Court dismisses animal welfare case against spring bear hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ont_Excal

Court dismisses animal welfare case against spring bear hunt

Post by Ont_Excal »

Ontario's spring bear hunt will go ahead this week, after a court turned down a bid Tuesday by two animal welfare groups to block the hunt just one day before its scheduled start.

Liz White of the Animal Alliance of Canada said she is disappointed and hopes the reasons for the decision — when released by the court — will provide some insight.

"We'll see what they say. There may be some interesting stuff in those decisions,” she said.

“But, the fact of the matter is, there is still going to be hunting take place in the spring and cubs are going to be orphaned."

White said her group will now focus on a political campaign, to target the Liberals for reinstating the hunt.

Black Bear
The first spring bear hunt in Ontario in 15 years is set to open Thursday, and there is debate over the controversial decision. (File Photo)

Natural Resources minister David Orazietti said he is waiting to see how many licences are issued, now that the court has cleared the way.

“There may have been some lack of uptake as a result of people being aware that this action was being taken and that [the hunt] might not be able to proceed,” he said.

Animal Alliance of Canada and Zoocheck Canada challenged the pilot project, arguing mother bears would be killed and their orphaned cubs would be left to starve or be killed by predators.

Their application for a judicial review argued the hunt would be contrary to animal cruelty provisions in the Criminal Code.

The spring bear hunt, which has been cancelled since 1999, is slated to begin May 1 and run for six weeks. The pilot hunt will take place in eight wildlife areas known for having the most public safety incidents involving bears.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-b ... -1.2626888
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Bullzeye

Re: Court dismisses animal welfare case against spring bear

Post by Bullzeye »

They finally opened a spring bear hunt(bow + x- bow only)for my zone here in Quebec also. Wish I knew earlier, now to find a spot.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

That is good news . :)
I personally can`t see me partaking in the spring bear hunt again . Because it will interfere with spring turkey . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Excellent! I would really like to see hunting seasons and bag limits for all species based on actual wildlife and habitat maintenance to ensure a healthy and sustainable resource....NOT POLITICAL POPULARITY! As hunters our cause may be self serving but nonetheless WE are the true conservationists. That's my two bits. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mitch

Post by mitch »

It is illegal to shoot a mother bear with cub. But those idiot are still using that to push there case. I do not hunt bear but I am for the spring bear hunt.Way to many bear are shoot and left to root instead of being use for their meat and skin. I have been told that the meat is better in the Spring because it as less fat.I know of a single logging camp who shoot 12 nuisance bear in one summer. Around here it is s.s.s. Shoot shut-up shovel .
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Little to far fer this rebel to travel but I'm glad u yanks are getting to hunt more instead of less :D
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

It finally came to appoint where a hunt was the best way to tackle the issue of bear over population.
Municipalities wanted to borrow bear traps to remove problem bears but the OMNR refused to allow it. Instead the traps just sat and rusted.
Every municipality that I searched for bear problems kept saying the same thing but it fell on deaf ears at the OMNR.
The fall hunt was never much of a management tool because too many other hunting seasons were on at the same time.
The fall bear hunt had too short a time frame as well.
And as was mentioned, spring bear is the most tender meat and much less fat to deal with.

The ban was never really about orphaned cubs as portrayed by media and animal psychoses. The OMNR always had the right to make wildlife management decisions without court or public interference.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"