Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit SUCCESS!!"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Re: Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit bad news*

Post by Farmer »

That is the way I have removed many broken bolts / studs .Galgo are you located anywhere near Chatham Ontario ?? I could weld it for you if so were interested in trying this method .
Galgo

Re: Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit SUCCESS!!"

Post by Galgo »

Thanks Farmer I live in Toronto. I appreciate the generous offer. I was able to get it out yesterday. After letting it sit for a day in oil I went at it on Friday and managed a turn and a half beofre I stripped out the remaining threads.

I decided to let it soak for another day and I went out and bought a new set of vice grips. Larger with a flat mouth as opposed to the rounded mouth of the pliers I had. It worked! I also sat an ice cube on the bolt for an hour before I gave it a shot but it came out relatively easily then.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. I would have been in a world of hurt without it.

Now I need suggestions on a product to rubberize the stirrup which was my whole reason for doing this in the firsts place :oops:
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

You could try some Plasti Dip . A strip of rubber between the rail and stirrup might be something to try as well .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

YAAAY! :D Glad you got it fixed!
As for stirrup wrap, there's a lot of suggestions out there, surgical tubing, rubber fuel line, paracord, and several others, even some products designed for that but I dont recall the names right now. I used thick rubber electrical tape on mine, wrapped it in a couple layers then went over that with cloth camo tape. It's cheap, easy, and it works, thin enough to not interfere with the vanes as the arrow leaves the bow but thick enough to tone down the vibrations considerably. I've thought about taking my stirrup off and dipping it in the plastic stuff you dip tool handles in, but I've got some rusty hardware too and I'd rather not run into what you just did. :lol: Good luck with it!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Galgo wrote:Now I need suggestions on a product to rubberize the stirrup which was my whole reason for doing this in the firsts place
3M Scotch 23 rubber splicing tape . And you don't have to remove your stirrup :)
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats Galgo!, I'm glad it came out, remember to clean the threads.
Anyway, the local guy who sprays rubber Rhino liners on pickup beds said he would coat my stirrups in exchange for a couple venison steaks. I'm going to tape up the attachment section of the stirrup and hit the freezer before going over, I'll do it soon and leave them outside so any scent can dissipate before hunting season.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

MI Yeti wrote: A strip of rubber between the rail and stirrup might be something to try as well .
Seems logical that it would help isolate the stirrup from the rest of the bow, although the bolts will still transmit some vibration. I've got some rubber sheet material that I think would be perfect, gonna try it and see. :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

enormous wrote:Congrats Galgo!, I'm glad it came out, remember to clean the threads.
Anyway, the local guy who sprays rubber Rhino liners on pickup beds said he would coat my stirrups in exchange for a couple venison steaks. I'm going to tape up the attachment section of the stirrup and hit the freezer before going over, I'll do it soon and leave them outside so any scent can dissipate before hunting season.
Hey Norm, that's completely brilliant!! :D :D ! I've thought of everything but that. I'll be finding a rhino linings shop close to home and heading down. The guys that did my truck box even have different colors.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

If you go the paracord route make sure to Not wrap paracord in the middle where the vane passes over because the vane will just just touch the cord.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

enormous wrote:Congrats Galgo!, I'm glad it came out, remember to clean the threads.
I took mine to the pick-up accessory place as well and they sprayed mine for 20.00.A little steep I thought but its done and has looked nice for about a year.
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

Glad you got it out... I am a journeyman Machine Repairman and have been following this thread and have to say that you were given a lot of good advice and I am very glad you got it out, Breaking it off then redrilling isn't nearly as easy as removing the stuck bolt, even if it takes time removal is always what you should shoot for and I am glad to see you accomplished your mission.
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Glad you were able to get them out .
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Thanks guys another lesson I leaned for those of you who might be in the same predicament is at the first sign of trouble I should have removed the string and limbs, but the riser in a good solid clamp (without damaging it) and really focused on getting it out with a good allen key. Maybe use a little pipe for additional leverage. Every time the allen wrench slipped, it took me closer to a strip and bigger problems. take your time on prep and you will save a lot of time in damage control.

F