M380 blows [Picture]

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: M380 blows [Picture]

Post by Normous »

The broken Lumenoks may indicate that the arrow may not have been seated 100% on the string and a partial dryfire caused the limb tip stress. If brace height was low then additional stress may occur on the limb tip. Also, the string slamming into the Lumenock if not seated 100% may cause damage to the Lumen. as you mention.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Sorry to hear about your bow ! Hope you get it going quick ! Was wondering what brace height you were shooting ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Very unfortunate timing with hunting season and all. At least there taking care of it quickly. I take my vacation the last 2 weeks of archery every year. I thought about the same thing happening so I bought a 330 this year for a backup. At least your ok and didn't get hurt.

Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

One thing for sure.....nothing is perfect. I have seen lots of people who had their hunting season ruined for all sorts of reasons ranging from broken firearms, very bad weather, sickness, accidents, etc.
Vortex
Boo

Post by Boo »

typical10 wrote: It actually gave me a warning I didn't recognize. I shot my first shot off the bench and it went 15 yards and nose dived, I reloaded and it did it again and this time it made a very loud crack. Both lumenocks were broken off in the process.
Like Norm pointed out, these two indicate that there's a high probability that you had a partial dry-fire.
I've had a couple of partial dry-fires (slow learner in my Exocet 165 days) and I also recognize that the anti dry-fire mechanism can give a false signal that the arrow is fully seated.
Two things for sure. Excalibur took care of you regardless of what happened and if you see that it is possible that you made a mistake, it's unlikely you'll have a partial dry-fire in the future.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Is it possible the limb struck something when the bow was shot?
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Cossack wrote:Is it possible the limb struck something when the bow was shot?
I was sitting on a bench with no obstruction. jeff~
colouredchameleon

Re: M380 blows up

Post by colouredchameleon »

ch312 wrote:Call me crazy, but it seems that I have heard about more quality issues in the last year or two than I have in the entire 10-11 years that I've owned an Excalibur.

Limbs should be tested well beyond their intended draw weight to ensure poor quality limbs never leave the factory in the first place...

May be some truth to your first statement I have been starting to sense the same thing over the last few months myself.

As to pretesting I would be surprized that Excalibur would 100 % test every thing before they are shipped.
Random sampling at best I would hope.
The best I would expect is at least a final inspection prior to packaging considering the risks associated with its intended use.
ch312

Re: M380 blows up

Post by ch312 »

colouredchameleon wrote:
ch312 wrote:Call me crazy, but it seems that I have heard about more quality issues in the last year or two than I have in the entire 10-11 years that I've owned an Excalibur.

Limbs should be tested well beyond their intended draw weight to ensure poor quality limbs never leave the factory in the first place...

May be some truth to your first statement I have been starting to sense the same thing over the last few months myself.

As to pretesting I would be surprized that Excalibur would 100 % test every thing before they are shipped.
Random sampling at best I would hope.
The best I would expect is at least a final inspection prior to packaging considering the risks associated with its intended use.
The least I would expect is regular random testing to see how much force is required to make the limbs fail from each lot produced. For all we know there could be a number of bows with limbs from the same batch that could potentially fail at any time due to a bad batch of adhesive and/or limb tips.

Quality control is what it's all about...
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Not knowing what proto call was I called Woody's on Friday after lunch and told him my story of the limb tip letting go. He sent a new set of M380 limbs, no questions, out Saturday 2nd day USPS and they were here Monday waiting for me. I installed them and stepped out the shop door and shot without any scope adjustments, 3 shots touching in the bull, [SWEET] Many businesses could learn a thing or two on great customer service from Excalibur. thanks jeff~
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Call me crazy, but it seems that I have heard about more quality issues in the last year or two than I have in the entire 10-11 years that I've owned an Excalibur.
I just wanted to pipe in here and make a few comments about the Matrix limbs. As many of you know I take care of our warranty department and I track every failure regarding any crossbow or accessory component. The Matrix limb failures have been significantly less percentage wise than any limb we have ever made. The difference is out sales volume is substantially higher plus social media now lets more people know of every problem.

We also test our limbs to thousands of cycles so we know when or if they will fail. This does not mean we will never have a failure but the percentage is less than 1%.

Peter
tommybobusa

Post by tommybobusa »

I wonder if These recent problems with The Matrix Crossbows have anything to do with the recent merger with that other company maybe with lax of Quality Control and personal attention given by Excalibur before, I hope not I bought a 355 but haven't shot it that much spent lots of money and sold a perfectly good Parker Tornado .
strum

Post by strum »

tommybobusa wrote: sold a perfectly good Parker Tornado .
is there such? :lol: :lol: :lol:
just kidding man..but on a serious note ..I think Peter addressed this fairly well.
I mean the sales on the matrix bows have greatly increased and many if not most are being sold to first time crossbow user..Who proceed to dry fire,partial dry fire ect..( not a jab at you Typical10). almost every one on here has done the same thing and most of us have visited the warranty department :D
I have ran my 380 through a fair amount of testing and just like the 3 excels before ..its a fine machine. I see no problems at all.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Bird

Post by Bird »

My 405 did the same thing this morning. This is not the only issue I have had with this bow. I am truly disappointed in this bow, so much so that I have also thrown in the towel and ready to move on. The bow has been down for one reason or another more than it's been working. I will not bash Excalibur, because they have taken care of all the issues, I just don't trust the bow and can't depend on it.
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Sorry for your misfortune, I missed two turkey seasons on two breakdowns, I know what you mean, it better be over on this one~