Proper Bench Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gmen

Proper Bench Shooting

Post by Gmen »

I purchased my Matrix 355 last year and am still trying to improve my shooting. I had many problems with bolts not being tight and had to reinstall them using Loctite. I purchased an arrow spinner and a Lumenok F.A.S.T. squaring tool. Two of my Diablo bolts were not very straight. They are going to be replaced. I have several questions: 1) How important are straight bolts? 2) Are Diablo bolts adequate? 3) How do I shoot from a bench e.g. do I hold the front of my stock? I do use a sand bag, but I don't hold the front of the stock.

Thanks.
8ptbuk

Re: Proper Bench Shooting

Post by 8ptbuk »

Bipod on front/sandbag in rear
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

If you want the tightest groups possible from bench get yourself a Caldwel rest for bench or something similar. There is no need to hold front when in such a rest. I have been able to shoot 1" groups at 90yrds out of my Matrix 380 using GT Laser 3 bolts and brass inserts along with G5 Strikers 100gr. I ditched the Diablos and the stock scope prior to even starting out based on past practices. Using Leupold Cross BOnes scope.

Practice your breathing skills and perhaps a trigger job and your groups should tighten up with practice.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I agree with the previous comments. I do all my sighting using a Caldwell lead sled. There is a velco strap which you can use to hold the barrel down for rifles but can't use for crossbows. Not needed though because as long as you squeeze the trigger smoothly, any perceived movement that you feel is occuring after the bolt/bullet has left the launcher. I don't hold the forestock when on the sled and I could easily "robin hood" bolts with my Exocet.

As for how important are straight arrows.....I wouldn't knowingly shoot anything but a straight arrow....except perhaps to shoot into the ground to decock a compound xbow. A non-straight arrow would fly.....non-straight.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

Ineresting, since I am just getting started!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Peacemaker wrote: There is a velco strap which you can use to hold the barrel down for rifles but can't use for crossbows.
Are you sure about that, you never want to hold a barrel down because it throws off harmonics of the barrel, which is why you rest the forend not the barrel of a rifle on a sand bag.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Bullzeye wrote:
Peacemaker wrote: There is a velco strap which you can use to hold the barrel down for rifles but can't use for crossbows.
Are you sure about that, you never want to hold a barrel down because it throws off harmonics of the barrel, which is why you rest the forend not the barrel of a rifle on a sand bag.
Yes I am sure that there is a Velcro strap on the lead sled which you can use to hold down rifle barrels but can't use for crossbows. Yes I have heard about a strap or other barrel contact potentially effecting things but I have seen no difference with or without the strap, at least with 22's, rifled barrels 12 gauges, and .50 cal muzzleloaders. I don't usually use the strap because it is not needed and just slows down reloading. But yes, I am sure that it is there and that is what it is for (unless perhaps it is only intended for heat shielded AR type barrels or guns, but I do not believe that the instructions limit it's use to that).
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Sorry, I did not mean to say it was not actually there lol but I'd bet its meant to be on extremely loose, not actually holding the barrel down with any kind of pressure but to keep control of barrel jump on high recoil rifles for people like myself who do not touch the forend while shooting, I guess that would make sense.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Bullzeye wrote:Sorry, I did not mean to say it was not actually there lol but I'd bet its meant to be on extremely loose, not actually holding the barrel down with any kind of pressure but to keep control of barrel jump on high recoil rifles for people like myself who do not touch the forend while shooting, I guess that would make sense.
I went back and checked the Lead Sled (solo model)instructions, since you had me thinking about it. In two places, the instructions say to secure the rifle using the forend strap. In both places is a bolded warning that says failure to properly secure the rifle could cause serious injury, blah blah blah.
A link to an online version of the Lead Sled solo instructions is: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/d ... ctions.pdf

It is worth noting that the upgraded version of the lead sled (the lead sled plus) does not include a forend strap.
Go figure.....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

First off, if a bolt is not straight I'd never shoot it. Use what you have available to you. Blocks with sand bags, old socks filled with rice really are great (thanks boo), fill two smaller socks with rice and put them in a bigger rice filled sock. I've gotten my best results putting my stock on the rest, NOT THE BARREL! I snug the butt stock firmly into my shoulder and I hold the forestock so it can't jump. I hold it on the rice bags on blocks that is. I'm also still making changes and waiting for my new leupold scope. This is just what I've found to work but there are shooters here with a lot more expertise than me so I gladly deferr to them. :) I'm also wishing I can get 1" groups at 90 yards.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

The diablos are garbage, kit arrows. 2/4 that came in my kit were bunk and wouldn't spin true. I also prefer heavier brass inserts. An arrow that won't spin true will not be accurate at long distances and especially so with broadheads

I practice shooting off-hand. I also shoot with a set of Primos trigger sticks. When I hunt on the ground, I use these all the time. They are pretty slick. I've always wanted to buy the lead sled. For sighting-in, this would be the cat's ass.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This is a rest I made about 25yrs ago, works fine for any thing I set in it, adjustable front height and I clamp the whole set up to what ever table were shooting off of, i can strap guns down in it, xbows to me are held down easily,works for me

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Gmen

Post by Gmen »

Thanks for your opinion on Diablos. I sent two back and had two new ones sent to me. The new ones spin pretty good. I never made any arrows before. I would be willing to try. Who would you recommend for arrow making supplies. Also, does anyone sell custom bolts for a Matrix 355?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Gmen wrote:Thanks for your opinion on Diablos. I sent two back and had two new ones sent to me. The new ones spin pretty good. I never made any arrows before. I would be willing to try. Who would you recommend for arrow making supplies. Also, does anyone sell custom bolts for a Matrix 355?

Big John here on the forum,The Man
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:This is a rest I made about 25yrs ago, works fine for any thing I set in it, adjustable front height and I clamp the whole set up to what ever table were shooting off of, i can strap guns down in it, xbows to me are held down easily,works for me

Wes
Now that is using the think tank. Way to go.
Raymond