A Word of Warning - Beware

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ComfyBear

A Word of Warning - Beware

Post by ComfyBear »

Just want to make the forum aware of a potential safety hazard that might occur with the higher poundage Matrix crossbows.

Earlier today, my son-in-law was over and I had him take a few shots, in my basement, with my Matrix 405. Well he took several shots and was doing good, hitting the bullseye or close to it . On one particular shot, he took aim and squeezed the trigger, but forgot to take off the safety. Well of course it didn't fire, however as soon as he removed the safety, the trigger released and the arrow was launched. :o :? :shock: :shock:

He was still pointed downrange towards the target, but he just missed the target bag, and the arrow broke in two, fortunately no one was hurt.

I asked him if he accidentally might have touched the trigger as he removed the safety, since I knew from the previous day that once the trigger was squeezed with the safety on, that the trigger pull became so light that it became a "hair trigger". He said, he didn't touch the trigger.

So I tried to see if it would happen again. I reloaded, aimed at the target, squeezed the trigger with the safety on, then removed the safety with a flick of my thumb, there was a fraction of a second pause and then the trigger released. :shock:

I repeated it again, always making sure the bow was on target. This time, I released the safety slowly, waited a few seconds, nothing happened. I reapplied the safety, squeezed the trigger, released the safety slowly, again it did not fire.
However as soon as I barely touched the trigger, it released. Not something one would anticipate.

So a word of caution: IF YOU HAPPEN TO SQUEEZE TRIGGER, WITH THE SAFETY STILL ON, BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE SAFETY MAKE SURE YOU'RE ON TARGET.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wabi

Re: A Word of Warning - Beware

Post by wabi »

I'd notify Excalibur about it!
Could be something they would want to take a look at.

How does the trigger pull on that bow compare to other Excaliburs?
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I agree...call excalibur.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

As Wabi said, contact Excal. I think the Wolverines had a similar issue.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

After careful review and consideration of the explanation given leading up to this Warning of a Potential Unsafe situation with the higher poundage Matrix Models I am withdrawing all of my previous comments.
Clearly a disturbing development however without being witness to all the shooting sessions prior it would only be a speculation on my part as to whether this is an isolated situation with this 405 resulting from a particular questionable shooting technique or has the potential to be more wide spread.
However I do agree it is safer to error on the side of caution until more is known.

What it does emphasis however is the need for without exception the adherence to the Rules of Safe Shooting.

I will however look forward to updates on the matter.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

:shock: FWIW, my stock 380 trigger doesn't do that and neither does my TT. Hopefully an isolated incident. Glad nobody was hurt.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I know that I have squeezed the trigger on my 380 with the safety on an did not have this happen to me. I wonder if its just your bow Lou?
Last edited by one shot scott on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

withdrawn
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I think the post was meant to warn people of the POTENTIAL dangers that might occur ! I don't think comfybear has any doubt excal will take care of him . Someone getting shot accidentally is a lot more important !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Glad to hear that everyone is safe. I'd make call to Excalibur and make them aware of the problem. Dangerous indeed.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

8ptbuk wrote:I think the post was meant to warn people of the POTENTIAL dangers that might occur ! I don't think comfybear has any doubt excal will take care of him . Someone getting shot accidentally is a lot more important !
X2! Thanks Comfybear for the heads up. The potential consequences couple have indeed been dire! I'll be checking my M380.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I used to do that with my Vortex all the time, every time. I would cock the bow, apply the safety, take out the slack in the trigger by squeezing it until it stopped. I would then load an arrow and when ready flick off the safety and shot the bow. I did not know I was playing with fire! Boo replied in a post how bad of a habit this was. I do not do this with my Matrix 355. Thank you for the post and the heads up! I am planning on getting a Triggertech trigger by the summer time.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Boo

Post by Boo »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:I used to do that with my Vortex all the time, every time. I would cock the bow, apply the safety, take out the slack in the trigger by squeezing it until it stopped. I would then load an arrow and when ready flick off the safety and shot the bow. I did not know I was playing with fire! Boo replied in a post how bad of a habit this was. I do not do this with my Matrix 355. Thank you for the post and the heads up! I am planning on getting a Triggertech trigger by the summer time.
Thank you for taking me seriously Robert!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

paulaboutform wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:I think the post was meant to warn people of the POTENTIAL dangers that might occur ! I don't think comfybear has any doubt excal will take care of him . Someone getting shot accidentally is a lot more important !
X2! Thanks Comfybear for the heads up. The potential consequences couple have indeed been dire! I'll be checking my M380.
The purpose of this post wasn't to "bitch and complain." I've owned many Excaliburs over 24 years, and I've rarely had any issues. The few times that I've had, they were minor, and I was well taken care of.

So, I have no doubt that Excalibur will resolve this issue and it was my intention to inform Excalibur first thing Monday morning. However I thought it imperative to warn forum members of the potential danger immediately, just in case my 405 isn't the only one affected.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've done the same thing with my 380 more than once by accident, forgetting to let off the safety is such an easy thing to do. Mine did not fire, thank goodness. My brother had something like that happen with a 7mm magnum rifle, he flipped the safety off to unload and the gun fired, and the bullet went thru his tailgate, the front of the bed, the back of the cab, and exited the rear door. He sent it back to the manufacturer, turned out to be a little piece of plastic shavings from the stock that had got lodged in the trigger group.
Comfy you need to send it back to excalibur and let them disassemble and inspect it, could be a faulty trigger or a piece of debris from the manufacturing process stuck in the trigger area. The fact that you were able to repeat it makes me think it's the trigger itself. That is not supposed to happen, it's downright scary.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers