else or chose to stay with something else, what are your reasons?

No offense to anyone at all, I'm simply looking for really useful info on the question. I'm new to all of this crossbow stuff but have years in archery and know about FOC and all the other claptrap, but by default have not had a chance to shoot anything but what came with my package: the Diablos!

I'm not asking what your favorite Bolt is, I'm asking why, and hoping that responders have experience with the Diablos.

Thanks again,
Dave
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

I have shot Diablo's and the BEE in the 380. I prefer the BE for the extra weight. The Diablo's shot fine but the heavier BEE's do help quiet the bow. I also like to custom pick my insert weight and vane style. When I purchased my 380 nobody really had Diablo shafts in stock. I have now found a combo that works perfect for me with the heads I prefer out to 60 yards. Thats my opinion
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks. Nobody else has an opinion or experience on this? Hard to believe...... :wink:
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Sorry, double hit.
strum

Post by strum »

Lakeshooter.. if those diablos are shooting well for you then stay with them for now.
get through the hunting season . then you can experiment with other arrows.
there are some guys on here who make some fine arrows and im sure they will help you out. you may want to pm Big John. he makes some of the finest
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I shot a doe through the shoulder and heart with a diablo,spitfire,and lumenok out of the 380 and the damn thing buried into the ground halfway to China..yep.. Gone :shock: .pricy projectile gone. Saw the lumenok vanish thru deer...then vanish..ya...keep a few extras :lol:
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

My plan was to stick with them through the season and then possibly experiment in warm weather. Until I can stop my bolts from burying to the vanes or past the nock in a brand new, tough target, I'll only shoot enough to make sure that the scope is still on as well as myself. One of my first posts was that I ain't rich and just spent $70 on a target that's supposed to stop about anything, along with the grand dropped on the 380. I ain't buying another target anytime soon, and believe me when I say that the 380 is a freaking beast!!!!!! :shock:

On the arrows, I've made plenty in the past and actually enjoyed that more than shooting, which to me is a means to an end (putting venison in the freezer and a possible trophy) instead of something which I want to do a lot of........ That's why I bought a crossbow!!!! I used to piss off the dudes at the pro shop by going in to buy some shafts and insisting that they let me spin them first. Even in the high end carbons 75-90% were junk, which they then sold to someone else!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, keep 'em coming! 8) :wink:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Reminds me of my son. Got his carpentry licence so he wanted to build me something so I told him to build me a 15 x15 shed built like a house . Got cement pad poured and went to lumber store where I dealt. Son went through all the wood. Manager came up to me and said" whats up with this, it is only a shed." I looked at him and said "And I am going to have a perfect shed to." He shut up real quick and ran back to his office. I learned a good lesson and ever since that I would never just order wood unseen. :lol:
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I heard that! :wink:
tammie

Post by tammie »

I have had no problems with my 380,using 18 inch diablos 125 grain grim reaper,and burt coyote luminoks.i shot a buck at 15 yrds & saw the luminok go through em like butter.it went about 40 -50 yrds (the bolt)into some bushes & I would have never found it without that lumenok.i also shot a 200lb. boar hog with same set up he broke the bolt and I only found part of bolt and lumenok.lumenoks are pricey but worth it if you can find the bolt ! I also have a pet peeve about my quiver,it has to have one field point & three bolts with lumenoks at all times.because you might get 3 shots and or need a field point for a coon or something.woodys sporting goods has been excellent that's where I bought all my stuff.better start a 380 money jar to get all this stuff!its worth it though right!
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Yep, I don't regret my decision on buying the 380 package, although my business is very slow in this economy and it still hurts badly!!!! I looked at it as a life decision: I haven't been happy for years come bow season because of all the BS that comes with keeping the bow tuned and practicing enough to be ethical and accurate. Now I'm a lot more broke for a hopefully short period of time but a lot more happy and confident when I'm hunting, and already have one nice buck in the freezer!!!!!! 8)