Ground Blind vs Ghillie Suit?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cumberlandxbow

Ground Blind vs Ghillie Suit?

Post by cumberlandxbow »

It's Christmas time and I was thinking about getting a hubstyle ground blind.

I hunt on public land and leaving a ground blind in the woods is not an option. Thus, I would have to pack it in and out each hunt which limits my ability to "brush" it in. Do any of you hunt in areas where you must pack your blind in and out? If so, do the deer seem to notice your blind that is set up that day and not fully brushed in?

I currently use a combination of the bungee blind and my ghillie suit. To be honest, I think the ghillie suit tends to work the best as there is less "square footage" of foreign blind material for a deer to notice...you just kind of disappear into the surroundings.

I just feel like if I got a hub style blind and didn't have it brushed in, the deer would easily see and be weary of the new "house" in their woods.

Any feedback/ideas/input from my Excalibur brotherhood?
Waif

Re: Ground Blind vs Ghillie Suit?

Post by Waif »

If for camo purpose only ghillie going to win.
Sure would be nice to combine them.
If I can break my profile I,m fairly content.
Two of us have sat next to each other in wheel chairs hunting geese and about got landed on,my friend with a camo cloak and I wrapped in leafy cut fabric wrapper.Utilizing marsh grass and structure much as possible.
Dang,a hub style ghillie, got me thinking now!A wrap that can be used separate from blind....
I put an hunter orange something on top of blind,just in case some human misses it,but have had deer give bug eyed looks when it( pop up blind, don,t think any saw hub style yet though it works better for me.) shows up where it was not before.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a ghillie and it works well but for packing in and out the day you hunt I like the dog house hoop blind because it is easy to pack just try to put it in alittle cover and it will be fine, I have three hub blinds and they are very good but more trouble to carry in and out.
bdog

Post by bdog »

go with the ghille, if ur not set up early to get the deer used to a new object in town....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Both have their pros and cons. IMO a ground blind works best if you can put it up beforehand and let the deer get used to it, but as you said that's not really an option on public land. They offer better concealment, some scent control, some shelter from the elements, more freedom to move around inside it, etc.

Always wanted a ghillie suit too, but they can be pretty warm in warmer temps. Plus with the hunter orange requirements during gun seasons it sort of defeats the purpose. They say deer cant see the orange but I think they see it just fine. :shock:
I've got a piece of the camo 3-d leaf cut material and I cut a slit in the middle for my head to poke thru and I wear it like a poncho, I cut it so it hangs just past my knees when I stand up and when I sit I can cover my lower legs and feet with it. With a camo net facemask I've had turkeys feeding within 10 yards of me and have had deer and other hunters walk right past me. It works surprisingly well, it's cheap, and it weighs next to nothing, you can fold it up and stick it in a pocket or backpack. With my 4 lb aluminum folding chair and shooting sticks its a great mobile setup, I've taken several deer that way. A couple drawbacks is its so lightweight it wants to flap in the breeze, and you dont want to wear it walking thru brush or briars, you'll snag on everything within sight. :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I was ground hunting when I took my little buck.It was during the gun hunt so even though I had my mandatory orange hat and coat he didn't detect me.I had some partial cover from long grass but keeping relatively still and quiet and most importantly being down wind was key.No way would I want to be in a full camo ground blind during firearms season.I hunted the first month( non gun season) in a hub style blind and while it conceled movement I found it rather restrictive with shooting options.It was on private farm land so left it in place as I wouldn't want to pack it in and out every hunt.On the down side someone else found it and decided they wanted it.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I read an article where a very successful bow hunter leaves his ghillie suit propped in the woods for the deer to see and become accustomed too. His technique is to slip into his suit and easily fill his tag(s).
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Zap

Post by Zap »

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/kill-su ... d-apc003d/

Check the site for different colors, I think the white would be kick azz for snow hunting.
Duck or Bleed.....
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This year I have chasing a particular buck, he can spot my ground blind a mile away, so do the rest of the deer in this area. I do not leave it behind, wish I could but I know it would disappear.
I switched to a gillie suit, and after that buck blowing out on me several times he walked right up to the tree I was sitting under and started working the branches, he was no farther that 2' away from where I was sitting under a tree, 5' from where my blind would sit. He was so close that when I looked up I could see the bottom of his chin as he tore away at the branch. Wind was obviously right, so much so that I had to sit there and smell him the whole time he taunted me.
Lots of good to be said about Gillie suits, but they also have their downfalls.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

public land my vote is for a gille suite easy in and out lot less noise setting things up . easy to move if you have to.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I have both and I am leaning more to the gillie suit.
Never use my blind for deer as I can not leave it out there without risk of it growing legs.

For Turkey's a blind is great but if I have to relocate quickly they are a pain in the rear.

I think my blind may go up for sale after this spring
Tenpoint Matrix
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

I would go with the ghillie suit on public land as well.
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

I would go with the ghillie suit on public land as well. Oops. Double post