SOMEWHAT DISSAPPOINTED

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JUSTANUFF

SOMEWHAT DISSAPPOINTED

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Well,,,took my Vixen to my buddys archery shop today to do some more shootin on my first Excal put together by Danny Miller about a year ago,,,not for me,,but for one of the members here,,,which is how I came to aquire it,,,hell,,,it's next to new,,,and since it's my first Excal,,,did not want to spend a lot,,,anyway,,it is accurate for sure out to 25 yards,,with arrows weighing in at between 410-416,,,,chron-owed out at 260,,,below my expectations,,,tried an arrow that weighed in at 375,,,jumped to 270,,,,so at this junction I am looking to suggestions on how I could somewhat improve the performance on this rig to get into the 280's OR BETTER,, and still maintain some respectable K.E.,,, without spending a whole lot of money,,,otherwise you will see it on the trading post,,,I appreciate your help guys,,and gals,,,BTW,,if it is important to know,,it has 200 lb Exomag limbs on her!! :
Last edited by JUSTANUFF on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
wheelie

Re: SOMEWHAT DISSAPPOINTED

Post by wheelie »

To little information about the bow. Carved tip limbs or mag tip? What string you running? Strait riser or cast or machined flat riser? :)
strum

Post by strum »

I guess im not seeing you problem here..Vixens are not know for speed but they are desirable because they are sweet shooters..
if you after something more then it may be best you sell it and move up in Lbs..
Oh its a slippery slope from here my friend...you could slide all the way to 405street
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
munch

Post by munch »

the 200lb limbs mean nothing its the draw length is much shorter so you wont get the speed .you could stick a longer rail on it
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

260 fps will kill deer as dead as any thing else . the deer in my profile pic was killed with a 428 gain arrow at around 255 -260 fps .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wheelie wrote:To little information about the bow. Carved tip limbs or mag tip? What string you running? Strait riser or cast or machined flat riser? :)
Wheelie is right. We need more info. Is this the bow that has a Phoenix rail and cast riser to make it a 150 lb. bow ? What kind of string do you have now? There are several things that may can be done but we need to know more before anything is suggested.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

To answer some of the questions,,its a Vixen Stock mounted to a 14" Axiom rail with a cast riser,,,I'm supposing its a 150lb pull???
Last edited by JUSTANUFF on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

oh,,,fergot,,,Mag limb tips,,,not sure bout the string,,I know its not a flemish
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

JUSTANUFF wrote:oh,,,fergot,,,Mag limb tips,,,not sure bout the string,,I know its not a flemish
a forward swept riser would bring that back to 175# draw . should meet or surpass your goal of 280fps with a hunting weight arrow .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

JUSTANUFF wrote:To answer some of the questions,,its a Vixen Stock mounted to a 14" Axiom rail with a cast riser,,,I'm supposing its a 150lb pull???
I had a set of shims made. Wedges we can call them. They went on the riser and turns a strait riser into a forward riser. Limbs still stay in the limb pockets. It picks up strait risers by 12 to 14 FPS. Best yet is talk to Boo Custom Strings. He can build you a string that could pickup speed on your bow. You could go to a 350 grain arrow and pickup another 10FPS. Options are endless and with some though and not to difficult you could pickup even more speed than you were mentioning.

About 30 to 35 FPS right there. :D
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Hey thanks guysI SURE HOPE THERE ARE MORE suggestions to come,,,,,and just to point out again this bow is fitted with a CAST RISER,,,anyway,,,I kinda like being different and runnin with the different crowd when it comes to stuff like this,,it's fun,,,so I am hoping to keep the faith on this rig and bring it around :D so,,,PLEASE KEEP THOSE SUGESTIONS COMIN,,,my buddys archery shop over here designs and manufactures FORGE bows and also Ten Point,,,they know there stuff and are very helpful,,,but they did kinda :roll: @ me when I walked in with my rig today,,and elaborated on the negatives they thought are associated with the Excals
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
strum

Post by strum »

JUSTANUFF wrote:Hey thanks guysI SURE HOPE THERE ARE MORE suggestions to come,,,,,and just to point out again this bow is fitted with a CAST RISER,,,anyway,,,I kinda like being different and runnin with the different crowd when it comes to stuff like this,,it's fun,,,so I am hoping to keep the faith on this rig and bring it around :D so,,,PLEASE KEEP THOSE SUGESTIONS COMIN,,,my buddys archery shop over here designs and manufactures FORGE bows and also Ten Point,,,they know there stuff and are very helpful,,,but they did kinda :roll: @ me when I walked in with my rig today,,and elaborated on the negatives they thought are associated with the Excals
pm me your address and ill send you a string that will give you some speed
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My shims are currently sitting on a Exomag rail with a cast riser shooting 320.9
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I'ma liken what you guys are sayin,,,I do not want to give anyone the impression I am a speed demon,,,I just want a little more cuz I know with all the reading I have done on this forum while I have been recovering from my back surgery has indicated the possibilities that I may have to undertake to get my rig more to my liking,,,this forum has been very informative and humerous,,,good buch of people here,,,,plus I kinda like hot-rodin some to get some more giddy-up :D
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I'ma liken what you guys are sayin,,,I do not want to give anyone the impression I am a speed demon,,,I just want a little more cuz I know with all the reading I have done on this forum while I have been recovering from my back surgery has indicated the possibilities that I may have to undertake to get my rig more to my liking,,,this forum has been very informative and humerous,,,good buch of people here,,,,plus I kinda like hot-rodin some to get some more giddy-up :D
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string