Deer Knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

Deer Knife

Post by Fred T »

What are you using or recommend as a good knife for field dressing?
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
catcher

Re: Deer Knife

Post by catcher »

Flip n' Blaze Double Blade by outdoors edge .
The best there is in my opinion, it gets the job done easily.

http://www.outdooredge.com/Flip-n-Blaze ... 0blade.htm
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

This does not answer your question directly but I will add my great find for the perfect deer skinning knife and very reasonably priced. My friend Dennes here from the forum suggested one of the Break Off Blade Utility knives using 18 ml blades from Princess Auto or Canadian Tire for around $10.

Skinning deer always dulled my knife quickly and after I tried the break off blade utility this year I will never use a regular knife again to skin a deer. When the blade dulls slightly just snap the dull end of and continue easily. PERFECT!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/olfa- ... 5046p.html
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Buck 110 mostly for me it holds a good edge an heavy enough to split the pelvic bone with some chopping.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

It's Schrade for me. They will go off colour a little but they hold an edge very well. One of these is always on my hip when out hunting.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My Dagriz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect the best knife i have owned that has been one from DaGrizz. I own half dz more but i can field dress split the brisket on deer & skin & piece out a complete deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cevans

Post by cevans »

SOG field Pup is the knife I have used for the past few years. Holds a edge and cuts thru everything and skins great. Buck knives are good beaters as well.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'll agree the DaGriz knives are fine. Between my son and I we have 6 of them I think.

But with my forgetfulness I always keep something in my hunting pack that will do the job and I can afford to lose should it be lost or stolen. :roll:
A buck Alpha Dorado is always in the pack with my field dressing gloves, a pen for filling out the tags, and a couple small zip-lock bags & cable ties for putting the temporary tag on the deer.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=3081

wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

xcaliber wrote:I started using the thick rubber bands for putting the temporary tag on, works great!
I bought a package of 100 small (3"x4") heavy duty zip-lock bags a couple years ago. Here in Ohio we have to use a temporary tag that can be anything from a file card to a scrap of paper with your name, the time killed, the county it was killed in, and the date of the kill. The temporary tag is not waterproof, so I stick it in the zip-lock bag and attach the bag to the deer. Over the years I've used everything from string to electrical tape and I have had a couple tags blow off when transporting deer to the check station in the past. :roll:
Now the check station can be bypassed with internet or phone check, but I still try to keep the tag on the deer.
wabi
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks for the good suggestions.I found out after trying to dress my first deer recently that I need a much better knife if I'm going to try it again.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
vhntr1

Post by vhntr1 »

Knife of Alaska whitetail,D2 steel holds an edge nice knife for the money.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

SOG field Pup for me too, wife got it for me a couple years ago, it holds an amazing edge. With that knife and the G5 sharpener there are no limits.
To skin the deer I have a razor tool the kids got me a couple years ago, it is just like the deer had a zipper from top to bottom.
Different hands and different skinning techniques make for very different selection of tools.
If it works for you, it is a good tool.

We have a DaGriz in the house, but I am not allowed to use it..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Here my design for a skinning knife. Made from D-2 Stainless, heat treated to hold an edge for a long time. Everyone who has ordered one from me has had nothing but good to say about them!

You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

DaGriz wrote:Here my design for a skinning knife. Made from D-2 Stainless, heat treated to hold an edge for a long time. Everyone who has ordered one from me has had nothing but good to say about them!

Nice looking knife!