Odd Doe Kill

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dewy

Odd Doe Kill

Post by dewy »

Saturday morning I went and sat in a blind that neither me, or my buddy, had been in yet this year. Small 8 point came out first and he got a pass. Then two mature does caught my movement inside the blind and walked off. They were then followed up a short time later by another 8 pointer that had a hitch in his get along. So I double lunged him at 20 yards. I gutted, drug him out, and then proceeded to drive my truck down a path to get him out of the rest of the way. As I was driving back out I noticed a big mature doe in the thicket not 10 yards from the path. So I pulled past her another 20 yards and left the truck running. I retrieved my Axiom from the back of the truck and crept up on her. As I rounded the thicket she was still standing there, rear end towards me, with her head turned all of the way around. I had no shot at that angle so I kept moving around to her left and I'm only 10 yards away from her at this point. I have now moved into a quartering away shot but briars are still in the way and I have no shot. Did I mention she is still not stomping, blowing or trying to get away. I keep moving around her till I get completely broadside and I'm less than 10 yards away at this point. The briars have now cleared a bit and I pick out her lungs and fire away.
She then bounds above the thicket and takes off only to crash a few seconds later. I let her lay a bit, grabbed lunch, and came back to retrieve her 45 minutes. She didn't go but 25 yards.
Has anyone else ever experienced anything like that? The only thing I can think of is that she couldn't wind me and did not view me as a threat because of that or she felt trapped by the thicket of briars and didn't think she could escape. I'm not sure what her reasoning for not running was I just know it was a weird Doe kill and she is in the freezer now.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Galgo

Re: Odd Doe Kill

Post by Galgo »

Heard and seen bucks "crazed" behaving that way but not a mature doe. Better to have those genes out of service I'd say.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Curiosity killed that cat.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the two deer!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Several years ago I shot a buck that was chasing a doe.He went down and she stopped and came back to him and just stood there.I started to walk up to the buck and the doe didnt run off.She stayed tight to the downed buck till I got VERY close(single digit yards) then bounced off a little and stopped and stared back.She was not going to leave him. All these years I just figured he was Mr. Big! :lol: True story though.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on yer double, sometimes they do odd things
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Once I had 3 does at 20 yards walk toward me totally unafraid as I walked toward them on a road wearing camo and blaze. It was moose season. :(

Other times I've had does just stand and look at me as I walked through the woods during deer rifle season... no doe tags.

Stuff like that doesn't happen to me during deer season with a doe tag in my pocket! :?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the double! :D :D j
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Sometimes they do the unexpected. I bet she thought she was hidden well enough in the briar patch. I've read where one of the deer's best self defense mechanisms is to just stand still. They blend so well into their surroundings, potential predators (and hunters) look right past them.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers