Newbie Mistake

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Re: Newbie Mistake

Post by Masboy »

There,s a lot of things I should be shot for ,thinking about doing ,doing, an not paying attention :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom

Post by Tom »

SlackjawedSasquatch wrote:When removing a bolt (w/broadhead) from my quiver I accidentally tapped the string with the broadhead. Now I have to order a new string to replace my new string!

forehead slap.
Roadrunnr72 wrote:Never had this problem, but now it makes me stop and think. I always have my bow case in the truck, and my stringer, but not with me in the woods. May have to change, and start bringing an extra string, and the striger with me. I would had for this to happen, then have to walk all the way back to the truck.

I do need another string, as the extra one I have, doesn't shoot the same as the one on the bow, so it wouldn't do me much good.....RR
Just think about if your bow was not a recurve, but a compound crossbow. Your hunt or shooting would be over until you got to a press to restring the bow again. Not a 5 minute job like it is to replace a string with an Excalibur.

I know more then one person that tapes a spare string to the stock (just below the top ridge) with Duct tape just incase something like this happens.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Tom wrote: I know more then one person that tapes a spare string to the stock (just below the top ridge) with Duct tape just incase something like this happens.
Same here, I always had one spare taped in Saran Wrap under Duct Tape on the opposite cheek side. For me a swap in the field takes place under a minute. I am glad the back up was there but I never required it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've got a little zippered pouch on the stock on the opposite side from my cheek. I keep a couple spare strings, wax, stringing aid, and a couple scope batteries in it. That way I don't forget to bring that stuff with me :lol: it goes with me whenever the bow goes.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just another good reason to use mechanicals. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

sumner4991 wrote:Just another good reason to use mechanicals. :)
scott....where ya been?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
mike w

Post by mike w »

If it makes you feel better, I feared something along these lines too so I ordered a second string along with my bow... Just in case!