ExoMag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MDHunter

ExoMag

Post by MDHunter »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

My father in-law gave me his old Excalibur crossbow.
All i can find as far as any model info is a nameplate on the side that says ExoMag.

He hasn't shot it for awhile and he recommended I change the string.
He gave me a replacement Excalibur string (unopened) and told me I should probably replace the old string since it hasn't been shot in awhile.
The string has been sitting in a closet for awhile. I'm assuming it should be safe to use...right??

A couple other questions I have are.....

It has a peep sight but i would like to install a scope.
Any suggestions on new scopes would be appreciated.

Another thing is, the quiver is not mounted to the bow. Can I still buy a quiver mount for this model?

Also...does anybody know where i could find the old specs on this bow?

Thanks in advance
racking up points

Re: ExoMag

Post by racking up points »

MDHunter wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

All i can find as far as any model info is a nameplate on the side that says ExoMag.

He gave me a replacement Excalibur string (unopened) and told me I should probably replace the old string since it hasn't been shot in awhile.
The string has been sitting in a closet for awhile. I'm assuming it should be safe to use...right??

Another thing is, the quiver is not mounted to the bow. Can I still buy a quiver mount for this model?

Thanks in advance
MDHunter wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

Thanks in advance
Congrats.

To install a scope you'll first need to remove the peep sight and buy a scope rail, ($20). Then you can mount a scope. Everyone has their preferences with scopes and this all depends on how you're going to use the bow and your budget.

A bow of that age, I can't say for certain, but I believe there should be two holes beneath the mainframe for a quiver bracket. I'd buy the bracket and quiver from Excalibur. If in the US contact Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery: 1 (740) 483-

Search the forum or the web for exomag specs until a seasoned vet can respond. I have never shot one and I'm a newb relative to some of the experienced excalibur shooters on the forum. Welcome
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I have a 2003 'mag, it has a straight machined riser and 200 lb draw, magtip limbs, rated at 330 fps, and it is a deer killer. Hang onto it if you can.

Changing to a new string is probably a good idea, it's cheap insurance. There's a few options, you can go with the original style endless loop Dacron string (it has serving on the loops that go around the limbs) or you can upgrade to a faster Excalibur Flemish string or get a custom string made for you by some members here. Google Boo strings :D

As for scope suggestions, there are tons of posts on scope recommendations. To name a few (in no particular order) Leupold Crossbones, Hawke XB30, Nikon Bolt, Excalibur's own line of scopes... the list is almost endless, it's personal preference and what the budget allows. you'll need a scope rail to mount a scope.

I can't answer the quiver question, never did put one on mine. Call Danny Miller at 740-483-2312. He's the US warranty guy for Excalibur, if anyone can answer your question about parts, he's the man.
And welcome to the forum!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
MDHunter

Post by MDHunter »

Thanks for the replies fellows.

I'll let u know what I come up with!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The older Exomags were carved tip limbs and must use a dacron string. I believe those are 185 lb. bows. The newer ones have mag tip limbs and can use a fast flight string, and are 200 lb bows. Either are very nice bows, and shoot great like all Excaliburs. Congrats on the bow and welcome.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your excal & welcome to the forum!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

flightattendant100 wrote:The older Exomags were carved tip limbs and must use a dacron string. I believe those are 185 lb. bows. The newer ones have mag tip limbs and can use a fast flight string, and are 200 lb bows. Either are very nice bows, and shoot great like all Excaliburs. Congrats on the bow and welcome.
Flightattendant is right, if your bow has carved tip limbs the Dacron string is the only choice, you can't use a Flemish fast flight string on them. I was thinking of the newer bows with magtip limbs.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Mr. Cellophane

Post by Mr. Cellophane »

I have an Exomag 200 lb straight riser my favorite deer bow. I just put a Guardian Anti Dry Fire scope mount on it. These ADF scope mounts are good
insurance against bow damage due to a dry fire. Dan miller has a good price on them $55.00. 740-483-2312
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

If you could post a pic, I could definitely give you the specs.

However, since you say that it has a nameplate, it can be assumed that it's a 200lbs model with Magtips, and not the 185lb carved-tipped models which didn't have plastic nameplates. Another feature of the 185lb model was its "Trailcover" Permagraphix camo, and its bronze coloured anodized rail and painted cast-riser.

If yours has a grey machined anodized riser with Magtips limbs, the specs would be as follows:
  • Draw Weight: 200lbs
    Power Stroke: 16.5"
    Mass Weight: 6.5lbs:
    Overall Length: 39.5
    Arrow Weight: 350 Grain Min.
    Finish "Hardwoods" or Deerhide Brown
    Dissipator Bars: Yes, but no if camo is Deerhide brown
If you'd like to purchase a quiver bracket/mount, here's a link to one on sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231175486698?ssP ... 1555.l2649

A scope that worked well with the Exomag was the Excalibur Lumizone, it has been discontinued, but if you look around they are still availble.

Here's a couple of pics of the Exomag in brown and camo.

Here's a pic of the older Exomag 185lbs, carved limbed model.

Hope that helps.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
MDHunter

Post by MDHunter »

Comfy Bear,

I looked and my bow has the mag tips but the machined riser is a copper anodized color.
Would the specs be the same?
What would the FPS rating be?
MDHunter

Post by MDHunter »

I just remembered....

My father in law dry fired this bow by accident once...

He sent it back to the factory and they put new limbs and a string on it....
Maybe they upgraded them?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

MDHunter wrote:Comfy Bear,

I looked and my bow has the mag tips but the machined riser is a copper anodized color.
Would the specs be the same?
What would the FPS rating be?
That depends on the length of the power stroke/draw weight and type of string used.

The older Exomags had only a 16" power stroke and therefore they had a 185lb draw weight and using a dacron string, because of the carved limb-tips, had an estimated speed of 290FPS with a 350gr arrow.

The 200lb Exomag with a 16.5" power stroke having a 200lbs draw weight and using a fastflight flemish twist string, could reach speeds of 325FPS with a 350gr arrow.

Hope that helps.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.