Is this acceptable?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: Is this acceptable?

Post by 8ptbuk »

It sounds to me like you may have another bad scope . When you talk to danny ask him about trading your scope for a Leupold .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you can move the scope up or down by hand and the mount [4] screws are not loose, it's the trigger assy screws.

I don't think that's your problem.......Are you sand bagging it to sight in? Most of Excals scopes are 1 click=1/2" at 20 yds.

How does it do for groups? Same bit off at diff targets? Don't shoot it twice w/ same target.

You shouldn't need to shim anything. If all else fails, send the xbow & scope to Danny........

Your problems are unusual for Excals.......Good Luck!
"Eze 18:21"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Once stock off you will see two screws holding the trigger assembly in check those.
If tight then you will have to take it to the dealer or send it to Danny to get checked out.
Tenpoint Matrix
filly

Post by filly »

I think something is awry with the bow because I'm not getting good groups, and I'm shooting from a rest. Scope is rock solid with no noticeable play anywhere, but my groups are maybe 3 inches at 20 yds.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I would confide in excalibur warranty people and quit messin around with it :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I suggest calling excal as well. Sent my SMF scope in after 20 shots, got a new one very fast turn around. Haven't tried it still in the box.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

filly wrote:I think something is awry with the bow because I'm not getting good groups, and I'm shooting from a rest. Scope is rock solid with no noticeable play anywhere, but my groups are maybe 3 inches at 20 yds.
Most defiantly not acceptable.

If you dis-assembled your crossbow down to the trigger unit mounting bolts and reassembled, but found nothing wrong. I would guess its the scope. Danny Miller is your best bet, but you already know what. Give him another call and see what he suggests.

I suggest if you have a suitable scope laying around mount it and see if the problem goes away.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
filly

Post by filly »

Got a 2-7x32 Nikon ProStaff...should I put it on? I'd like a fixed power, however.
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I would try it to see, maybe try some other rings if ya have them. I didn't use the rings that came with the bow, had aluminum vertical split rings on hand.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

filly wrote:Got a 2-7x32 Nikon ProStaff...should I put it on? I'd like a fixed power, however.
Absolutely try it. I also suggest also ditch the Excalibur rings for some Leupold rifleman detachable low rings. These are the rings I use for mounting my Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope on my Matrix 355. I set and leave my scope on 4x.

I feel once you discover its the scope you will be happy with your Nikon ProStaff scope.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
strum

Post by strum »

filly wrote:I think something is awry with the bow because I'm not getting good groups, and I'm shooting from a rest. Scope is rock solid with no noticeable play anywhere, but my groups are maybe 3 inches at 20 yds.
what the guys are saying is ..take the stock off and look at the trigger mount screws. youll see them .one behind the trigger and one in the front of it .
your scope is connected to the rail which is connected to the trigger unit.
..if the trigger unit is loose or maybe a small piece of plastic has gotten in between it and the rail during assembly then that's your problem..
you have to take off the scope mount to get the trigger unit out and since you tried and could not get those screws out .. at least check the trigger screw tightness. .
also check any other screws on the bow such as the riser to rail mount screws located under the front of the rail..
where are you located?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
filly

Post by filly »

Man, I am at the end of my rope messing with this thing. Probably 5 or 6 hours over the past couple of days...the last hour outside at 9 p.m. in 28 degree weather. I'm giving up.

Put the Nikon on and some weaver rings. Really had to crank down on the turret to get the elevation right. When sighted in, next shot would be off an inch or so. Next one might drop 3 inches. Some right, some left. Damn thing won't group. And with the Nikon on top, I don't think I can point to the scope.

I did go in beforehand and check on the trigger assembly. Weren't "loose," but I could turn the bolts maybe 3/4 turn till truly tight. Anyway, no improvement in the groups.

I can't figure out what might be causing this. I'm ruling out the scope now. Everything is tight, too. This is the Axiom with the nylon rail, but man, that thing is solid. I can't see how it could flex during a shot. It's supposed to give the same accuracy as the other models but just allow you to save a bit of $ by not being machined aluminum. Anyway, I'm at a loss.

Gonna call Dan again in the a.m. and let him know what's going on. I assume he's gonna tell me to send in the bow. I'll tell you I'm thinking of sending him the $ difference and picking up an Exocet to get out of the SMF rail material.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Wow not the scope. OK, so let us know what happens with Danny Miller's advice.

Andrew

peter p

Post by peter p »

Try turning the scope rings around.
I know you said you switched from front to back but you should also spin them.
So... if you are having trouble with the lock screw on the right side of the bow, spin the rings so the lock screw is on the left of the bow.
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

Hate to hear you having all that headache. Like you say, the SMF is solid, unless yours is a defect of some sorts. I actually looked at a Phoenix but preferred the ibex. Keep us informed.