Keeping your toys sharp

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Keeping your toys sharp

Post by Pydpiper »

Went on a quest to get a good knife sharpener, everything I read led me to a Worksharp tool. After days of Googling every review and video One popped up on Kijiji.
It was a long ways from my house, but I made the trip on Sunday to pick it up. Ironically, after chatting with the seller for a few minutes it turned out to be a member here, small world.
It took me about 8 hours of continuous use to get it under control. But now, I can get the nicest edges on knives I have fought with for years. It is frustrating to have a nice knife collection but not be able to get an edge on any of them, a decent edge. I have never had the patience or skill to use stones.
During my trials I found it also works awesome on broadheads, I have never seen them so sharp!
If anyone is looking for a great way to repair or sharpen anything with an edge, this is definitely the right tool.
I did my axes, hunting knives, spam knives and a couple of packable shovels.
Again, big learning curve, but the edge I am getting on my knives is insane! Finally.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
paulaboutform

Re: Keeping your toys sharp

Post by paulaboutform »

That looks awesome. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Yep. There is a Ken Onion version too, may be worth a look.
Lots of good information on this thing online.
Until yesterday, when I finally got it under control, I forgot what a sharp knife actually was.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Bird

Post by Bird »

I have had one for 3 years, liked it so much I bought a second one for my fish camp. Like you said, once you learn the do's and don'ts, it produces a razor sharp edge quickly. Pick up an extra pack of belts to get you over the learning curve and it will serve you well.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

The knife forums would flame you LOL I on the other hand say what ever works is perdect :D
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

What the price on them?
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

They run about 80 bucks. I learned about it, most of it on knifeforum.com.
The onion version is slightly more.
Just did all moms knives. Took a half hour to do 15 of them. The thing is portable too.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hey man, give me four and a half :)
Watch your fingers!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

enormous wrote:Hey man, give me four and a half :)
Watch your fingers!
Be nice.. I am a fragile spirit..
Funny thought. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Congrats on your find, I think. G5 Sportsmans Stick does me/mine fine.........You had to have seen it on your trip here?
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I'm sure I seen it. I like the carbide stuff for maintaining a blade, but this worksharp completely profiles the edge, kinda neat.
Problem is, once you apply a convex edge to a knife you can not use the typical carbide or any other straight sear to the blade.
I know it is sharper and than anything I have done, but as of yet I do not know how that style of edge will hold up during use. Reviews are great, but I don't have any hands on experience with edge durability.
I sure I will find out soon, and will pass on the data.
WMU 91
Boo string
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Pyd,
Can you elaborate on the learning curve a bit. I was looking at that thing yesterday on Youtube and thinking about getting one myself.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I got one too. And I love it!
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Bird

Post by Bird »

Check them out on Northern Tool ! 79 bucks plus lots of extras.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

UPSMAN wrote:Pyd,
Can you elaborate on the learning curve a bit. I was looking at that thing yesterday on Youtube and thinking about getting one myself.
Certainly.
The tool consists of multiple belts, varying in grit from 80 to about 2000 GPI. The 80 grit belts will eat a knife up in seconds, you can turn a big knife in to a small knife in just a few strokes.
It is very easy to whip the tip off of a knife, if you don't pay very close attention.
Learning curve is about holding the knife on the he right angle, at the right time and drawing it at the right speed.
Once you get the right feel, they all flow like water, and the edge will be like nothing you have seen before.
But, if you hesitate on that belt, it will make a mess of a blade. The 80 grit belt removes material faster than you can imagine.
As the blade starts to take care the contour of the belt you can progressively move down in grit, right to the supplied belt at about 2000 GPI.
Like any tool, it takes a not of practice, and a steady hand. I wouldn't suggest starting with your best custom knife, but when you get the feel for the tool, it will make you happy.
There is no such thing as a "plug and play" sharpener. But this is as close a you will get.
WMU 91
Boo string