Considering a 405 be Honest With Yourself

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

massbow

Re: Considering a 405 be Honest With Yourself

Post by massbow »

Shot two bucks this year with my 355. Both where clean pass thru and then buried the bolt up to the nock! Im good plenty fast and strong for me.
Team 355
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I am 46 years old, 6 feet tall at approx 200lbs with the reach of an ape. I first had the Equinox (225lb draw weight) which I felt the need to shorten the rope cocking device. The long 16.5" power stroke at 112.5lb pull was a stretch to cock.

Then I bought the Matrix 355 (240lb draw weight) with a short 12" power stroke at 120lb pull made it easy. I use the factory Excalibur rope cocking device at full length.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

The C2 Cranking Aid I have right now says it would be capable of cocling the 405, but the finances says no. My sweet camo gal Carol will have to keep me happy, but I still get the itch, :lol: :lol: :lol: . But if I were to go with a new one it would be the new Matrix 330 I believe.
Raymond
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having killed multiple deer within 35 yards, speed isn't an issue here. I did have problems cocking the Equinox ( a mere 225) but with both shoulders cut and back too (twice) and at 73, having been rode hard put away wet too many times, I'm more into ease of cocking and reliability than speed. The Vortex still fills that bill for me. I realize there are narrower bows but they don't have the history. I'd still be hunting with the Phoenix but the neighbors wife decided he needed it for a Christmas present more than I need it. Speed is great - it kills both deer and bows - but so is reliability.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Buy both and be done . :lol:
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

xcaliber wrote:Cossack, the Vortex is probably the most versatile of all the models in my opinion. That is why I think the 330 will be the hot ticket.
X2
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Well...Got a chance (first time in my career) to get out for winter bow in NJ. I wish I could report a harvest...but that's not what it's all about...I can report that in 17 degree weather in northern NJ with about 9" of powdered snow on the ground and at 5'4" I really had no difficulty to cock and decock the 380....that alone is my success story...it was a beautiful sunny afternoon...my brother in law came out of the woods with his ten point crossbow and wasted an arrow on decocking...lol...in any event...a cold January Saturday in northern NJ hunting with my 380 was so much better and rewarding than spending the afternoon on (for an hour) the psychiatrist's couch...LOL.

All the best,

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

with my vortex this year, shot a doe darn near facing me at ten yards, ground shot that went clean thru shoulder out the arse and buried to the fletchings in the ground, a buck nose to ground 8 yards fast walking, treestand shot thru both shoulders thick part, arrow laying on the ground ten yards beyond , arrow destroyed(blame that on broadhead). i believe speed is plenty without worrying about being to fast for fixed blades.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

IronNoggin wrote:
[email protected] wrote:...I feel sooooo relieved not lusting for anything faster!......
Keep Repeating that to yourself over and over Anthony! :lol:

I KNOW I am! :wink:
And... Hoping it works! :shock:

Cheers,
Nog
Nog, you know it won't work. You'll have to have a 405 the minute you see one. :lol: :lol: I'm sure one of us less fortunate hunters will be glad to buy your old worn out 380.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well bein the midgit that i am weighin around 300 lbs, the 405 mega isn't fer me. So the rest of you will have to buy them :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Not long ago, I tried to find information on when new bow designs would be out.
Nothing was forthcoming so I bought a new Excalibur, my second one.
Then shortly thereafter the Matrix came out. :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I'm still ticked off and won't be buying a Matrix any time soon.
I have two recurves and a Paradox.

If I get the need for speed, it won't be with a recurve, enough said!!!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

If Excalibur has truly been sold to Bowtech, then I have bought my last Excalibur.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...Apparently they have been...(confirmed by Boo!)...sometimes these deals work out great (usually for the departing owners who were bought out)...sometimes for the customers and new owners....as there are fresh ideas which take the company to a new level.....I just hope this is not going to be another Apple after the death of Steve Jobs.....

In all fairness it has to be wait and see...Obviously Bill is a very smart cookie and saw that this was the right time to sell....while Excalibur is doing great and has a great reputation....

We shall see....

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I still want a 405 I dont care who owns what 8)
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

xcaliber wrote:How much, and how long will Bill, and Kath be involved with this new company?
They stepped back some time ago. Now they step back again.
Next step will be the ride off into the sunset!!
Not saying they don't deserve it but the deal with bowtech cannot be good for the rest of us.