A Word of Warning - Beware

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: A Word of Warning - Beware

Post by Boo »

Kegbelly wrote:I've done the same thing with my 380 more than once by accident, forgetting to let off the safety is such an easy thing to do. Mine did not fire, thank goodness. My brother had something like that happen with a 7mm magnum rifle, he flipped the safety off to unload and the gun fired, and the bullet went thru his tailgate, the front of the bed, the back of the cab, and exited the rear door. He sent it back to the manufacturer, turned out to be a little piece of plastic shavings from the stock that had got lodged in the trigger group.
Comfy you need to send it back to excalibur and let them disassemble and inspect it, could be a faulty trigger or a piece of debris from the manufacturing process stuck in the trigger area. The fact that you were able to repeat it makes me think it's the trigger itself. That is not supposed to happen, it's downright scary.
I guess your brother learned something that day!
As well as our hunting tools (bows, rifles, handguns etc) are engineered it does not take much to have things go wrong! It's best we expect the unexpected.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
strum

Post by strum »

Thanks for the heads up Lou..
I think its an isolated problem you have and needs so to be sent back but still
its good to post these things to help raise awareness .
one more good reason to never ever unsafely point our weapons.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
stoneycreekhunter

Post by stoneycreekhunter »

Does this problem exist on the triggertech triggers? I have purchased one for my 380.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Thanks for the heads up. Applies to any trigger,if it don,t behave properly park it after safely uncocking till proper repair possible. Its the people element that led to some ridiculous triggers and pull on the market today that satisfy part of safety concerns but destroy accuracy.Proven on a recent rimfire purchase.
Good to hear of precaution of knowing where unit is pointed before taking it out of safety position. Well done.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I think Comfybear did the right thing but letting people know to be careful He could have just called Excalibur but he opted to posted a Warning for everyone to insure nobody gets hurt. Kudos to Lou for this thoughtful act!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Thanks Comfy for the heads up...you may have saved some one from getting hurt or worst.
If this can happen to one crossbow it could to another, Information is valuable and this is something we all should know about.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Refreshing to have someone come on here with a problem and not present it with a bad attitude. Thanks so much for bring it to our attention and doing it in a classy way. Thumbs up!
Boo

Post by Boo »

stoneycreekhunter wrote:Does this problem exist on the triggertech triggers? I have purchased one for my 380.
Nope, the way the "sears" are engineered with the safety off, if you pull on the trigger and let go the trigger resets itself or travels back to where it started. There is also no movement in the trigger once the safety is engaged.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

my 380 has a triger tec 2 stage and it dose NOT happen. not good
could be painfull in more ways than one.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Normally I'm a low-key type of individual, so I do not like to belabor an issue, only to make it worse. However when it comes to safety and awareness, I don't think one can over emphasize it.

I don't mean to sound pompous, when I say the following:

I've been around firearms (pellet gun) since the age of five. At that early age I was taught to be responsible and not treat it as a toy. Later in life, while applying for my hunting licence, being more analytical than most, I read and analyzed all the safety literature I could get my hands on.

In the 80's I got interested in handguns, joined a shooting club, took all the required safety courses and competed in PPC matches both in Ontario and in the state of Michigan and have several prizes to show for it. :wink:

Although I do no longer compete, I've maintained and I'm still a member of a shooting club, where I'm a trained and qualified safety range officer. It is this training which I attribute in part to having averted a different and undesirable outcome yesterday.

It is this training and regard for the safety of others that when yesterday's incident occurred I felt compelled to let the forum members know of the inherit and potential dangers one faces when dealing in this case with their Excalibur crossbow.

I don't mean to preach, but one can never be too safe.

In my opinion an accident can and will happen more readily when one is unaware of the possibility of it happening.

So in closing, be always on your guard.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

ComfyBear wrote:Normally I'm a low-key type of individual, so I do not like to belabor an issue, only to make it worse. However when it comes to safety and awareness, I don't think one can over emphasize it.

I don't mean to sound pompous, when I say the following:

I've been around firearms (pellet gun) since the age of five. At that early age I was taught to be responsible and not treat it as a toy. Later in life, while applying for my hunting licence, being more analytical than most, I read and analyzed all the safety literature I could get my hands on.

In the 80's I got interested in handguns, joined a shooting club, took all the required safety courses and competed in PPC matches both in Ontario and in the state of Michigan and have several prizes to show for it. :wink:

Although I do no longer compete, I've maintained and I'm still a member of a shooting club, where I'm a trained and qualified safety range officer. It is this training which I attribute in part to having averted a different and undesirable outcome yesterday.

It is this training and regard for the safety of others that when yesterday's incident occurred I felt compelled to let the forum members know of the inherit and potential dangers one faces when dealing in this case with their Excalibur crossbow.

I don't mean to preach, but one can never be too safe.

In my opinion an accident can and will happen more readily when one is unaware of the possibility of it happening.

So in closing, be always on your guard.
Lou, you don't have to defend or explain yourself!! Thanks for the heads up!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Big John

Post by Big John »

Very well said Lou! :!:
I was coming on to say more about your integrity and skill level in arms and Bows but you beat me to it. :wink:
Thanks for the Warning, and get it checked. :wink:

Big John

One day I hope to beat you, or come close enough to call it a draw at least in 3D.
But I think I'm still dreaming. :mrgreen:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Lou, you don't have to defend or explain yourself!! Thanks for the heads up!!
X2! I think you did exactly the right thing by telling people there may be a potential safety concern.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Lou, please call me and we will look after the issue. To put everybody's minds at ease, there is no chronic problem with the Matrix 405's trigger or any of our other models for that matter. This is an isolated case but as always we will take care of it. This is the first I have heard of a trigger issue with any Matrix 405.

As a reminder, if anybody ever has an issue with one of our products I would ask you call our customer service department ASAP before posting it here. I realise Lou was worried about this as a safety issue and understand the post. However, we have been extensively testing the 405 Matrix for over a year and we never had any trigger issues.

Thanks,

Peter
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Flawless customer service as usual. Thanks for the update Peter. :D