Small diameter strings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Small diameter strings?

Post by ch312 »

Just wondering who offers the smallest diameter and lightest string out there to squeak every last bit of speed out of the Exomax as possible.

What is the minimum number of strands of material "X" that could be used and still be safe?

What is the breaking strength of each individual strand of normal bow string materials?

Could you use 250 lb Power Pro fishing line (.035" diameter) to make a smaller string?

What is the minimum breaking strength required for a string to stay in the safe zone? Assuming the PP line would be okay to use, a 4 strand string would have a breaking strength of 1000 lbs and an overall diameter of 0.14" (just under 1/8") which seems much smaller than normal strings.
nchunterkw

Re: Small diameter strings?

Post by nchunterkw »

I'd worry about a very small diameter string slipping under the arrow and creating a partial dry fire. I've had that happen with a FFF string and some plastic nocks on some arrows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

JMO:
If you want more speed then buy a faster bow!!!
String makers use a specialized material and not fishing line for a reason.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Ont_Excal wrote:JMO:
If you want more speed then buy a faster bow!!!
String makers use a specialized material and not fishing line for a reason.
X2- I wouldn't be messing around with that.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer askin fer Trouble! 2500 lbs avg. maybe abit more on Danny Miller's 24 Strand. His string is about as fast as they come. Don't want to get below center of nock. String dia. guess here .160-.180 area. You want speed step up to the 380 fer 370-375 area
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2! I use Rhino for it's strength, and accuracy, speed is my last concern. That bow should be fast enough for hunting.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
strum

Post by strum »

there is a string made with AM that is the fastest I ever shot..
don't know if he makes em any more but a certain string maker sent me one once to try..that string clocked the fastest speed my exomax ever saw..
it has zero creep and a lot of shock.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

strum wrote:there is a string made with AM that is the fastest I ever shot..
don't know if he makes em any more but a certain string maker sent me one once to try..that string clocked the fastest speed my exomax ever saw..
it has zero creep and a lot of shock.

X2
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The fastest string I've tested was an EL made from Angel string material. It was a full 100 grns lighter than the stock Flemish string. While it was some 15 fps faster than the 200 gr Flemish, when using the same arrow, the shot was both considerably harsher (vibration) and louder.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

The new fishing lines on the market are very strong. However, they are very weak when it comes to shock tests due to the fact that they have next to zero stretch.

Maybe if you twisted a bunch of fishing line, you could make a decent string.

I wouldn't try it myself....I would be to worried about string breakage. I bought a string from Xcal recently and I will be putting it on my Vortex soon.

I want to to the replacement when it gets nice enough to shoot outdoors. I want to compare the point of impact between the old string and the new one.
Vortex
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My personal experience with testing the thin strings . . .the thinner string leaves you with a higher chance of a partial dryfire because you have less string actually touching the nock.

You need to take some precautions and make sure the string is centered upon the nock.

I personally started shooting the thicker strings after testing several of the faster, thin strings. My accessment, the thicker string offered more stability and thus better accuracy. No need to get there fast if you end up in the wrong location.

Anyway, if you get too thin, then you increase your chances of a partial dryfire . . .unless you cover those bases. Your tiller may need to be adjusted.

Good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ch312

Post by ch312 »

dabluz wrote: Maybe if you twisted a bunch of fishing line, you could make a decent string.
This is what I am talking about. Use the same method to make the string but with a stronger, smaller, and lighter material to make a string of fewer strands.

I'm not really concerned about vibration or sound. I just want to know if it can be done safely or not and if anyone is making them.
strum

Post by strum »

ch312 wrote:
dabluz wrote: Maybe if you twisted a bunch of fishing line, you could make a decent string.
This is what I am talking about. Use the same method to make the string but with a stronger, smaller, and lighter material to make a string of fewer strands.

I'm not really concerned about vibration or sound. I just want to know if it can be done safely or not and if anyone is making them.
the last words of a red neck: "Hey yall !! Watch this!!"
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Dash

Post by Dash »

With some of the new string materials being 3-4 times stronger than Dacron, its possible to get a very low strand string with enough strength to do the job, as long as you use a very thick center serving to help re-center the string/nock contact point.
But personally I think there's very little for you to gain by this, and a lot to lose.
A string with too low a strand count will comprimize longetivity of the string and limbs,bad creep,shock, noise. Its not really worth a few FPS.
Rather than putting a nitrox kit and supercharger on a mini engine which will flog out in no time, your better off buying a bigger engine that's designed to do the job comfortably.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well said!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!