Got my chronograph today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Got my chronograph today

Post by Boo »

I'd like to say a few things. This is not directed at anyone in particular, neither is this just about this thread, so please bear with me getting something off my chest. I mean no disrespect or harm.
When IBO on a $1,000.00+++ compound bow from a big bow company is stated it is done so at the fullest draw, highest production poundage, no serving, no peep, nothing.
After you buy the compound you have to add another several hundred to well over a thousand dollars for sights, release, stabilizer, arm guard, rest, wrist strap etc.
Once purchased that bow doesn't come close because it now has a peep, serving, D loop, hunting weight arrows etc.
Now that bow has to be tuned. Paper/bare shaft and walk back tuned. Maybe different shafts have to be bought. Maybe different weight broadheads bought because the bow just can't be shot accurately.
The following year, they improve or discontinue the bows.
It is so easy to sit on an arm chair and tell the world how it should be isn't it? It's one thing to say how it would be perfect for me if it came a different way but it's a completely different thing for an individual criticize a company for not making it the way they want. There's not one bow company other than Excalibur that offers bows in a combination of different models along with the ability to make the bow suit 99% of needs out there (different strings, a wider variance of arrow weights useable, brace heights, different nocks, interchangeable stocks, etc). Not one manufacturer offers the durability that Ecalibur does.
My apologies for venting please don't beat me up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Were not discussin some other compound bow. So the disertation you posted has no bearin on the thread subject! Most of us are not arm chair directors but have plenty of experience. Not bashin Excal but thisbein 2nd yr out fer this model & its still not hittin 380 or fer most 375. Jus needs someone to getstid the act together fer.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

I was looking into this issue yesterday and I think I found a way to solve the problem. SHOOT THE CHRONY
problem solved 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

strum wrote:I was looking into this issue yesterday and I think I found a way to solve the problem. SHOOT THE CHRONY
problem solved 8)
:lol: :lol: Best answer yet!

Folks I sure didn't mean to start any arguments here :oops:
For the record, I LOVE MY 380!
For the record, I'M KEEPING IT!
:D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Folks I sure didn't mean to start any arguments here.
For the record, I LOVE MY 380!
For the record, I'M KEEPING IT!
:D
We all are very passionate around here.
You didn't start any thing that hasn't happened before!
Family seems to discuss things here all the time.

Speaking your mind around here is normal............no offence taken here! !!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

vixenmaster wrote:Were not discussin some other compound bow. So the disertation you posted has no bearin on the thread subject! Most of us are not arm chair directors but have plenty of experience. Not bashin Excal but thisbein 2nd yr out fer this model & its still not hittin 380 or fer most 375. Jus needs someone to getstid the act together fer.
Well why don't you getstid together and build a better one!!!!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Ont_Excal wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Were not discussin some other compound bow. So the disertation you posted has no bearin on the thread subject! Most of us are not arm chair directors but have plenty of experience. Not bashin Excal but thisbein 2nd yr out fer this model & its still not hittin 380 or fer most 375. Jus needs someone to getstid the act together fer.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Boo no apoligies needed :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I certainly didn't mean offend anyone either ! Very sorry if I did .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Pinesap

Post by Pinesap »

Well I like my new M380 and I'm sure not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon. I think they are the best bow I never understood why compound mf used the ibo speed that no one would ever see. I guess ill never understand why gasoline is sold in tenths of a cent either. LOL..
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ont_Excal wrote:
Why don't we let Excal get it right, i don't build crossbows.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

What's next.....are we going to complain about cars and trunks not getting the advertised miles per gallons. :mrgreen:

It's the world we live in...you'd think we'd be used to it by now.

The only Utopia I know is in Ontario Canada, and it's just south of a swamp. :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well said Don.

I know exactly how that goes.

Compounds IBO is generally measured at 70 lb draw weight, 30" draw length and a 350 gr arrow. Unless it's a youth or woman's bow that doesn't adjust up to 30" than they may measure with that bows max draw length.

Anywho...

My bows IBO is 330 fps but do you think I will ever personally see 330 fps? Nope. As Don mentioned compound bows rarely ever shoot their IBO rating especially with a hunting setup.

I personally get 280 fps out of my bow with a 433 gr arrow at 30" draw pulling 62 lbs. I could get around 300 fps if I dropped to a say 360 gr arrow. Do I complain? Nope. It's the norm. 280 fps is still well above what most people I know or have read get from their compound bow setups. Still plenty fast enough to take down anything I want to shoot in North America.

Now, no offense to anyone here but most of the crossbow related threads I have ever read most of them have been about people concerned with speed all the time. Personally if I ever bought another crossbow again, which I likely will someday would be another Phoenix or whatever is equivalent to it at the time. Why bother with so much speed? 260-300 fps is plenty enough.

Lots of people think a faster bow will increase their effective hunting range. Yes the arrow may drop less and makes guessing yardage not such a hard task. BUT! How many people can accurately shoot past 50 yards with a compound bow, or free hand with a crossbow. I don't know too many but I do know lots of people who shoot too far at animals because they think their bow will let them. Even rifles. We have had many guys in the past in our camp who think they can shoot at a deer 200 yards or further with a .30-06 with the mind set that their bullet may only drop a few inches but really at that distance almost the whole deer is covered up by their front sight bead. How accurate is that shot going to be? I've seen way too many deer wounded by that kind of stupidity and have personally tracked those wounded animals for miles to make the kill shot myself.

I'm kind of just rambling on now so I'll shut up but it really bothers me how much people are so concerned about speed these days. Fred Bear killed everything you can think of with a recurve bow so why do we really need 400 fps bows?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I did some chrono tests today. Shooting my M380 with a boo string, BEE arrows weighing 397-398gr through my pro chrono digital chronograph.
Standing exactly 2' away from the chrono I consistently shot 364-366fps. This is identical to what I was checked at a couple weeks ago at a 3D indoor shoot.
I also put a 100gr point in a Diablo bolt that came with the bow for 350gr total weight and was shooting 381fps.
Interesting thing I found, if I stood too close to the chrono my speed changed to 352-353fps. That was holding the front of the bow about a foot away from the chrono. Kegbelly, I would try playing with your distance from the chrono just to see if you get any different results. You never know. :wink:
ps. I love the high speed regardless of what some opinions may be. It has nothing to do with NEED! If it was everyone would be shooting a Vixen.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Looks like fun there Kegbelly. I,m trying to focus on the chrony but that bare lawn is dizzying.
Last edited by Waif on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
TYE

Post by TYE »

LOL if you can watch an arrow hit the target than maybe that's too slow. .. :lol: