Need Help With a Horton Safari Magnum X Bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Need Help With a Horton Safari Magnum X Bow

Post by Galgo »

Ok I was given an old X Box and I want to string it and shoot some arrows out of it for fun

The blue rope appears to be a cocking or stringing aid. Two strings came with the bow. One String is way too long and the shorter string seems about right. I am trying to string the shorter one one but short of going to a bow shop and using a press I have no idea how to. the wooden arrows came with the bow and would probably shoot OK but I Have no idea how to string it. I used my excalibur rope cocker and the long string and cocked it but I need to cock it further to get the shorter string on. any suggestions? Appreciated.

F
foofoo

Re: Need Help With a Horton Safari Magnum X Bow

Post by foofoo »

the blue rope seems to be where you put your foot in and use as a stirup.probably made to go on each side of the limbs at the nose.the longer string is your stringer im gonna guess.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Thx foofoo. The blue rope as the stirrup makes perfect sense although it means it has to be on all the time but oh well...I will try using the method described in the link. Im just not sure how it will work because both loop ends have to share the same notch but there must be a way. Thanks again for the help.

F
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

from the looks of the instructions the only thing i can think is that once the new string is on you gotta play tug-o-war with the string loop til its off.probly 120 or 150 lb prod so might not be too bad. there are other methods on you-tube but some methods might put too much stress on the limbs. i saw one of those listed on ebay about a week ago. looks like they still fetch decent prices.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Yes I tried the tug o war last night and only succeeded in ruining the loop servings. I will probably need to have a custom string made if i shoot this thing much. Tonight I will try to make a cocking aid like the exclaibur one and do it right.., thx again for your help...
MCA

Post by MCA »

cool bow, I like the old classic recurve crossbows.

I remember seeing this bow advertised, the original stir up was made of simple rawhide. Bernard Horton used this bow to take Moose and Bear.
my opinion is that you should use the string that give you approx 3" brace height.

:D enjoy this classic

MCA
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Thanks MCA that was going to be my next question...If I ever get the string on...any idea of the poundage of this thing? It feels like close to 100lbs (more like three hundred after trying to string it for an hour...) :oops:

F
MCA

Post by MCA »

I think I have a book at home on crossbows and this one is highlighted. I will try to find the book to see what it says on draw weight

MCA
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Awesome thanks!
MCA

Post by MCA »

Galgo, I can email you the 4 page write up on your Horton from the book "crossbows" by Roger combs, send me a PM
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

All my crossbow prod bows I stand up with butt on floor and I press the limbs down while my wife puts the string on for me. Pretty hard to do them by ones self.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

MCA - PM sent
Gonna give that a try Wheelie. AFter all I just spent an hour dying my wife's hair…she owes me! :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's some info on the Horton Safari Magnum X.

It was introduced in 1975, featuring a polypropylene stock, a Dial-A-Range sight adjustment feature, a 150-pound draw, and a rawhide-thong foot stirrup.

Here's a link to a pic I found

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&t ... B640%3B480

Hope that helps.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Thanks Lou MCA sent me some very interesting info as well. Got your PM and replied thanks. Will still look for a string maker to make strings for it.

F