Question for string guru's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Question for string guru's

Post by Galgo »

Was going through the man cave yesterday and came across a stock excalibur endless loop string that came with my original X bow 9 years ago. Still in the little plastic baggie. I got to thinking if there is a shelf life for unused strings? I also have a couple FF strings and a custom string or two that I don't anticipate using for the next couple of years. Is there some amount of shelf life when a string may become unsafe or does it depend on the specific condition of the string?

Comments appreciated :D

F
vixenmaster

Re: Question for string guru's

Post by vixenmaster »

Not an expert on this ?. I spect like all things it does have a life span. Make sure you wax'em in case they be dry n try them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Generally the molecular properties of everything will change over time. How they change and the rate that they do so is incumbent with their molecular makeup and the surrounding environment and elements that they are exposed to.

When it comes to strings, it depends on the material that they are made from. Dacron will react differently than HMPE . UV rays will affect and weaken both materials, but at a different rate. Exposure to the air, heat, dust and dirt will also degrade both materials.

In conclusion, where your strings are stored will determine how long they'll last and if they are still useable. By closely examining your 9 yr old string and comparing it with a new one should help you determine if using it is still viable. By spanning your crossbow with it and observing how it reacts both immediately and over a few days should also help you determine its usefulness.

Hope that helps.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Twisted Mister

Post by Twisted Mister »

If it's dry like an old rope, pitch it. I asked Dan about this same thing. He said if it feels somewhat moist, put it on setting the brace a little high, if it gives it up over night, throw it away! Set it back 3/8", you'll know the next morning!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Twisted Mister wrote:If it's dry like an old rope, pitch it. I asked Dan about this same thing. He said if it feels somewhat moist, put it on setting the brace a little high, if it gives it up over night, throw it away! Set it back 3/8", you'll know the next morning!
Thanks, Dan.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Twisted Mister

Post by Twisted Mister »

You're welcome Yankee fan! :lol:
Galgo

Post by Galgo »