Still Hunting = Frustration!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Still Hunting = Frustration!

Post by ch312 »

Anyone else having difficulty sealing the deal in regards to still hunting/tracking deer with the bow?

The last couple of years I've been forced to hunt public land and the deer at these area's are like a completely different animal when compared to those who inhabit private property. Last year it took me 4-5 hunts just to tag a doe on public land from a stand when on various private properties during the previous 10 years or so I was almost guaranteed a shot at a deer the first or second hunt from the climbing stand. Still hunting on private properties resulted in 3 deer being shot in 3 consecutive years ranging from 11-15 yards and I was able to get within 30 yards a few other times.

This year I decided to do nothing but still hunt them in the snow and so far I've been out 5 times after snowfalls. I've come close to sealing the deal, but still haven't bloodied and arrow.

The closest I've come so far was 62 yards after crawling on my belly for over almost two hours trying to get close enough to these extremely skittish critters before the 3 does snorted and took off. Besides that, about 75 yards seems to be the range when they know something is up even though I'm a scent control freak and move slower than slow.

I know the still hunting game, but man these public land critters seem to have a sixth sense.

Any tips to help me bag one of these thing's? Switching from private to public land is like learning how to hunt all over again!
ch312

Re: Still Hunting = Frustration!

Post by ch312 »

Forgot to mention today's hunt...

I was out today and there were 2 deer in the spot I was hunting, but judging by the amount of snow coming down and the age of their tracks they vacated the small bush maybe 30-45 minutes before I arrived. I guess I should have left the house sooner :roll:

I decided to take a drive around the concession to see if they crossed the road or stayed on the concession as I was thinking of going out again tomorrow. They stayed alright...I counted 18 does in the cut corn field far away from the public land property line!

They were really on the move today. Not far from this spot I saw another 4 does just off the road and another 3 a few concessions away.

I thought it was weird to see 25 deer and not a single buck. Not even a spike.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I hear ya I hunt public land every year There like James Bond with hooves
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

CH312,

Your mastery of art surpasses that of most hunters. I doubt there are many here who can give you much more advice regarding still-hunting and tracking, but you may have much to share with us.

Its a fact that North American hunters today are far better hunters than our fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers were. We are much, much, much more safer. We are more knowledgeable about the animals, their biology and their habits. We work harder at hunting and at our marksmanship and we have better equipment.

BUT we hunt differently. More so than ever we are stand hunters. Less so than ever do we still-hunt and track.

Two decades ago I took my first deer still hunting (with a rifle). I studied (and still do) the methods of the Benoit family. But now I hunt differently too, yet I still think about the next deer I might track down in the snow.

My hats off to you.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I'm not the patient, go slow type so I don't still hunt much. Having said that, I do every now and then in those rare conditions that at least make it less of a one way deal. It really does take some work and skill with a bow, even a crossbow!

Only have one under my belt this way (15 yards) but have snuck up on a few more fat does before, the closest one maybe 10 yards away. I guess my senses were on overload because I overshot those! :oops:

Sounds to me like you're way ahead of most on it! Have you had them double back on their trail (snow) and then stand there looking at you looking at all those confusing tracks going this way and that, then snort and head off when you finally find the tracks out and look up at them? I have! :roll:

Don't know about where you are, but the snow we get here in Arkansas is really wet and noisy as hell to walk on, almost as bad as dry leaves noise level wise. How's yours?
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I absolutely love still hunting. I try to find places where 4x4 trucks, 4wheelers nor side by sides can't enter. These are the areas I love to still hunt and most every time out I see deer.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

You already know this but hunt the wind and one thing I use when walking in the bush to hunt deer is my turkey call yes I said "turkey call " I use it to cover any small amount of noise I make.

If you can bring another hunter and do a small drive have one sit while the other walks.

I was out on Sunday afternoon with a buddy and we walked up on to within 25 yds to 13 deer feeding in a corn field heading back to the truck at last light.

Good luck!!
The best things in life are not things!!
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Many thanks for the encouragement and tips everyone, especially ninepointer who is giving me more credit than I think I deserve. I've always thought still hunting was a normal thing for deer hunters and figured I was just doing the same thing as everyone else. Guess not! :lol:

As for the type of snow we get, right now it's the best type you could ask for and is completely silent. I think that's going to change as they're calling for +4 temps and rain in a couple days which will freeze and make still hunting impossible. I like to drag my feet along the ground without lifting them which allows me to feel for sticks with my toes and ensures that I never break sticks by stepping on them. This basically eliminates the sound of snow compressing beneath my boots as well.

The two hunts before my last were in very thick cover in bedding area's, but even in that thick stuff the deer knew something was up when I was well out of bow range. I just can't believe how these pressured public land deer can sense when something isn't right.

Madmax, I'm going to try the turkey calling on my next hunt to see if that helps relax the deer. Should I use a diaphragm call and make a few clucks as I go? I wonder if dressing in all black and clucking as I go would confuse the deer long enough to get within bow range? :D

I've also heard from a couple guys that literally running through the bush towards the deer can get you within range as they'll just think it's a deer coming towards them. It sounds crazy enough that it may work as deer are more leery when they suspect they're being hunted and on multiple occasions I've watched deer just stand there as turkey or deer ran towards them. I've also walked right up on deer while having a normal conversation with someone.

I wish I would have been able to participate in the controlled shotgun hunt this year. I bought a new slug gun (H&R Ultra Light 20 gauge), but I forgot to apply for the dang hunt! Using a gun around here is basically cheating and you're pretty much guaranteed a deer.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Here's the result of the hunt where I got within 62 yards of them. Two in the foreground and the 3rd bed is between the trees in the upper left corner. They were bedded in a small 5 x 5 yard clearing in the bush, but you can kinda see how thick the cover is in the top of the picture.

I've used the GoPro for a couple hunts, but haven't been able to get close enough to even see the deer in the video...
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

CH,

I presume its a vertical bow and not a crossbow that you are hunting with? Its dang hard to quietly slip through the bush with a crossbow.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

When walking to stand or stalking I try to sound like a flock of turkey's cruising the bush I try to replicate hens and poults.
The best things in life are not things!!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Your taking on the by far toughest way to take a deer. Patience, patience and more of the same. I've done it with mule deer but not a whitetail. I came very close but no cigar. :D I do admire you for trying.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

MADMAX2 wrote:When walking to stand or stalking I try to sound like a flock of turkey's cruising the bush I try to replicate hens and poults.
Awesome! I'm going to try this on the next hunt and if it works I'll mail you some jerky. :D
ninepointer wrote:CH,

I presume its a vertical bow and not a crossbow that you are hunting with? Its dang hard to quietly slip through the bush with a crossbow.
I'm using my exomax and it's the only thing I've ever used while stalking deer. You're right, it doesn't make life any easier and to say I'm exhausted after a long stalk would be an understatement. :D

If I still had access to private land I would be using my recurve, which is something I've always wanted to do. I wouldn't even consider it for these public land critters.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I hope to see a photo of your deer down by the end of the year. All good advice given, Good Luck!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Double post
Last edited by ninepointer on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.