A Word of Warning - Beware

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: A Word of Warning - Beware

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks again comfybear for the heads up on the trigger concerns .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I remember some time ago, some members recommended taking the creep out of the trigger by pulling it with the safety on and members and I believe Excalibur also strongly recommended against it for this very reason.

F
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Just to let every one know. I have never had any doubts about how Excalibur handles customer service and, in my opinion, their products are second to none.

Personally, over the last 24 years, I have had good luck with all the previous Excaliburs I have owned, and I've owned quite a few.

Actually, in all that time, I've only had three very minor issues. One where the camo on limbs was flaking off, another where one of my limbs had a splinter, and finally the only mechanical issue I had, was with a Vortex I owned. It had a gritty trigger, which although annoying it wasn't really a safety issue.

In all three cases, I dealt with Excalibur directly and they remedied the issue very quickly and without any question.

That being said, I believe Peter when he states that Excalibur triggers do not have any issues. However, when dealing with any mechanical device, one should expect the unexpected and err on the side of caution.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. When using any firearm, ALWAYS point it in a safe direction, and make sure of your target and backstop. That is something I've always known and preached, and Saturday's incident just served to reaffirm the reason why.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

ComfyBear wrote: I asked him if he accidentally might have touched the trigger as he removed the safety, since I knew from the previous day that once the trigger was squeezed with the safety on, that the trigger pull became so light that it became a "hair trigger". He said, he didn't touch the trigger.
.[/color]

Interesting perspective Galgo
Sounds like a starting place to look for a possible contributing factor.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

X2 to Excalibur and Peter they are the best!!!!! :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I always pull my trigger with the safety on before I load an arrow. . .how else do you know if the safety is working? :? I figured, worse case would be a dry fire. Boy was I wrong.

Never a problem.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

All is well...The Beast is Back

Post by ComfyBear »

Well I'm back from the Excalibur Crossbow Hospital. After a brief (40 minute) visit my Matrix has been fix. Now it's not only as deadly accurate as ever, but it is also safe.

Fortunately, in good traffic, I'm just over an hour away from the Excalibur factory. When I got there Peter was waiting for me, and within 40 minutes my Matrix was fixed, and I was on my home. I can't praise him enough. He went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of.

Once again all is well in Dodge City. :wink:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Good to here Lou, as Peter had stated sounds like an isolated bow or event.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

What did they find ?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

onebigskittle wrote:What did they find ?
I have no clue.

From what Peter told me, I didn't get the impression that it is an issue which has occurred before.

I suppose for expediency, I was given another trigger unit. I assume that they will disassemble my old one and check it thoroughly. I trust what ever they find, it will help assure that the problem will not reoccur.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I am glad your all fixed up and no one got hurt.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

got a 405 myself and i hope to put minds at ease someone jumps on here and explains why it happened. the 405 trigger parts are treated different from what i have read. doubt thats the reason but hope they comment on the failure.ive had this issue with another brand xbow that is out of business and its a scarey thing.
strum

Post by strum »

foofoo wrote:got a 405 myself and i hope to put minds at ease someone jumps on here and explains why it happened. the 405 trigger parts are treated different from what i have read. doubt thats the reason but hope they comment on the failure.ive had this issue with another brand xbow that is out of business and its a scarey thing.
the 405 trigger is the same as the others

edit: I stand corrected after reading Bill T's post..
Last edited by strum on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Dash

Post by Dash »

Even though its an isolated incident, its good you found this out "early" and are getting it dealt with Comfy. Good reminder for the rest of us to do a check on our gear and don't take the safety for granted.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Hi Guys.
I can't comment with certainty on the issue with sear wear on Lou's 405, we are now testing triggers to determine exactly what is happening. I can, however, comment that the issue is only of concern if you have a new 405, as this batch of parts is only used in that model. If you have any other model Matrix from any other year, at ease, this issue doesn't involve your bow. Stay tuned and once we know the rest of the story we'll put up a notice regarding our findings..........Bill