It was simply magical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

It was simply magical

Post by UPSMAN »

Well, try and try as I might, I just couldn't get my usual shooter out of bed. She was just too tired and sleepy. So I did the only thing I could do. I put the entire burden on my own shoulders. Seeing as I put the boy to bed the previous evening, I knew exactly where to go. The bird was roosted about 200 yds OMP (other man's property.) I set up as close to him as possible and waited for a sign. At 7:05 I got it. A hen started with a light yelp,and then another hen responded back. The gobbler sounded off and I decided that I should let them know they weren't alone. So I yelped a few times then cut hard several times. This is where the magic starts. Unbeknownst to me,I hear multiple gobbles less than 125 yds away. I'm telling myself,"you roosted a bird last night and didn't see or hear another gobbler around".I yelped a few more times and sure enough,I had my roosted bird and another bird responding. I could quickly tell that my roosted bird was on the ground. He was gathering his harem and headed in my direction for breakfast. I would occasionally yelp just to get a location. Sure enough, they were slowly headed in my direction. Meanwhile, the other gobblers had gone quiet. After what seemed like forever, I could hear the hens clucking their way closer. I couldn't see them for the tall bull grass that separated us. I'm guessing they were about 80 or 90 yds out. I turn and try to get situated before their arrival. As I'm anxiously waiting,in from my left,what do I see. I'll be damn, it's 3 ostriches with (tarzan size) vines sprouting from their chest. My first thought is, my wife is going to be pissed she missed this. My second thought was, my buddy Paul should be behind the trigger for this carnage. You just don't get to see 3 adult Osceola gobblers standing shoulder to shoulder very often. Try as I might, I couldn't see ole triple beard in the bunch. Now I'm starting the guessing game. Do I wait and hope the triple strolls over the same hill momentarily,or do I pick out the dominant strutter and hope the load of heavy shot is enough to bring down an 8 ft ostrich. :wink: :wink: My mind was already made up. Like my previous days guest told me,a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. At the moment,my really big issue is waiting until they spread out enough to shoot the one that I want. In Florida, the daily limit is only 1 bird with a 2 bird season limit. That law is changing next year but that's not doing me any good now. Upon seeing my previously shot-up avian hen along with matching jake,accompanied by my mechanical strutter,the 3 big boys all puffed up like the good year blimp. I normally don't get buck fever but I must admit that my heart was beating like crazy. Nothing like seeing 3 adult birds drumming and strutting and spitting at the same time. This is the reason that if forced to ever choose just one critter to hunt,my turkeys would win hands down over the biggest buck in the woods.As they all did circles trying to impress my hen they slowly separated. Now that they were far enough apart for a shot,all that remained to do was wait until my bird stuck his head up. I didn't have my mouth call in and I didn't dare take my hands off the gun,what's a guy to do. I'm not at all very good with a mouth call anyway but I sure was wishing it was in my mouth instead of buried deep in the bottom of my vest.All of a sudden I had an Epiphany. Hanging off my neck and bumping my trigger hand was the remote control for my mechanical strutter. With the flick of a thumb my big beast started to turn. Their reaction was as I had hoped. They all came out of strut to better view their opponent. That's all I needed, the Franchi I-12 barked one time. Game over.I sat there for 10 minutes replaying the entire ordeal in my mind. He wasn't the biggest bird I've ever put on the dirt but he was surely one of the best performers. I'm grateful to have had a ringside seat. Paul,my friend, you truly missed ONE HELL OF A SHOW today. I would be honored to see a performance half that good when I come to Texas.

2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
UPSMAN

Re: It was simply magical

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo, the last picture is for you. The "Robe" still has the magic. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Nice bird...CONGRATS!!! :D :D :D
If your like me you hunt for the memories, that one my friend will last a life time. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Twisted Mister

Post by Twisted Mister »

Congratulations on a great turkey.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I love it Dennis! Congratulations!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Stats were a 10 inch rope, 1 1/8 spurs and he weighed 21 lbs.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boy hidy one fine bird you gotstid, congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations on another successful hunt.
jamtarthunter

Post by jamtarthunter »

Congrats on your tom, he's a fine looking bird. Cheers :)
Jamtarthunter
Matrix 380 Xtra
Leupold Crossbones 2x7x33
Matrix 355 Xtra
Matrix 330 ( For The Mrs )
Exomax

Easton Diablo w Lumenok
Muzzy Crosskill
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Nice bird ,congrats.Love great hunting stories,thanks for sharing.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Dennis, NICE bird and congrats. It was a great story as well. Great weekend by any standards.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
strum

Post by strum »

OOOOHHH NICE!!!! Congrats Dennis ..that's what its all about ..man I am drooling here..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congrats! That's a great looking tom. Very impressive. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Nice one!!!! That's a big old tom!!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.