New limbs for Phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stonecold

New limbs for Phoenix

Post by stonecold »

I have a Phoenix that I used for Field Archery here in the UK, however it rips right through the vast majority of target bosses on most field courses - is it possible to buy Lowe poundage limbs to for the Phoenix ? Something around 125lb would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
taz3

Re: New limbs for Phoenix

Post by taz3 »

Unfortunately not, all of the limbs are the same rating, you would have to look at other ways of slowing your Phoenix down.

I spent some time optimizing my Phoenix to shoot over 300fps so depending on your string, brace height and bolt weight you maybe able to reduce it. A lighter bolt, while faster, will not have the same kinetic energy to pass through a target. String silencers will also help slow it a tad and make it a touch quieter too.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
bdog

Post by bdog »

swap out your rail for a Vixen or cut the rail on your bow shorter, a few members have done theirs that way
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

wow.....like cars and boats, it is not often that you hear that someone thinks that their bow is too fast.....

But in this case it makes perfect sense.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

bdog wrote:swap out your rail for a Vixen or cut the rail on your bow shorter, a few members have done theirs that way
A second rail would be a great idea, then you would have 2 Xbows essentially.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I know "Usta" died, but there 'usta' be lighter limbs available. :mrgreen: Don't know about them in the Uk, but if you give Danny Miller a call, he'll have your answer.......740 483-2312........
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Usin a Dacron string will slow yer Excal down, findin a set of Carved tip limbs will also take the steam out of it! Should lose at least 25fps maybe as much as 40fps doin both of the things i put in this post.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
stonecold

Post by stonecold »

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure about cutting a perfectly good crossbow lol

Are the Vixen rails expensive ?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Depends on who has one fer sale, $70-$100 of the tall rail models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Just a suggestion,but my thoughts on installing new,or modified limbs is the wrong way to go!
You want to learn what your bow will do with the factory limbs,so that anytime you are in any type of competition, you can shoot exactly the same.
For a long life target,use a Tvek bag filled with small pieces of leather,packed as tightly as you can get.
It is easy to replace the outer bag as this concept will last you a lifetime.
(bags are available at most farm feed stores)
I have used one of these types of targets for years,and have yet to replace the outer bag.
I got my pieces of leather from a furniture upholstery store.
Enjoy!
Bob Vandrish.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

stonecold wrote:I have a Phoenix that I used for Field Archery here in the UK, however it rips right through the vast majority of target bosses on most field courses - is it possible to buy Lowe poundage limbs to for the Phoenix ? Something around 125lb would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Sent pm
stonecold

Post by stonecold »

Bob - I'm limited to 300fps by the association I shoot in - all the targets on my club course are fairly soft and only around 20% of them stop the Phoenix, I ta not a case of not wanting to shoot the Phoenix as it comes but a limitation based on where I shoot - I have targets at home that stop it just fine
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I bought and have a Exocet 200 rail in the machine shop as we speak. Getting 3 1/2 inch machined off it. It will likely be around 110lbs with a forward riser and 90 with a strait riser. Just two bolts will change out the head and two small bolts on the stock. Rail will have its own trigger and scope.