Rangefinder Dilema

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schrona1

Rangefinder Dilema

Post by schrona1 »

Thinking about a new rangefinder; Who makes the best bang for your buck finder? Looking at the Leupold RX1000TBR model, Anyone have suggestions?
Alahunter

Re: Rangefinder Dilema

Post by Alahunter »

I bought the Nikon rifle Hunter 550 and have been impressed with it. This is my first year hunting with it and it has done well. Was able to find it on eBay for cheaper than anywhere else. It gives a quick reading and is very reliable. However the Leopold 1000 will probably be a better product. I just did not want to spend that much right after buying the matrix 380. I was able to get the Nikon rifle Hunter 550 for less than $200.
NFH

Post by NFH »

I would say if you can swing the Leupold go for it. I have a Leupold RX 600 that has been great for several years now. This year I decided to get a second range finder; one with a display you can read when its dawn/dusk. I started looking at the Leupold RX 1000 but unfortunately I got cheap and bought a Nikon Rifle hunter 1000 sight unseen based on good reviews. Unlike the Leupold, the Nikon's display cannot be adjusted for brightness. When its dark enough to need the red display you hit the range button and the entire screen washes out red. Yes you can read the range but you can no longer see your target or anything until the display times out. I plan on trying to return the Nikon and exchange for the leupold.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

I went thru your same dilemma earlier this year. I was heavily leaning toward one of the Nikons - was jumping from the 5 to the 7 to the Archers Choice. Also considered the Bushnell "The Truth" and the Chuck Adams Bowhunter addition. Always found something I didn't like on one of the units. Other than cost, the only one I could find nothing I did not like was the Leupold RX-1000i TBR. in the end, I think it was really the bright OLED display sold me on it. I've had it for 2 months and absolutely love. Used it both during archery and gun season.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

For Bow range most will work. The Bushnell line works for me. I range stuff around me in good light then I do not have to fumble with a range finder when Game shows up. I have found like scopes the basic models work best the Gimmick angle stuff is not for me.(Old school Mil-Dot on my Rifles) I like Lieca the best for long range rifle work and extreme cold. They are pricey but worth it I.M.O.
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I bought a Simmons 600 model for $115 at Walmart.Never had any problems with it.You can get an extended 3 year warranty for another $15.Runs on a 9 volt battery.pretty good price for what it does.I only use mine for bowhunting.Unit will range up to 600 yards.Never tried it at that distance.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The older style Leica (bigger and boxier than the new ones) can be had used on the internet for a bit over two bills. They are the most incredible thing you have ever used!!! Heck they are Leica! worth a look and some watching of auctions on ebay.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

If you can afford the Leupold, your done shopping. :)

I have two of the previous versions. My first is a camo RX-II with TBR. I think it was rated to 600 yards, but I only use it while bowhunting. The 6x magnification is big selling point for me. The RX-II was also quick and simple to use when it counts. Press once and hold the button for an instant readout that changes as you look around. This is still my daily carry when I go to the woods in bow season.

Later I picked up an RX-750 TBR for one of my kids. It is essentially the same, except you have to press the button twice.

I bought a Nikon Archers Choice model for my daughter and its fine for bowhunting. The Leupold models are a bit more clear. I haven't had an issue out of any of them. Batteries last more than a full season out of all of them and I range everything.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

I have the Leica rangefinder but it's overkill for bow range. It's really most helpful for longer ranges and conditions where getting a reading with less sensitive range finders. It's also lighter than comparable units which was appreciated when I was in the Frank Church and carrying everything on my back.

If you only need something from a tree stand or a blind, you have a lot of options. Pick the one that looks best to you during low light conditions and be done with it. If you need it for spot and stalk with a rifle, think hard about the Leupold or other premium brands. No point in buying more than once.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I have the Leupold that you mentioned in your post. I am very pleased with it.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

flightattendant100 wrote:The older style Leica (bigger and boxier than the new ones) can be had used on the internet for a bit over two bills. They are the most incredible thing you have ever used!!! Heck they are Leica! worth a look and some watching of auctions on ebay.

You nailed it. I bought one of those after owning two different Bushnel models. The optics are SO sharp that I use it in lieu of pocket binoculars. You get accurate readings and certainly don't have to worry about numerals being so bright as to blind. There is an auto adjustment for ambient light conditions.

That is a terrific product.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:The older style Leica (bigger and boxier than the new ones) can be had used on the internet for a bit over two bills. They are the most incredible thing you have ever used!!! Heck they are Leica! worth a look and some watching of auctions on ebay.

You nailed it. I bought one of those after owning two different Bushnel models. The optics are SO sharp that I use it in lieu of pocket binoculars. You get accurate readings and certainly don't have to worry about numerals being so bright as to blind. There is an auto adjustment for ambient light conditions.

That is a terrific product.
I have a Leica Rangemaster and agree with the two posts above.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I use the same Leica and that rangefinder it is amazing near and far.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Lot of intriguing information here; Might just go for the Leupold as I am quite biased towards their products, have them on all my rifles and very good success, But very appreciative for all of the feedback... THANX EVERYONE!
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D
jd4223 wrote:I bought a Simmons 600 model for $115 at Walmart.Never had any problems with it.You can get an extended 3 year warranty for another $15.Runs on a 9 volt battery.pretty good price for what it does.I only use mine for bowhunting.Unit will range up to 600 yards.Never tried it at that distance.
x2 works great.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.