String Jump

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Significent

Re: String Jump

Post by Significent »

Kegbelly, I just finished reading though the thread you referenced:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ased+range

I searched the forum before sending the first post in this thread but didn't see it.

Most of the thread speaks to the difference between the 380 and 405. I believe the spreadsheet supports, in large part, the numbers that were posted. BTW, they assume the speed of light when referring to the deer seeing the bow fire. It's interesting to note in the spreadsheet the difference in drop between the 380 and 405 at different yardages.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Yeah, when I started that thread I had every intention of getting a 405 but ended up getting a 380 for a couple reasons. But there was some good talk on reaction times and such though.
I'm still of the opinion that given the speed and flat trajectories of modern equipment, string jump is much less of a factor than it used to be... the arrows are getting faster and faster and a deer has less and less time to react. It can still happen of course, but I really dont worry about it too much at shot distances out to 40 yards or so.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Significent

Post by Significent »

Kegbelly, assuming you're shooting 400gr arrows, your 380 is probably pumping them out at about 355fps. At that speed, assuming the spreadsheet is right, a deer still has plenty of time to completely jump the arrow if it sees the bow movement. Of coarse, at 40 yards, that's less likely. Reacting only to sound, a deer could still potentially drop 5.6 inches but, again, at 40 yards it's more likely to be relaxed and less likely to jump.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

The "String Jump" term is commonly used. We all know it's an animals natural movement "reaction" to dip or drop when startled in an attempt to flee. Great thread.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Significent

Post by Significent »

Scott, do you have any details of an occasion when you experienced a deer ducking your arrow that I could plug into the spreadsheet and analyze?
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Sure, anything can happen. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, I'm saying as arrow speeds increase, the odds of one jumping a string decreases simply because they have less time to do so.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Significent wrote:Kegbelly, assuming you're shooting 400gr arrows, your 380 is probably pumping them out at about 355fps. At that speed, assuming the spreadsheet is right, a deer still has plenty of time to completely jump the arrow if it sees the bow movement. Of coarse, at 40 yards, that's less likely. Reacting only to sound, a deer could still potentially drop 5.6 inches but, again, at 40 yards it's more likely to be relaxed and less likely to jump.

Question, what are you calling bow movement, if you mean the flex of the limbs on the shot =dead deer if the hunter does his or her part. If you mean the hunter moving the bow and the deer sees it, most the time the deer is already in the alert mood and it's ready to leave, it's up to the hunter if you believe in string jump don't shoot, up to 40yds I'm shooting, shot to many looking right at me. The bows today are more than capable and being faster than a deer's reaction. Shoot um.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Significent

Post by Significent »

Kegbelly wrote:Sure, anything can happen. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, I'm saying as arrow speeds increase, the odds of one jumping a string decreases simply because they have less time to do so.
Agreed. No argument here.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
Significent

Post by Significent »

L&S, I've been referring to "flex of the limbs on the shot". Hopefully, everyone follows through on their shots and doesn't move otherwise for a second or two.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If you saw the video then you can see the deer react to the hunter as it threw its head up. Its then i shot her in the neck where i was aimin. Slow deer i doubt, maybe jus was tired of livin :) Anyway y'all figure out the deer's reaction to noise eyesight n such. Iam gonna jus kill'em :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Its too early to consider checking out your math lol but my first xbow deer was at 28yards in my tree stand, a shot I had practiced with a target from my stand using my Exocet 200 , the deer was slightly nervous coming into my shooting lane, I shot and ended up hitting her just under the spine and she dropped 6 ft from where she stood.
I felt like crap knowing this could have ended very badly and knew I got lucky and never will shoot a deer who is not completely calm.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Significent

Post by Significent »

Bullzeye, any idea how fast your arrow was travelling?
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
GTFG Lumenoks
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have no access to a chrono, so no I do not.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

vixenmaster wrote:If you saw the video then you can see the deer react to the hunter as it threw its head up. Its then i shot her in the neck where i was aimin. Slow deer i doubt, maybe jus was tired of livin :) Anyway y'all figure out the deer's reaction to noise eyesight n such. Iam gonna jus kill'em :)
X2 on that one Mike!!!! :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've seen deer not react to gunshot that was on the next ridge 100 yards away. I'm not so sure they react to sound as much as they try to avoid the arrow.

I like your idea . . .just not so sure how useful it will be. Too many variables.

We need to focus more on human error and eliminating that.

I've also shot under them before and they didn't react until the arrow hit the ground at their feet from 40 yards(I used the wrong pin once and underestimated the yardage once). I tried a 50 yard dhot with a compound bow and the deer left the scene before the arrow hit . . .so . . . :?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen