To much arrow weight?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rkornrumpf

To much arrow weight?

Post by Rkornrumpf »

I recently purchased an Axiom which came with 20" Firebolts and 150 gr field tips. I had some unsed rage broadheads(125 gr) that I wanted to use so ive dialed it in with 125 grs. Using the 125 gr it gave me and FOC in the 9% area and then I added Lumenoks. I wanted to get the FOC closer to the 15-20% range so i changed out the aluminum inserts for 110gr brass inserts. The FOC is now in the 18% range and grouping is great, but the arrow weight is roughly 491 gr. In doing some reseach I notice that seems to be a bit higher than most. This is the first time i have ever tried messing with weight and FOC and am wondering if I went to heavy. I have no experience in this area and am just looking for opinions and input. Thanks.
Significent

Re: To much arrow weight?

Post by Significent »

Rkornrumpf, I'm not an authority on the subject, but here are my two cents after hanging around the forum for a while:

I don't believe there is such a thing as "too much arrow weight". In general, the heavier the arrow, the better the energy transference from the bow. Heavier arrows are also easier on the limbs and quieter because of less limb oscillation/vibration. The trade-off is arrow speed. Lighter arrows shoot faster and, consequently flatter. Flatter is better because errors in yardage estimates are less significant.

The question is: For what do you plan to use the bow? If you plan to only target shoot at know distances, go with the heavier arrow. On the other hand, if you hunt (it appears you do), hunters generally prefer more speed not only for the additional forgiveness in POI at fuzzy yardages but to preclude string jump. (Animal reacts to bow noise and moves before arrow arrives.) Many feel around 400 grains is about right for the trade off between weight and speed. Regarding FOC: it's only a number used to predict tighter groups. Every combination of bow and arrow is different. What matters is how well the arrows group, not the FOC percentage.

Did you try shooting the arrows before swapping out the front inserts? How did they group? If you have the resources and you plan to hunt with the bow, try progressively lighter inserts until you start to see your groups open up. Then bump up the weight to before where the groups started going south.

Edit: BTW, welcome to the forum!
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Some guys like heavier arrows in that range and I'd say if they are accurate, who cares what they weigh. Enter your arrow speed and weight into an online KE calculator and see what effect your changes have made, if for no other reason than to satisfy your curiosity. Regardless of the KE you produce, you've got enough to slice through any N. American game.

I prefer a happy medium. I like speed, but 350gr arrows wouldn't group as well as 400gr arrows, so that is what I shoot. I haven't tried arrow weights in between these, but I've heard that 375gr is a happy medium.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I am shooting 500 grs out of my 355 matrix and will not change. I only hunt with it and it is still over 300fps.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This stuff happens, change out components & wham yer arrow has gotten beefeater size :lol: Nutten to sweat over. I have shot hogs wid 328gr arrows out of my Vixen. I have shot deer n hogs wid 650gr arrows. Dead is dead. As been said light arrows are flatter trajectory. I spect if'en yer into 3D's flatter would be better, but huntin out to 30 yds its a moot pt on the heavier arrows.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big D

Post by Big D »

I think what you did is a smart choice. If you hit a deer a little forward in the shoulder you will be happy you used the heavy arrow with the higher FOC. I Shoot 550 grain arrows out of my equinox and 420 out of my 330. I Always go heavier out of my recurve vertical bows also.

Big D
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It's what your happy with, lite, heavy if it POI is where you want there you go, be happy, what I don't care for is someone saying you have to have a heavy or lite arrow to be able to take what ever game your hunting, what ever you shoot with a excal lite or heavy will get it done as long as you do your part, they all work.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:It's what your happy with, lite, heavy if it POI is where you want there you go, be happy, what I don't care for is someone saying you have to have a heavy or lite arrow to be able to take what ever game your hunting, what ever you shoot with a excal lite or heavy will get it done as long as you do your part, they all work.
Whoa, say it so! :) Like Wes said basically whatever floats yer boat. We all tinker & we all play wid this stuff til we get what we likes. Its all about the person themself & what they want from their Excal or crossbow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rkornrumpf

Post by Rkornrumpf »

Thanks guys. Its was grouping great before and its grouping great now. I guess i was putting to much emphasis on FOC, however it does seem to hit like a ton of bricks now. I plan to hunt with it and have a range finder, so guessing distance wont be much of an issue. String jump was a concern as I have a varizone scope thats setup out to 50. With the naked eye it looks plenty fast, but its the naked eye and those damn deer can flinch fast. I guess the only true way to find out is get out there and hunt with it.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I shoot a 470 grain total weight with tip 2219 aluminum arrow out of my Matrix 355. I estimate it's close too 315 FPS, but I don't care. I practise to 40 yards, but my maximum hunting range is 30 yards. I know it's super accurate and easy on my limbs.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Rkornrumpf

Post by Rkornrumpf »

Yooper,

Out of curiousity why would you limit yourself to 30 yards? If your accurate at 40 why not shot at 40?
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Rkornrumpf wrote:Yooper,

Out of curiousity why would you limit yourself to 30 yards? If your accurate at 40 why not shot at 40?
It's my set personal limit. I also like the thrill of the hunt and getting them closer is more fun for me. I use a my Leupold scopes single cross hair from 0 - 30 yards, so its fast and easy to center on a broadside deer and squeeze the trigger.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

My arrows are right at about 475 grains out of my Axiom. No idea how fast I am shooting, but at 30 yards and under I feel the bow is plenty fast...deer do not react until after arrow is through them and in dirt. Doubt your extra 20gr would matter much
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's not just a matter of weight . . .it's the distribution of weight. You still want to maintain a reasonable FOC in order to keep the arrow from "nose diving".

Otherwise, downrange accuracy will suffer and those yardage markers on your recticles could be off.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen