String Loop Separation Stopped

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

String Loop Separation Stopped

Post by 8ptbuk »

Ive been building and testing several different string configurations and Ive found a combination that I think will be trouble free and totally stop serving seperation around the loops . My solution is take it completely off the loops ! Im shooting a 36 strand 452x string like the one in the pic and its doing great ! I checked my Mag Tips before doing this and there smooth as silk so I knew cutting strands wouldn't be a problem . Ive got around 200 shots on the string so far and its showing no signs of wear . Comments ? Advice ? Thanks

[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 9.jpg.html]Image
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Re: String Loop Separation Stopped

Post by Boo »

It's still a total of 36 strands on either side so there should be no breakage issue.
Serving separation at a loop is really only a cosmetic issue and has no bearing on performance or string longevity. If it really bothers you use a small diameter Angel Majesty serving.
For the next string you might want to put a few twist in the loop to even out the tension of the individual strands.
Also, make sure that you make the loops as small as you can. Although I see no problem in breakage you will likely get a bit of creep making your loop larger than you want them. If that happens your loop will slip over the string groove possibly chipping your limb tip flange.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Like don said I use the .018 angel majesty put on tight for all of my end loop servings an I have not had any endloop servings separate on any of my strings yet on my astroflight strings.an endloop serving separation after lots of shooting was a problem with other strings I shot .
Good luck an let us know how it holds up for you. never know till you try :lol:
GGC

Post by GGC »

That's interesting. If you finish your loops with the tag ends you would have an extra measure of durability. Either two color string or split your bundle in half.
GGC
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks for everyones thoughts , I do make the loops slightiy smaller as boo mentioned . The way I see it as of now , The string is cheaper to make , wieghs less , can be made on a String Jig or a simple Stretcher , and is alot faster to make . I guess time will how well it work in the long run . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

GGC wrote:That's interesting. If you finish your loops with the tag ends you would have an extra measure of durability. Either two color string or split your bundle in half.
GGC
Ditto!!! As I was reading your post I was thinking exactly what GGC wrote. I've done that on my compound strings...or would take smoothed out needle nose pliers and carefully put twists in the loops you have.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Its just a standard 36 strand EL string with the tag ends connected about 3 to 4 inches beiow the top of the loop . Same number of strands in the loops as anyone elses except mine doesn't have any serving around the loops . Im sorry if I confused anyone with my description of it . :D

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Dan , If I could make Flemish strings good as yours Id be making them to !!! :D Matter of fact theres 2 of them down there right now ! LOL

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Two of my compound bows have no serving on the loop ends: Cyclone and Mission. Came that way from the factory. I don't see it as a liability as long as
common sense and maintenance is practiced: Cycle out the string if it shows wear, wax the entire sting including the loops.
Flemish strings for my Excals. They are both stronger and faster than most EL's
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!