Swhacker tune up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lake shooter

Swhacker tune up

Post by Lake shooter »

I still have the Jones to try my Swhackers but after reading the post about the wing blades causing carbon shaft damage, I took them off until sometime when I felt like messing with the problem. Don't know about the two 100 grain models, but the 125's wing blade definitely contact the Diablo shaft when open! :shock:

What I did was simple and quick, actually much faster than doing a good job touching up a COC BH!

We have one of those hand held "Dremel on steroids" devices for taking care of dog claws. I marked the wing blades where the ferrule ended, not wanting to go any higher than this point, then took the pooch grinder and lightly removed some material from just below the ferrule contact down, angling out slightly. It would be nice to have a grain scale and get them identical in weight, but I have a good eye for shapes and symmetry ( I AM a sailmaker!).

I got both wing blades relieved and looking the same, then held the shaft up to the window and let gravity open the blades. The backlighting was perfect, and that short job did indeed open a slight gap between the shaft and the wing blades and they now sit on the ferrule when open.

Ready to do some rib swhackin' now!!! :twisted:
Roadrunnr72

Re: Swhacker tune up

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Nice idea. My swhackers left marks in the ferrules a just slightly in the arrows, but not enough to damage them. If shooting a fast bow, I can see how damage can occur.

Not to hijack your thread, but I just finished destroying two Swhackers. Well, one was just the blades twisted, the other was the main body bent. Thankfully, when I bought them, they were BOGO free. I switched the blades from the bent shaft to the one with the bent blades. At least one looks like new, just need to touch up the blades....RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

How'd ya mess them up?

On the shaft contact: I wasn't taking the chance with the power coming from the 380!!!!! :D I already lost one bolt taking my buck last month. Gotta do what I can to make this as economical as possible! :oops:
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

good luck
Dash

Post by Dash »

I believe swhacker is one of the best broadhead designs out there. They fly well and due to smart design take the least energy to open for a mechanical.
My only bitch with this broadhead is how the swinging blades overtravel to the point where they almost touch the shaft, and marks the insert/shaft on hard impact.
It would be a very easy fix to leave just 1mm extra material in the ferrule to stop the blades swinging back and marking the shaft/insert. I hope Swhacker get off there asses and sort this out. It would be a shame to let such a small issue like this tarnish an otherwise great mechanical broadhead.
At the moment a thin steel washer just protrudes the shaft OD works for me to protect the shaft.
Buy the way swhacker, a heavier steel version would be nice for crossbows too :wink: 150-175 maybe :wink:
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Lake shooter, I was just at the Swhacker web site, under their FAQ, the question and answer was what you did, sand a little off the back, so it doesn't contact the bolt shaft.

As to what I did to mine, shot a doe. Was hunting next door, first time, the doe came in quartering towards me, stepped part way out from behind a bush, and froze. She kept looking around, towards me, then to my right, then back at me. I didn't move, finally she decided something wasn't right and took about 2 steps in the opposite direction, quartering away. Decided to shoot right behind the rib cage. She dropped like a rock, but continued to kick. By the time I reloaded, she had turned around and was facing me. I decided to shoot again, and put her down. This shot was right at the chest. She was dead in about 5 seconds, after the second shot. The first shot twisted the blades, the second bent the BH ferrule, but didn't hurt the blades. Got her hanging out back, and will check the damage tomorrow....RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

A bent blade or two is a small price to pay for no tracking job!!!!! :D :wink:

I also agree with the opinion that Swhacker needs to get ahead of this problem of the wing blade hitting the wider diameter shafts. Still, if they do as claimed and as I have seen with my own eyes on YouTube, doing a little re shaping job is not that big a deal to me.
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Last week I had one of my daughters with me and took a small doe. Swhacker went clean through and into the dirt. Cleaned it up, hit it with the sharpener and back into the quiver, no damage to the BH, but devistating on the deer.....RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

You know it wouldn't take much for Swhacker to do their part from the start if they only would. So the costumer doesn't have to for them!!!!
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Money, money, money. Like Hank Parker and son's need it! :roll: I don't begrudge anyone a fair profit and good return on their investment, but they need to take care of folks. I sent them an email about this issue 6 weeks ago and never got a reply. Not much for customer service! :evil: