Leupolds and close yardage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ELLIS

Leupolds and close yardage

Post by ELLIS »

I have decided to upgrade to a Leupold ~4X scope and initially was thinking of either the VX3 1.5-5x20mm or the VXR 1.25-4x20mm . At lunchtime today I went to look at those at a local store and found both had the same problem. I shoot 3D only at ranges of between 5 to 55 yards. I noticed at near yardages (~20 yards and less) the field of view was blurred in both.

I then called Leupold USA and talked to one of their technicians.

The technician told me to get the parallax of those two scopes changed to 40-50 yards and then at very short yardage dial down the magnification. At that point things would be sharp for those close shots.

He then gave me another option in the Leupold Rimfire Ultralight Riflescope series, a VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR. This scope has an adjustable Parallax setting (the EFR Adjustable Objective) and is used heavily with the airgun crowd. I would be able to focus down to 10 yards.

Has anyone had any experience with the VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR scope?
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
wabi

Re: Leupolds and close yardage

Post by wabi »

I've used both a VX1 2-7X32 and a VX2 1-4X20 on my Phoenix and really didn't have any issues with focus or parallax. A small amount of parallax up close, but not enough to worry about for hunting purposes.
For 3-D it might be better to go with the adjustable objective, though.
wabi
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun scope on my Matrix 355 and have zero parallax problems under 20 yards as you describe. I of course don't use mine for 3D shoots. I have Leupold's VX-I 2-7x28mm rimfire scope on my Remington 580 in 22 short, long & long rifle and Leupold's Vari-X 2-7x28mm compact scope on a Marlin MN25 in 22 WMR. These scope are excellent at close range and a bit further.

I strongly suggest the Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight (EFR) Extended Focal Range scope. I would select the duplex reticle over the fine reticle found in rimfire scopes. This scope would be perfect for 3D matches since you have an adjustable objective. Obviously can be used for hunting too.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

No experience with the "Ultrlight" but with the Leupold 3-9x Compact AO it's predecessor. Great scope! You ll love it. Smallish light weight and bright( cause it's a Leupold )
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

Thanks for your responses.

Took the plunge and bought it. What can I say when comparing it to the Excalibur scope that I have now... this Leupold is brighter, sharper, magnifies less and more than my current scope, lighter in weight and with the AO (Extended Focal Range dial) I can focus from right in front of my nose to infinity. No parallax what so ever.

I am now a proud member of the Leupold club.

Now is Leupold pronounced “loop-old” or "Leo-pold
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
NFH

Post by NFH »

Loo-Pold
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

NFH wrote:Loo-Pold

That's how they pronounce it in the videos on their website.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Perfect choice.

Quote from Leupold's website.

" All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon, USA. "

http://www.leupold.com/about-us/america ... authority/

Awesome Leupold videos.

http://www.leupold.com/new-products/

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Congrats ! I think you made a wise choice . The scope you pm'd me about I don't think you would be satisfied with . Let us know how it works out . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

ELLIS wrote:

I am now a proud member of the Leupold club.
Welcome to the club!
It's a relatively small club here on the Excal forum, but growing. :mrgreen:

Leupold scopes aren't perfect and they do fail, but if they do they will be fixed or replaced without an argument. :D
I just got a new VX2 1-4X20 from Leupold to replace a 39 year old 4X fixed power that finally went bad this summer. (The adjustments got "jerky" - 4 clicks might move it 2" or 6") They sent the variable (after discussing it with me) because they were out of fixed power scopes and didn't know when they would have one for me.
wabi
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

8ptbuk, my HHA Speed Dial has made it from PA to Mississauga Ontario on Friday via USPS. I will have it in Ottawa early next week. Right now it is snowing here and -12C. Hoping for a warm day soon so I can sight the bow in with my new toys before the year is out. Unfortunately the extended forecast is way below zero for some time to come.

Wabi, amazing for any company to back its product after four decades of use. Between Excalibur and Leupold we are in good hands for the rest of OUR lives!

Loo-Pold it us, thank you NFH

…And thank you all for your positive responses that my choice was a good one! A great bunch here!
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member