Axiom vs New matrix 330

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

Axiom vs New matrix 330

Post by bobcattrapper »

I've only been hunting with my Axiom for one season since I bought it new.I got 2 deer with it.Now I put a Nixon XR bolt on it,S5 bumpers and a flemish string for next season.I like it very much!I see lots of bows for sale now.I'm keeping mine.But what I'd like to know with this crossbow stuff if its a good idea to have a spare backup incase something breaks :shock: Yes I know Excalibur will fix it and stuff but maybe its hunting season and its your only crossbow. :( So do most of you have a spare just incase? I have extra rifles for hunting.I been thinking about a 330 but then do I really need it? Reading these threads lately looks like everyone does :mrgreen: Or when the New wears off maybe not so much..Maybe if its not broke don't fix it? And as my title says I don't think a deer or similar size animal will notice much difference after its hit good.So whats the scoop? Thanks for your input.
vixenmaster

Re: Axiom vs New matrix 330

Post by vixenmaster »

Chances are if'en you getstid a 330 you will end up sellin the Axiom. Jus a more compact model thats faster more handy easy to hold
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Well "needs" are all relative. In truth it isn't the need , but rather the "want" that most of us "need" to satisfy. :wink:

At one time or another, I've owned almost every standard stock, aluminium rail model that Excalibur made. I even briefly had a Vortex, but sold it, due to the short LOP of the thumbhole stocks of the past. With the Matrix line, that problem has been solved.

Currently, I own four Excaliburs, two of which have the older straight riser, they are smooth and fun to shoot. Of the other two one is an Exomax, and I just recently acquired a Matrix 405.

Having said that, the truth is that in over 24 years that I've owned Excaliburs, none have failed me. When I go hunting, I don't bother bringing a "back-up".

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I just wanted to explain. :wink:

Now to answer your question, do you need another Excalibur as a back-up...NO. Should you get one, if you can afford one, by all means. One can't have enough of them. :mrgreen:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Do you need a back up with an excal... :?: No :D
But it's a great excuse to buy another one!! :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A back-up string is about all you really "need". All ready broken in and stored in a baggie. Set it to your brace ht. and bow will still be sighted in, and ready to hunt. Excal makes it pretty easy.
munch

Post by munch »

ive owned a lot of excaliburs over the years always more than one and the only time i ever think of a backup is when i moose hunt and thats only because its a 27hour drive home to get another if i where to screw up and drop mine out of a tree or run over it,none have ever broke ,i did have an issue with a varizone scope 12 years ago and peter from excal fixed me up in a mater of hours threw a dealer but because it failed i have learned to just throw a set of open sites in my kit bag before i leave as a double backup and a couple strings and allen keys.
i think in all the times ive ever hunted the only issue in the woods has been a string blow of my pse dreamseason while wrestling threw some raspberry cane
not sure how many realize but on the older bows i would pop the cap off the pistol grip of the stock and store a spare string inside just in case
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Well, I only have 2 Excaliburs :lol: but I've decided I'm keeping my old exomag even though the 380 will get the call when we head to the woods.
I want a backup in case I need it. We don't have much for Excal dealers around here, and I'm a long way from Canada :lol: Ya never know when you might drop it from a treestand or something :oops:
I also want to get my future son-in-law into bow hunting, so he'll have something to shoot and practice with.
Plus I'm just attached to her, me and ol Maggie have put in a lot of time and miles together and she's never let me down, so she stays. :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst :) I always have more than one bow around. Chances are you won't ever need a backup with the axiom but its always fun buying a new bow so I vote yes :)
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Thanks for the feedback fellas! Still thinking about getting a 330 matrix just in case :mrgreen: I have extra strings and stuff for my Axiom.I have lots of 20" firebolts .Probably need some 18" bolts for the 330.I know I can use 20" but I don't think I would like that extra 2" sticking past my riser.Get the Danny Miller bumpers and another nikon scope and be all set! 8) Oh yea gotta buy that tranturla case too. :roll:
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

Do it, you won't regret it :)
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
TYE

Post by TYE »

I had a Phoenix when I shot crossbows. Which I believe is similar to the Axiom. I also had a Vixen as a "back up" and for fun bow.

So if I was you I would keep the Axiom as your main bow if you like it. Especially after tricking it out. Just get a Vixen as a so called back up bow. It's fun to shoot in the off season and is way cheaper and will still do the job when called upon. That way you will still be happy with your Axiom instead of tossing it to the side for something "bigger and better".
the elf

Post by the elf »

The only problem with having more than one-----BACKUP---- is
to decide which one to take with you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

the elf wrote:The only problem with having more than one-----BACKUP---- is
to decide which one to take with you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very true, jus have to flip a coin every mornin! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have had 6, kept three...only ACCURATE bows and guns are interesting. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bowman81

Post by bowman81 »

I bought a Matrix 355 to go with my Axiom. Love them both. I drive 8-12 hrs. to hunt and I just feel better having a second bow on hand.