Trigger Tech Round 2 - The Single Stage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Trigger Tech Round 2 - The Single Stage

Post by IronNoggin »

Installing the Hunting Model (2.5 lb pull) of Trigger Tech's Triggers in my Matrix 380 last year was one of the Better Improvements I've encountered with this bow! It was easy to install, and I found it to be as Fine & Crisp a trigger as many of those high-end custom jobs in my best rifles! Between that and a few other mods, it wasn't long before my target groups shrunk down to almost unbelievably tight spreads at some serious distances!

Good to Go, and She served me Right Well through the hunting season - in fact, taking my largest ever Blacktail with it!

When Frank and The Boys came out with the Single Stage Trigger, I expressed a little interest. And so, shortly thereafter, I received a spanky new Target (1.75 lb break) version to try out in the mail...

Although I was damn Keen to try it out, many many things conspired against me for doing so. Related a few of them in this post: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=52776

Finally, after literally months streaking by, I was able to get out yesterday to give it a spin...

Day broke foggy and overcast, but promised to bring sunshine shortly. Loaded up and rolled out. Upon arrival at our chosen spot, the fog didn't "drift" away, it was being RIPPED off the mountain by a Strong & Gusty Westerly. Dammit! :(
Although I recognized these weren't the best conditions to shoot in, I was already there and had waiting far too long for this. So, I set up the target, and went to work...

The bow loaded right nicely, same "click" into battery position as with the hunting trigger. Lined up on the target at 20 yards, and let three roll:

The outside (Black) bulls are 4" in diameter, inside florescent ones 2". Not at all bad (around a 3/4" grouping) considering I was launching into a steady 20-25 mph wind with gusts over 30!

First thoughts on the Trigger: MAN! This thing is LIGHT! So light the first shot (far right) went off before I expected it to! :shock:
In years past, I shot long range rifle competitions, and recalled the methods I employed then running a light trigger. The next two shots went off pretty close to when I wanted them to, and I was pleased with their results.

No "creep" to this Trigger whatsoever, it is a True Single Stage. What you get instead is an Instant Wall the split second you touch it. And the Break is so damn CRISP as to put a Big Grin on any Shooter's face! Many have likened it to breaking a glass rod. If that's the case, it must be made of the Finest Crystal!

Tail Wagging, I retrieved my arrows, and commenced a few more rounds.

30 Yards, and still sub MOA!

Still learning the Trigger, two of these shots "surprised" me when they launched. But that was due to improve by settling down and putting in a little more practice...

Out to 40 yards:

Only "surprise" here was once again the first shot. Far right. Getting Better! :D

Continued...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: Trigger Tech Round 2 - The Single Stage

Post by IronNoggin »

Prior to taking that "benched" (shooting with the forearm over an old log) 40 round group, I decided to try a round offhand. I practice a lot in this manner with both my rifles and bow, so am somewhat used to doing so...

Although the wind was actually even more Gusty, I decided to run 3 factory Diablo's as well as 3 of Big John's Works Of Art out there:

Not at all Shabby for standing on my hind legs! :D

The Trigger continued to Amaze, and I found I was getting more used to it's lighter characteristics with each round.

Out to 50 Yards:

Now we're getting somewhere! A little more used to the trigger, each of these left the bow very close to the moment intended!

Gotta Try 60 yards!

aYup! SWEET!!

Out to 70 yards:

Due to the constant and gusty wind, it took a couple of rounds to achieve this, my best grouping at that range. So I wandered in a little closer, and let a few more fly. Results pretty well matched all those previous at any given distance.

Continued...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Very nice shooting "Nog!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great work out & some fine shootin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Equipment used for this Test was as follows:

Matrix 380 Xtra:

Like this shot due to the background:

But this one shows the Bow just a little better:

The bow is fitted with a Custom Boo String (I shoot none other), Hawke's XB-30 Compact with reticles out to 100 yards (which I Really Like!), and Trigger Tech's Target Single Stage Trigger.

Arrows were Big John's Luminok equipped version of the .001 Black Eagle Executioners, and as always, performed with Precision. Again, I but rarely shoot anything else - For A Reason!! :wink:

Target Bag is a self-made job, old grain bag stuffed with rags and discarded neoprene waders.

Overall I would rate the Trigger Tech Single Stage Trigger as a 10 out of 10. :D
It was a little lighter than I am used to with the bow, but once I had that figured, was a Delight to shoot. This trigger in fact surpasses several I have in my rifles! The Break, as noted, is Incredibly Clean & Crisp, and I was still Grinning when I got home as a consequence...

My initial thought was that this trigger might be a tad too light for hunting purposes. Thus, I did not lock-tight several of the bolts when re-assembling the bow after installing it. How much do I like it? Well... Let's just say that today I am running those bolts out and applying a little lock-tite on each, and Definitely Plan on hunt Black Bears with it a little later this spring!

Regular Disclaimer here: I am Not associated with Trigger Tech beyond using and admiring their splendid workmanship on their products! Methinks anyone looking for The Best they can bring out of their bow cannot go wrong by using them!!

Final Note: Also got a little practice in with Betsy - The Bear Medicine Machine. Always close on hand for "back-up" when we are chasing bruins in the timber :twisted:

Shoulder is still smarting a little after that today! :oops:

Many Thanks to Excalibur, Boo, Big John, many of the Fine Folks here, and of course Trigger Tech for providing me with The Best A Man Can Get! Looking forward to many Seasons of Fun with this Beautiful Bow by my side!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks for the kind words Gentz! :D
But methinks it is relatively "Easy" to Look Good with such Fine Equipment in your hands!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That is just amazing shooing Nog. :D
Solid19xX

Post by Solid19xX »

Reading this got the TT Stage1 calling me... 8)
Micro 335_Black (Leupold Mark AR Mod1 SPR)
Matrix 330_Black (Leupold FXII 2.5x20)
Matrix 355_RealTreeX (TactZone)
Mathews ZXT_Black (SpotHogg Hunter)
Summit Viper SD
Normous

Post by Normous »

There must be something in the air, water or food in British Columbia Canada because I notice Nog and Paulaboutform shooting the tightest off hand shots past 50 that I have ever seen.

Notice anything in common here?
-Boo strings
-TriggerTech
-Black Eagle Arrows.

Nice shooting guys!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

NIce report, well done!
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Great review ! Thanks ! I have to admit , I've been on the fence about a TT trigger but not anymore ! Got to have one !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

enormous wrote:There must be something in the air, water or food in British Columbia Canada because I notice Nog and Paulaboutform shooting the tightest off hand shots past 50 that I have ever seen.

Notice anything in common here?
-Boo strings
-TriggerTech
-Black Eagle Arrows.

Nice shooting guys!
Must be the thin mountain air because you and I run the same setup Norm. It's gotta be that we have to shoot through the smog in Windsor... :lol:

Note to self: don't ever shoot 3D in the same group as Nog or Paul!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Very nice shooting!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Another awesome read Nog!! Thanks
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice shooting, and writing Nog. I am also a big fan of the off hand shooting, but i think you might best me sir!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!