Hammerhead and Spitfire issues!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowhunter1

Hammerhead and Spitfire issues!!!

Post by bowhunter1 »

Ok guys here i go again!! i just got a new pack of 100 gr hammerheads and a new pack of 100gr spitfire Maxx to try .. my field points are hitting with-in a inch of bullseye at 20, 30, and 40. I am shooting Firebolts factory fletched, out of my Equinox with the flemish string. the above mentioned broadheads are hitting 2 - 3 inches low :shock: . i have wasted 2 of each so far during testing. and all testing was done at 30 yds. the hammerheads had 2 bands on them and the spitfires had 1, with a thin sheet of paper was placed approx 10" in front of the target to detect a open broadhead BEFORE impact... no premature deployments were noticed. :D
So now what?????!! What would cause these mechs. to hit 2-3 low, and damn this could get expensive! :x Do i just shoot all summer until its time to go hunting then sight my rigg in with the last 2 heads, buy more for the season and go on my way? Do you guys that shoot these heads have this same issue and deal with it like that?? :?
Normous

Re: Hammerhead and Spitfire issues!!!

Post by Normous »

Here is what I would do, pick one ( I like the Hammerhead) and use dental floss to wrap the blades shut real good, wrap a good 1/2 inch or more and use to practice without opening. Use this to determine your POI and adjust you scope accordingly. How bad is the broadhead damage during testing? you can probably use them to resight at a later date. I have a small shoebox of broadheads with dull, bent, taped, repaired hunting heads to test POI if I need to.

You are wise to determine your POI before hunting season with a particular broadhead. This is called pratice and knowing your equipment before using a live deer and suffering a loss. Well done BH1! I would rather cull a few broadheads than loose a deer anyday. I suggest buying another 3 pack and using same weight fieldpoints to practice.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would suggest some helical on your fletching , when I started using the Arizona Bolt jig I immediately saw more consistent groups with broadheads . JHO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

X2 on helical fletched vanes. I take one BH of each type & tie or tape blades closed. I will shoot that same BH over n over, jus replace tape or bands, tied. Once i knowed exactly where it hits at 20-30 & 40 yds. I take it off & use field pts til a wek afore i go hunin. I then adjust my scope to put the BH's dead in the bulls eye. Ready on openin day brand newBH sittin on end of the arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shoot firebolts & 125gr spitfires. My spitfires shoot to poi of my field tips out of all three of my bows. I refletched my firebolts with 2" blazer vanes with a 4 degree right offset. Might be time to learn how to fletch!! :D :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

I am glad I asked this question,the answer was right there but do to lack of experience i was not sure on how to solve the problem :roll: . Thank you guys for the great advise, I too like the BIG cut of the Hammerhead and now i know how to put that monster right where it belongs, dead nutz in the boiler room :twisted: . And yes to fletch my own arrows will even add a greater personal accomplishment when i gain the pin point accuracy I desire 8)
Thank you guys again for the help. I will keep you posted on how this works out :wink:
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

And now for another question i am going to try a different helical on my arrows, what type of adhesive do you guys use :?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use Bohning Platimum Fletchtite. I jus clean my shafts real good
Half Bubble Off BD360

bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Real fine grit sand paper and rubbing alcohol to clean them :?: after striping the factory fletching off. Is that how you clean yours vixenmaster
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I just clean the shafts and bottom of the vanes with a clean rag dipped in acetone , no problems at all .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

More good info............ I cant thank you guys enough, i will NEVER hit the hunting woods with my rig shooting OK :roll: . It HAS TO BE dead nutz and with all the information you guys have given me i am more than sure I will be drilling the bulls eye with Hammerheads and spitfires in no time :wink:
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Bowhunter1, I f your shooting 100 or 125 gr. Heads , you should be using a brass insert in the front to increase FOC . I don't know what the firebolts come with , never shot them .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I prep both alum. & carbon shaftsthe same way. I scrub wid scotchbrite & ajax & water. Then i rinse them in boilin water let them dry. Some ppl. rub bottom of vanes wid acetone or denatured alcohol. You can try several diff ways & stay wid the one that works fer you.
Half Bubble Off BD360

The Chief

Post by The Chief »

OR you could just use Rage broadheads which come with their own practice heads and have no worries. The will not open before impact. I will attest to 7 years of using them and never once had one open before impact. Now the new improved crossbow heads come with a little sleeve which now makes it almost impossible to open before impact.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I have been shooting regular spitfires for years and most recently the spitfire maxx both in 100 grain and both have practice heads, which I think is the same practice head
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife