Small Game with Matrix 380?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Significent

Small Game with Matrix 380?

Post by Significent »

I understand elephants have been taken with the Matrix 380. We don't have any elephants in my neck of the woods, but we do have a plethora of pesky red fox. When I'm hunting whitetails with my vertical bow, I usually carry an arrow with a "junk" broadhead for fox. But, when I take my brand new Matrix 380 deer hunting, I won't have any junk broadheads, plus I'm concerned about losing or breaking bolts.

I've seen a few posts about using blunts with xbows that don't have quite the kinetic energy of the 380. (Saunders" is mentioned as a good brand.) Sounds as though they soak up some of the harsh impact and aren't easily buried under leaves.

I'll be shooting 18" Black Eagle Executioners with 100gr broadheads through the deer, so I'd like to find an effective small game tip that flies similarly. Does anyone have any experience shooting small game tips from a Matrix 380? If so, I'd appreciate hearing what, if anything, works well.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
MCA

Re: Small Game with Matrix 380?

Post by MCA »

shot a rabbit recently with a judo point, (blunt head with wire claw)
pinned it to the ground, and no damage to the arrow. this was out of my older exocet though. :)

MCA
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I shot at a red squirrel last month with a blunt hit a 1/2 in high and never seen arrow again won't do that again :D glad I didn't have a lumnoc on it :mrgreen:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Take a field point of same weight as your broadhead and file or grind tip of it bit flat and go to it! Bound to go through anything you shoot at so I'd look at shoulder hit on a fox to anchor them.
bolt chucker

Post by bolt chucker »

Check out G5 they have a small game head. One of the best I've ever used. And I've never lost a arrow with one. And they fly like a field point.
Significent

Post by Significent »

bolt chucker wrote:Check out G5 they have a small game head. One of the best I've ever used. And I've never lost a arrow with one. And they fly like a field point.
G5 Outdoors makes good products. I may just give them at try: http://www.g5outdoors.com/product_detail/27

I thought a blunt might do the necessary damage without bloodying up my bolt, but that's probably wishful thinking. I like the description on the website. Sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

I appreciate everyone's input!
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I shoot my deer arrows (GT2 with Rage2 broadheads) at coyotes and anything pretty much I shoot. They deserve a clean kill as well. One year deer hunting I fired all four arrows and got two rabbits. Got home and thought about it and told my wife these rabbits cost me $75. in arrows. Next time I will just go to a rabbit farm and buy my rabbits. :lol:

Shooting even a blunt with a M380 will likely go through a rabbit or squirrel. Good luck with that sport! :lol:
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

wheelie wrote:I shoot my deer arrows (GT2 with Rage2 broadheads) at coyotes and anything pretty much I shoot. They deserve a clean kill as well. One year deer hunting I fired all four arrows and got two rabbits. Got home and thought about it and told my wife these rabbits cost me $75. in arrows. Next time I will just go to a rabbit farm and buy my rabbits. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shooting even a blunt with a M380 will likely go through a rabbit or squirrel. Good luck with that sport! :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I like the G5 head. I don't think it will hold up to the M380. I had one of the hooks break on one, and that was using a Phoenix. Not sure if I hit something solid, like a rock. I still carry one with me, I case an opportunity come up.....RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

could a wood dowel be used ?
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

otisbrazwell wrote:could a wood dowel be used ?
Only if you like shattered shards of wood flying all over, and possible into your body parts....RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

why not an oak dowel same weight as the arrow..myself a would not shoot rabits with my 380 then cry about the cost..that thing would go through an elephant
Significent

Post by Significent »

Sounds like whatever I use will probably get beat up. Since the G5 SGB reportedly flies just like a field tip, I still think I'll try it.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

if you shoot from tree stand it's not too bad but from ground blind.... good luck
I got 2 partridge and 1 rabbit with my 380 from ground blind but I had a hill behind to prevent arrows going too far, even though it took over 1 hour to find the arrow from a shot I took for a squirrel, found the arrow but lost the squirrel.

better have a camera so you can play it slow motion for arrow trajectory :mrgreen:
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
strum

Post by strum »

this is a classic case of over gunning the game.
you wouldnt be shooting a squirrel with your 30.06 or 7mm mag..
no dis respect meant here but these are some of the problems from using the biggest, fastest, baddest weapon. not saying you cant kill the small game but you may as well be ready to give up some arrows :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16