Power stroke/Draw lenght

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kamont

Power stroke/Draw lenght

Post by kamont »

Just wondering if i am reading the Ontario hunting regs right or not. Crossbows must have a draw length of at least 11.8 " whereas the Matrix 330 only has a draw of 11.4" does this mean it cannot be used for hunting??
cjonesth

Re: Power stroke/Draw lenght

Post by cjonesth »

Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
kamont

Post by kamont »

OK what am I missing???
cjonesth

Post by cjonesth »

cjonesth

Post by cjonesth »

kamont

Post by kamont »

So the power stroke is not the draw length
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

I'm looking at an Excalibur crossbow for my first bow hunt this fall and had the same question regarding whether or not the Matrix 330 met the requirements for Ontario. Sent an inquiry to the MNR and the following is the response I just just received today (Spoiler alert: Short answer is 'no').
Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

What enforcement is measuring in the field is from where your bow string rests (crossbow uncocked), to where it locks back in the cocking/trigger mechanism at full draw. The draw length, or power stroke must be a minimum of 300 mm (11.8”).

We hope you find this information helpful. If you require further assistance, please contact the Natural Resources Information Centre at 1-800-667-1940.

Regards,

NRIC web reader - CG
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Natural Resources Information Centre
300 Water Street, P.O. Box 7000
Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5
1-800-667-1940
TTY: 1-866-686-6072
Fax: 705-755-1677
[email protected]
Has the person responding to me made a mistake? I can't say for certain, but it *is* the reply from an MNR representative.

-P.
Matrix 380
Bones

Post by Bones »

pstjohn wrote:I'm looking at an Excalibur crossbow for my first bow hunt this fall and had the same question regarding whether or not the Matrix 330 met the requirements for Ontario. Sent an inquiry to the MNR and the following is the response I just just received today (Spoiler alert: Short answer is 'no').
Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

What enforcement is measuring in the field is from where your bow string rests (crossbow uncocked), to where it locks back in the cocking/trigger mechanism at full draw. The draw length, or power stroke must be a minimum of 300 mm (11.8”).

We hope you find this information helpful. If you require further assistance, please contact the Natural Resources Information Centre at 1-800-667-1940.

Regards,

NRIC web reader - CG
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Natural Resources Information Centre
300 Water Street, P.O. Box 7000
Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5
1-800-667-1940
TTY: 1-866-686-6072
Fax: 705-755-1677
[email protected]
Has the person responding to me made a mistake? I can't say for certain, but it *is* the reply from an MNR representative.

-P.
Yup they have !! Measured from the outer edge of the limb to latch ! according to online and paper reg's !!
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp (where the bolt rests) from outer edge of the main limb, to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw.
This was taken from the OHEP "Ontario Hunter Education Program" website.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

way123hockey wrote:The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp (where the bolt rests) from outer edge of the main limb, to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw.
The ambiguities in that text is exactly why I contacted the MNR.
- What is the "main limb"? a recurve xbow has two limbs. No illustration of a crossbow I looked at labelled anything as a "main limb".
- What is the "outer edge"? I can think of at least two interpretations (see attached image)
draw_length.PNG
draw_length.PNG (11.91 KiB) Viewed 8043 times
Frankly, the reply from the MNR surprised me. I expected their definition to be from where the two limbs attach to the body to the anchor point. Otherwise the Matrix 330 (a more powerful bow than, say, the Axiom) can't be used for deer but a less powerful bow can be.

Perhaps as a [soon to be] new bow hunter I'm over analysing this, but the last thing I want when out in the woods to have my hunt ruined on a technicality. Maybe I will call the number provided and get a clarification on the clarification...

-P.
Matrix 380
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

pstjohn wrote:
way123hockey wrote:The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp (where the bolt rests) from outer edge of the main limb, to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw.
The ambiguities in that text is exactly why I contacted the MNR.
- What is the "main limb"? a recurve xbow has two limbs. No illustration of a crossbow I looked at labelled anything as a "main limb".
- What is the "outer edge"? I can think of at least two interpretations (see attached image)
draw_length.PNG
Frankly, the reply from the MNR surprised me. I expected their definition to be from where the two limbs attach to the body to the anchor point. Otherwise the Matrix 330 (a more powerful bow than, say, the Axiom) can't be used for deer but a less powerful bow can be.

Perhaps as a [soon to be] new bow hunter I'm over analysing this, but the last thing I want when out in the woods to have my hunt ruined on a technicality. Maybe I will call the number provided and get a clarification on the clarification...

-P.
Your diagram on the left is "draw length" while the diagram on the right is "power stroke"
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

The draw length is measured along the bolt ramp. So the picture on the left.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

pst....john

Do you think a Can co would sell xbows not legal in Can? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

why not thy sell them all over the world for hunting and target shooting even are azze friends enjoy them Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

awshucks wrote:pst....john

Do you think a Can co would sell xbows not legal in Can? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I feel I really need to clarify a some points.

1) All my discussion has been for Ontario only. I have not looked into nor inquired about regulations in other provinces and territories of Canada.

2) Whether or not a particular crossbow is within specifications for hunting big game in Ontario is not the same as saying selling, buying or using the crossbow for other purposes is illegal.

3) The intent of my original post was to pass along the information provided by the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) - the legal entity responsible for setting and enforcing hunting regulations in Ontario. The statement regarding in-field measuring of draw length is theirs, not mine.

Does it seem crazy that a more powerful bow would not be in specs when a less powerful bow with a longer power stroke would be? Yep, sure does.

Does it seem nuts that Excalibur would produce a 'big game' bow that can't be used for big game in some places? Yep, sure does.

Have I ever seen regulations that I didn't agree with or think made sense? You betcha. Regardless I try very hard to stay on the legal side.

Would it surprise me that the MNR representative responding to me got it wrong? Nope, not at all.

Would I feel antsy out in the woods hunting with a bow when I'm on record asking if the specs of that very bow met Ontario big game hunting regulations and was told in no uncertain terms by the governing entity that it did not? I certainly would. But then again I'm an anal sort of fella.

As it turns out, I think I've settled on the 380 as the bow I will get (which for me makes the matter mote). Regardless I may pursue further inquiry to the MNR on this matter simply out of curiosity.

Good luck to everyone in this fall's hunt.

-P.
Matrix 380