Increased range with 405?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Increased range with 405?

Post by Kegbelly »

I don't want to start the ethical debate on shot distances again, I'm just thinking out loud and looking for input. I have a 40 yard maximum shot limit on myself and my old bow. It shoots a solid 328 with BH's (for the record my longest shot so far has been 34 yards). So in doing the math, at my 40 yard max shot distance the arrow theoretically will impact the target in about 0.366 seconds. Now let's say I get 390 fps out of the 405. Plug that number in and speaking strictly in terms of time to impact, at 390 fps, in the same 0.366 seconds my arrow now will be at about 47.6 yards. If the deer jumps a string and causes me a miss or bad hit, he's going to do it within that 0.366 second window whether I'm shooting the slower bow at 40 yards or the faster one at 47 yards. But the faster arrow at the longer yardage is still same amount of time from arrow release to impact. So it begs the question, why not stretch your effective hunting range out a little with the 405? Obviously I'm not factoring in wind drift, unseen limbs in the way, or more lead on a moving target, but say you've got one of those perfect dead still mornings, and a clear shot at deer at ease grazing on a field. Assuming I'm properly sighted for a longer shot and have the skills to make the shot, why not? Am I missing something?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
wheelie

Re: Increased range with 405?

Post by wheelie »

212 1/2 pound pull I can feel a tear in my back every time and I hobble around for days. You may have missed that. :lol: Sucks getting old! :cry:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

wheelie wrote:Sucks getting old!
:lol: I agree Wheelie but it beats the alternative. :D
Matrix 380
Exomag
bdog

Post by bdog »

Sounds good Kbelly as long as that deer has no idea and isn't in any kind of alert mode, and like you stated you're confident in making the shot, not just hoping....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Boo

Post by Boo »

bdog wrote:Sounds good Kbelly as long as that deer has no idea and isn't in any kind of alert mode, and like you stated you're confident in making the shot, not just hoping....
Well said!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You can increase your range by knowing your equipment better . . .however, the better the hunter, the shorter the range . . .just the way it is . . .I mean, who wouldn't perfer to have a 20 yard shot over a 40 yard shot?

Anyway, I set up for a 20-30 yard shot and that's what I normally get. That has a lot to do with the terrain I'm hunting too. In most cases, I can't see much past 20 yards. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Sure I'd prefer a 20 yard shot over a 40 yard shot but I don't get to pick where the deer are, I tried but they don't mind very well :lol:
I'm not talking about a huge increase in range, maybe 10 yards at most from 40 to 50 yds. The math says it's doable. The one thing I can't calculate (I don't have a chrony) is downrange arrow speed and the resulting KE. I know for a fact my current setup will shoot longways thru a deer at 34 yds, had a 120 lb doe stop almost head on, hit her just to the left of the sternum and the arrow came out the opposite hind leg. So I think the 405 would have plenty of KE at 50 to take the average whitetail in my area. I think the bow will be capable of delivering an accurate shot at that range, and I think I can too. Of course I would put in the target time at longer yardages for practice.
Matrix 380
Exomag
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It's doable. Just let your conscience be your guide......Some I'd consider closer than others, dunno........ :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Im sorta like Keg on this one , If your gonna limit your shots to 40 yds why buy a 405 ??? :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think we each have a personal effective range. The range we can MAKE a perfect kill shot 100% of the time. If the conditions are perfect I think you can make an ethical shot at extended ranges (50-60 yards) but just keep this in mind, if this was a grizzly would you take the shot (because you could get eaten)? If the answer is NO, you have no business shooting at whatever animal. If it's YES and you feel that confident in your ability then I say you're going to make that shot so do it. Just my two bits. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:I think we each have a personal effective range.
Good Advice. I "stretched" my comfortable range with the 380 to 50 yards this season, based to a large degree what KegBelly is suggesting. That bow is Faster than any I've used before, Pinpoint Accurate at that distance and well beyond. Never did have a shot this season that far away, but would have been comfortable taking it on a RELAXED & Unaware critter. The Blacktail I did shoot at 44 yards never knew he wasn't at 20 :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

IronNoggin wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I think we each have a personal effective range.
Good Advice. I "stretched" my comfortable range with the 380 to 50 yards this season, based to a large degree what KegBelly is suggesting. That bow is Faster than any I've used before, Pinpoint Accurate at that distance and well beyond. Never did have a shot this season that far away, but would have been comfortable taking it on a RELAXED & Unaware critter. The Blacktail I did shoot at 44 yards never knew he wasn't at 20 :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Mmmm...those little island blacktails are sure delicious. Sorry, O/T
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:Mmmm...those little island blacktails are sure delicious. Sorry, O/T
LOL! This one (and last season's below) weren't actually all that "small" :lol:

But I do have to admit, there were indeed Downright TASTY! :wink:

Sorry too for the O/T, Will come back with a little more on the 380 tomorrow - dinner is ready, and The Missuz is Hungry apparently...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Big John

Post by Big John »

I do not preach distance to anyone when hunting. All practice at certain ranges consistently. I practice 50 yds. very consistently! I have taken many Deer that far. I will take many more at that range as well. I feel comfortable at that range. Even more so closer. But almost always with an Exomax or Enox or faster you will get a pass-thru at 50 yds still. With a 405 not a question even. I all say is, make SURE you can. Good arrows, good bow, good practice, makes good shots, even far shots. To each his own. But be real! If in doubt, don't shoot!!!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
bdog

Post by bdog »

As long as the animal, what ever kind it is, don't "KNOW" its coming, and you're "CONFIDENT" of your shot placement, go for your harvest....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com