Leupold scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

skynyrd

Leupold scopes

Post by skynyrd »

I am really wanting a Leupold scope for my 355 and I cant decide which one would be best. I have been looking hard at the crossbones. I know a lot of you guys use Leupold shotgun scopes. I am wondering how you use them for different yardage? and did you choose to get them for the price difference since the crossbones cost is more? Or is there another reason that they are a better choice? Also which one do you think is best for crossbows? And why? Thanks for any help.
flightattendant100

Re: Leupold scopes

Post by flightattendant100 »

Love my Leupolds! I have a Crossbones because I found a great deal on ebay. Other than that I have a Leupold 1-4x with the Turkey reticle and have had 2-7x with the heavy duplex. With the standard reticles you sight in the main crosshair at 20 yrds. and set the power to somewhere around 3-4x and use the intersection of the fine crosshair and the heavier duplex for ~10yrds and ~30 yrds. You can play with power setting to fine tune. Works great. You will love the bright clear optics and the never screw up quality of the Leupold scopes. jmho
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader NWTF edition scope with a turkey plex reticle in dark earth finish on my Matrix 355. I wanted a non-ballistic single crosshair reticle. I sighted in the center crosshair at 25 yards, so I can shoot 0 - 30 yards and still land an arrow in the kill zone on a double lung broadside deer. I have my scope set on 4x. The turkey plex reticle has a small circle over the duplex reticle and can be used for various ranges.

I selected mine because I feel ballistic crossbow reticles are too busy and not really required for my maximum 30 yard limit. The Leupold Crossbones would be my choice if I wanted a speed ring and ballistic crossbow reticle.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

All you Leopold guys out there , Is there anything wrong with the Rifleman scope with the ballistic aiming system ? They sell for $179 about $100-$120 less than the crossbones. I would like to know.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

LongCarbine wrote:All you Leopold guys out there , Is there anything wrong with the Rifleman scope with the ballistic aiming system ? They sell for $179 about $100-$120 less than the crossbones. I would like to know.
Which ballistic reticle are you referring too?

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Hawkeyemd

Post by Hawkeyemd »

Skynyard, Call Danny Miller. He has the best price on the Crossbones that I could find ! Hawkeyemd
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

yooper_man wrote:Which ballistic reticle are you referring too?
It's a 3x9 with a heavy duplex with 2 mill dots .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I have a crossbones on my 380 and a Rifleman 2x7x33 in the box and a VX-3 13/4 x6 ( Short model ) on a rifle , Honestly I dont see much difference in optical quality in the 3 scopes . All seem clear and sharp ! To me if I wanted a scope with just a Duplex reticle I would buy the rifleman 2x7x33 , At midsouth their only 185.00 . If I wanted a crossbow specific scope I would go with the crossbones . Just my opinion !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Quality of glass goes bottom to top: rifleman, vx1, vx2' crossbones has vx2 glass, vxr, vx3, ......

If you can afford, CrossBones will be last scope you need for xbow.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

LongCarbine wrote:
I believe you're talking about the LR duplex reticle.Image

The aiming points are too close together on the LR Duplex reticle for any real use on a crossbow. The Leupold Crossbones scope features the correct crossbow ballistic reticle.Image

Leupold quote: "The LR Duplex will assist you with accurate, repeatable, and ethical long-range shooting. It features a Duplex central aiming point for rifles zeroed at 200 yards, and calibrated hold points for 300, 400 and 500 yards."

Andrew

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use the Leupold turkey plex reticle for fast target acquisition.Image

Andrew

LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

yooper_man wrote:
LongCarbine wrote:
I believe you're talking about the LR duplex reticle.Image

The aiming points are too close together on the LR Duplex reticle for any real use on a crossbow. The Leupold Crossbones scope features the correct crossbow ballistic reticle.Image

Leupold quote: "The LR Duplex will assist you with accurate, repeatable, and ethical long-range shooting. It features a Duplex central aiming point for rifles zeroed at 200 yards, and calibrated hold points for 300, 400 and 500 yards."

Andrew
Thanks for the answer . The reason I thought it might be ok for crossbows is the LR only has 2 aiming points and the crossbones has 3 points in the same spacing so I thought if any thing they would be too far apart. Thanks for setting me straight.
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

LongCarbine wrote:
Thanks for the answer . The reason I thought it might be ok for crossbows is the LR only has 2 aiming points and the crossbones has 3 points in the same spacing so I thought if any thing they would be too far apart. Thanks for setting me straight.
Jim
I am glad I could help. Reticle images are misleading since some are magnified for ease of viewing and don't depict the real size.

Andrew

skynyrd

Post by skynyrd »

Thanks for the replies I ended up going with the crossbones, hope it is the right choice. Should have it by Friday! New tact zone on ebay cheap if anyone's interested.